News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Opening Day 1962

Started by squibber, September 16, 2009, 12:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squibber

This article is for those who like nostalgia.  Lots of familiar names.  Unfortunately, the Giants lost this game.

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2009/09/this_day_in_browns_history_jim.html

LennG

great stuff Squibber.

We may have started slow, but we still won the divsion again over those Brownies, and finished 12-2.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Webster29

squibber:   Thanks for posting that.  I enjoyed it despite the results of the game and my main man Big Red had a couple of fumbles that led to the Giants loss.

It really brought back some great memories of my youth.  I have told the story many times but one of the big reasons I became a Giants fan was that back in the late 50's and early 60's the only NFL football we could get here in Western NY was Cleveland Browns games on CBS channel 4 out of Buffalo.  And it seemed like the only team good enough to give the Browns a decent game was the Giants.  So I started rooting for Big Blue.   More like Big Gray on our old Sylvania Silvertone b&w tv.  And I worked up a pretty good dislike for the Browns but no one had more respect for the talent they had.  Watching the movie The Express about Ernie Davis made me wonder just how good they might have been if he had not tragically died and could have been in the same backfield with Jim Brown.   Could have been scarry.

Anyway-thanks again.

bighitterdalama

Who was the NFL Coach of the Year in '62?

Webster29

OK  Bighitter    I'll just bet it was "BY BY ALLIE"

bighitterdalama

Easy one for the Big Red. He was actually Coach of the Year for '61 and '62.

spiderblue43

Before he was serenaded out of NY to the strains of "Goodbye Allie" in '69, Allie Sherman, as mentioned, was NFL Coach of the Year back-to-back in '61 & '62. Does anyone realize he was also a Steagle, the WWII-driven merger team consisting of the Eagles/Steelers?