Author Topic: Good (or bad) Movies  (Read 161113 times)

OGHWGA

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Good (or bad) Movies
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 03:37:03 PM »
Watched Mission Impossible III last night and thought it was dumb.  Phillip Seymour Hoffman is always good but IMO the only movie in this series that was any good was the first one.

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 626
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 04:50:35 PM »
Rich

I remember when that movie came out and seeing the previews then, I already know, it just won't be for me.  It got a terrible write up, and made absolutely no money, even on the DVD route. Gibson reslly went over the cliff with this one. I know it is go9ry and that just donesn't sit well in our home.
 I'll take a pass on it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 229
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 08:28:42 PM »
Finally watched Borat recently and loved it.  I think what helped was a friend told me ahead of time to watch it with a "Candid Camera" frame of mind.  What made it funny to me was the people's reaction to the different situations more so than the actual jokes.  Having said that I can certainly understand why people did not like this movie.

Someone mentioned "Taking of Pelham 1,2,3" - I had forgotten all about that movie, I loved it, all those years ago.

I'm a bit behind on watching newer movies but would like to add "A Beautiful Mind" as a movie I really enjoyed.

chiller99

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2007, 09:44:42 PM »
Hostel 2 coming out soon,,,gory blood  etc

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2007, 10:12:56 PM »

Thanks Chiller, I'll immediately add that to my "Do Not Watch' List

You know what we re watched this weekend, Kill Bill I & II.

You know when these movies came out, I said the same as I did to the movie you mentioned, just too much blood and gore for me. But my son's said, NO WAY DAD. Yes there is mucho blood, but it isn't gore type blood, it's more Hollywood blood that really looks painted on. To be honest, grudgingly I watched Kill Bill I, and I loved it, and couldn't wait to get to the video store for part II, which really was better than part I.
 They are weird type of movies, but together they are fantastic. Bloody, yes, all sorts of body parts are flying all over the place, but it is done in a sort of cartoonish way, where it just isn't gory.

Both these movies got 4 stars and they re well worth it. On re-watching them this weekend, I still got hooked and was thoroughly engrossed in them again.

Kill Bill I and then II. Highly recommended.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 988
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 09:46:08 AM »
I also liked the Kill Bill movies (this was orginally one movie, but it turned out to be too long.  So they chopped it in half).  It's very entertaining and as Len said the gore and violence has a comical nature about it.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

T200

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 144
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 03:42:22 PM »
I like the way Tarantino puts his movies together.  He has a very different eye for how he wants a character to be portrayed.  Pulp Fiction is one of my favorites, but Kill Bill I & II are excellent time-killers.  Can't wait to see what he's going to do for KBIII.  Word on the street was that he had already started filming scenes for part three while shooting on two.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

OGHWGA

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 09:11:02 PM »
There's no KBIII.  Don't get your hopes up.  Read "The Kill Bill Diaries" by David Carradine at the library and rented KB 1 and 2 again and it was more interesting the second time around.

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2007, 09:47:41 PM »

Seraphim Falls-- Pierce Bronson, Liam Neeson and Anjelica Huston

Another movie I had high hopes for but never really gets into a groove. It just didn't have the danger, the suspense that I thought it would, and an ending, well, typical Hollywood. Good, but disappointing also.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 988
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 07:24:53 AM »
Watched two movies this weekend.   Both were subtitled.

The first was Pan Laybrinth.   Stange movie, that was made in Spain, so it's in Spanish.   The movie is a bit of a child's fairy tail.  However it's violent and the dark turns makes it unsuitable for adults.  Entertainment weekly had given it a great review, I don't see it.

Letters From Iwo Jima, this was the Compain movie Eastwood shot along with Flags of Our Fathers.  It was the one that was critically acclaimed and was nominated and I think received some awards.  I can see why.  It was a great movie.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

jimmyz

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2007, 02:04:29 PM »
I saw Bobby recently. Didn't necessarily center on Bobby Kennedy but moreso on the people who witnessed it and their every day lives leading up to the assassination. I thought it was very good.

On a sidenote.....Tarantino has begun writing a script for Inglorious Bastards which is a WW2 knockoff of The Dirty Dozen. Supposedly, it will be an ensemble cast with a bunch of action hero actors from the '80s.

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 05:35:02 PM »
Jimmy

I have gotten to the point of not holding my breathe waiting for these so called 'special' movies. Inevitably, they are disappointments and never live up to the billing. I haven't seen the new Pirates yet, but the reviews were so so and even though it's raking in bundles, it just isn't as good as previous ones.

On a side note, one movie, a few years back, that I just couldn't wait for was "matrix II'. I love the original Matrix, even though it took 3-4 viewings to really 8understand it, but once I did, I so eagerly awaited Matrix II, and it was a DUD, of epic proportions, and III was even worse, so, as I said, let's wait for these new, originals to make it to the screen, before I shell out $11.00 to see it. (Hey, by then I probably can get senior rates, WOW)

Charlie Weiss

chiller99

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
Watched The Departed last night and enjoyed it,Nicholson always makes a freaky character come alive and the plot had a few twists

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2007, 10:32:28 PM »
Chiller

I love Jack in almost all of his roles, but whenever he plays some one sinister, well, it's just perfect for him. I loved his performance in the Departed. I don't see how DiCaprio was nominated for actor and not Jack. He was tremendous and whenever he was on screen the movie took on a better feel. He has shown he can do it all in all sorts of roles, but the sinister character fits him to a tee.

Charlie Weiss

jimmyz

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2007, 12:40:58 AM »
I understand what you're saying Lenn. I am constantly let down by movies with ridiculous amounts of press and hype. I'm with you on the Pirates of the Carribean and Matrix. I didnt understand what the big deal was.

I actually just wanted to post the news for people here who are Tarantino fans. It sounds interesting anyways. I happen to be a fan of Tarantino as I loved Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. I also really liked Kill Bill 1&2 because of the imagery it put in my mind of the old Kung Fu flicks I grew up watching as a kid. If Inglorious Bastards lives up to the billing then I'll be pretty happy as Dirty Dozen is one of my all time favorite action flicks.