Author Topic: Good (or bad) Movies  (Read 157134 times)

Jim143

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
Re: Good (or bad) Movies
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2007, 06:15:28 PM »
Len

i was a fan of the first two pirates movie - and my kids wanted to see it.  I normally like to sit as far back as possible, center screen, but this time, because it is 2 3/4 hours long, I told my daughter I wanted an isle seat because I didnt know if I could make it with out a bathroom break (and you cant pause a theater showing like Tivo) and I really didnt want to step over anyone and ruin their view if only for a moment. . .. 

Well, it wasnt as "good" as one or two, but the action was virtually non-stop so much that it was over before I knew it and I didnt have to hit the head at all during it.

I am not a fan of Tarantino so I doubt very much, if it was every made, that I would even waste my time seeing it.

I did see the Departed and really liked it.  There were some parts (no spoilers here) that really threw me because I wasnt expecting it. . .
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 679
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2007, 08:26:43 PM »
Jim

Did you see Pulp Fiction??. I know there are two schools of though on movies like this. Either you love them or hate them, there just in no middle ground. I loved Pulp Fiction and my wife thinks it is one of the worst movies ever made. If it didn't have Travolta in it, she never would have stayed thru the entire movie. It got a great write up, but many thought it just stunk.
Again, I never thought I would like the Kill Bill duo, but I loved them. Give them a shot. If you like some suspense and a lot of action, you will get hooked also.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 10:17:18 PM by LennG »
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jim143

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2007, 08:51:13 PM »
No, I havent seen Pulp Fiction or KB. . . I have seen Reservoir Dogs and was "ho hum" about it.  It really didnt strike me as anything special nor can I remember much about it.  It just didnt jump out and grab me. . . .for instance Boondock Saints - I was hooked on that movie about 5 minutes into it and still remember most of it even though I have only seen it once.

I tried to sit through KB I - and just couldnt get interested into it. 

I dont know why.  It might be because I was turned off from him when I saw an interview and he acted like everyone should bow down to him (my impression) and that arrogance just turned me off him.
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

Painter

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 102
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2007, 08:52:28 PM »
Pulp Fiction, and the Kill Bill flicks, as well as Usual Suspects are films I have watched many times over. So I guess I like them, huh?

Cheers!

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2007, 10:20:05 PM »
 My kids told me about "Usual Suspects". I watched it and watched it again and then a third time to be sure I got it all. Just a great movie that completely threw me for a loop. Kevin Spacey was great.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

T200

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 160
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2007, 10:01:57 AM »
Looks like somebody mentioned "The Usual Suspects" before I did.  The cast in that movie was just spectacular.  Everyone was made for their respective parts.  I loved how the entire movie played out.  I haven't met anyone who nailed the ending!
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2007, 05:46:45 PM »
 Saw "Letters from Iwo Jima" last night and, like MG, was very impressed. It was a very good movie. I wouldn't call it great, but very good. I love movies that deal with reality in war, while keeping the war time gore to a minimum. It really was a different kind of war movie than we are used to and Clint Eastwood is fast becoming maybe the best American director in some time. He nails this one.

We also took out this movie, "The Holiday". I really can't comment on it too much other than I watched the opening credits, fell asleep right after that, and never saw another inch of the movie. My wife did stay with it and liked it. I guess, that would put this in the 'Chick Flix' category. it did get a decent write up, so maybe at another time, I'll give it a shot.

After sleeping thru this last movie, I went upstairs to lay down, put the TV on, and what comes on, The Exorcist. I ended up staying up and watching this movie till the end. It is one of my all time favorite movies. Even knowing every part and 1/2 the lines, it's still gripping and fun to watch. With special effects the way theya re now, it makes what was once 'special' now seem tame, but it is still engrossing and still scary. Unlike the first time I saw it, I had no trouble falling asleep after it was over.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2007, 01:54:21 PM »
Saw a couple of new movies this weekend

Pan's Labyrinth
  I really don't know what to say but this one. I hated it, my wife hated it, my son liked it. It is just a weird movie, basically two movies in one. We liked the fantasy part but the war part, the killings and blood, jsut made no sense for waht this movie was trying to do or say. I really don't see how it got such a great review. Maybe for some, but I never got into it, never held my interest and I couldn't wait for it to be over.

The Good German
   This movie is in Black and White, and is a sort of tribute to all those post WWII movies and a bit of film noir mixed in. It stars George Clooney, and it isn't bad. If you remember that style of movie making and liked films that do a decent job trying to recreate the 40's style of movie making, you will enjoy this movie. the story is strong enough to hold your interest, and keep you watching. it is not great film making, but good enough.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 928
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2007, 05:29:17 PM »
Ghost Rider

This movie will never win any acedemy awards, but I enjoyed it.   It's a good action flick based on a second rate comic.

Bridge to Teribithia

The movie is not like the trailers would have you believe.  I was not all that happy with this movie.  Can't say more.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2007, 09:44:17 PM »

Just took out Ghost Rider and will let you know what I thought.

We also got something called Mrs Potter, and will review that tomorrow.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2007, 03:15:59 PM »

Sorry it took me so long to watch these two movies

Ghost Rider
 From what Rich wrote, i thought I would like this movie a lot. I didn't. To be honest, I found it sort of boring. Maybe I just couldn't get into Nick Cage as a sort of super hero, but it just wasn't my style. Not many good special effects, and the story was just silly. Sorry Rich, I just wouldn't recommend this movie.

Mrs Potter
   To be honest, I enjoyed this movie more than Ghost
rider, but that isn't saying much. It's OK. I love Rene Zellweger and she was decent in this movie which is the story of
Beatrice Potter who wrote all those childrens books. My wife loved it, as you might call it a 'chick flick', but if you are into movies of this genre, it isn't all that bad. At least it has an IQ level above 25, and you must pay attention.

Charlie Weiss

T200

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2007, 04:07:52 PM »
Went to see a couple of movies: Hostel 2 and Mr. Brooks.

Hostel 2 was a lame attempt to follow Hostel.  The same amount of gore was evident, but the story was completely lacking.  The first one was much better.  I'd give this one a D+.

I liked Mr. Brooks.  Not much in the way of suspense and interaction between Demi Moore and Kevin Costner, but Costner and William Hurt played their roles very well.  I think they could have done more with Moore's character.  I'd give it a B.

Humbugin

• Rookie
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2007, 04:48:55 PM »
OH, I loved the Kill Bill movies...and Pulp Fiction was ok for me.  I was surprised, myself.  LOL

The only recent movie I've watched is Wild Hogs.  It was decent, had a few funny moments.  Easy watching, but not a blockbuster by any means. 

It isn't best that we all think alike; it is difference of opinion that makes horse races. - Mark Twain.

Sam56

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2007, 12:55:50 PM »
I remember when Pulp Fiction came out in '94, a couple of months after the late Gene Siskel and Rober Ebert gave it two very enthusiastic "Thumbs-Up", they did something very unusual for them. They actually devoted an entire show to Pulp Fiction. To say they thought the movie was innovative and great is an understatement.

Here's a small postion of Ebert's review:

"Quentin Tarantino is the Jerry Lee Lewis of cinema, a pounding performer who doesn't care if he tears up the piano, as long as everybody is rocking. His new movie "Pulp Fiction" is a comedy about blood, guts, violence, strange sex, drugs, fixed fights, dead body disposal, leather freaks, and a wristwatch that makes a dark journey down through the generations.

Seeing this movie last May at the Cannes Film Festival, I knew it was either one of the year's best films, or one of the worst.

Tarantino is too gifted a filmmaker to make a boring movie, but he could possibly make a bad one: Like Edward D. Wood Jr., proclaimed the Worst Director of All Time, he's in love with every shot - intoxicated with the very act of making a movie. It's that very lack of caution and introspection that makes "Pulp Fiction" crackle like an ozone generator: Here's a director who's been let loose inside the toy store, and wants to play all night.

The screenplay, by Tarantino and Roger Avary, is so well-written in a scruffy, fanzine way that you want to rub noses in it - the noses of those zombie writers who take "screenwriting" classes that teach them the formulas for "hit films." Like "Citizen Kane," "Pulp Fiction" is constructed in such a nonlinear way that you could see it a dozen times and not be able to remember what comes next. It doubles back on itself, telling several interlocking stories about characters who inhabit a world of crime and intrigue, triple-crosses and loud desperation. The title is perfect. Like those old pulp mags named "Thrilling Wonder Stories" and "Official Detective," the movie creates a world where there are no normal people and no ordinary days - where breathless prose clatters down fire escapes and leaps into the dumpster of doom.

The movie resurrects not only an aging genre....

If the situations are inventive and original, so is the dialogue. A lot of movies these days use flat, functional speech: The characters say only enough to advance the plot. But the people in "Pulp Fiction" are in love with words for their own sake. The dialogue by Tarantino and Avary is off the wall sometimes, but that's the fun. It also means that the characters don't all sound the same: Travolta is laconic, Jackson is exact, Plummer and Roth are dopey lovey-doveys, Keitel uses the shorthand of the busy professional, Thurman learned how to be a moll by studying soap operas.

It is part of the folklore that Tarantino used to work as a clerk in a video store, and the inspiration for "Pulp Fiction" is old movies, not real life. The movie is like an excursion through the lurid images that lie wound up and trapped inside all those boxes on the Blockbuster shelves. Tarantino once described the old pulp mags as cheap, disposable entertainment that you could take to work with you, and roll up and stick in your back pocket. Yeah, and not be able to wait until lunch, so you could start reading them again."

If you want to read the entire review, just look up "Roger Ebert's Review of Pulp Fiction". I left out a lot of "good stuff".
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 02:35:10 PM by Sam56 »

T200

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2007, 02:07:34 PM »
I was sold on the previews and trailers after seeing Sam Jackson with a drippy curl and Travolta with the slick-back do!  The scenes between those two are classic!

"All I'm sayin' is, you don't give another man's woman no foot massage."