News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH NFL Draft 2010 Preview - Running Back's

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 03, 2010, 08:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKGiantsFan

The talent available
This isn

MightyGiants

Ceri,

While I wouldn't mind a scat back added on day three of the draft, my feeling is the running game would be better helped by improving the line.   I think the running game was hurt more by poor blocking from the O-line, the TEs and the injured Hedgecock more than anything else. 

As for Ware having heard him speak of last season it sounds like he was really thrown for a loop mentally when he dislocated his elbow (a rather serious injury) on the very first play of the season.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Great write-up, Ceri; accurate and well-presented. Spiller is the most explosive RB in the draft by far. I'd love the Giants to have a home run hitter like him, but I doubt that they'll go that route. I don't think they'll feel the "need"

The Giants running game declined last year from top to the middle of the pack, but that was with both RBs playing with injury for most of the season. Both now report feeling great after surgeries. And even with the lesser production from the running game, the Giants offense finished in the top 10 in both yards and scoring. And they really liked Andre Brown before he tore his Achille's in camp, last year. He's reported to be running at full-speed, and feeling good. I think the Giants will go back to their 3 RB: 1a, 1b, 2 rotation as they did before they let Ward go assuming they all are healthy and stay that way.

It was defense that won a Super Bowl in '07 not Tiki- as much as we loved watching him dart for big gainers in the years before. And it was defense which made a mockery of the season just two years later. That's something which Reese & Co. can not allow to happen again. I expect the first three picks to focus on LB and Lines, D and O, not necessarily in that order. I also expect that both Spiller and McClain will be off the board before the Giant pick at 15.

Cheers!

Eli10

Great write up...

Painter - hypothetically - if MClain is not there and Spiller is at 15 - do you grab him?

I would - I love BJ and his fire - but he has not proved to be durable - AB I love as well but injuries could be problematic with him. DJ Ware - non entity as far as I can see....And Brown coming off injury is a question - but I think he will be fine. I hate the log jam that could be present there but Spiller is fantastic and he gives us a dimension we are missing....

My opinion - too good to pass up....But a good OC and HC would find a way to get a guy like that on the field and get him his touches..

My guess though - he will not be there at 15...Fins will grab him if McClain is gone..

Painter

I might, Eli. I sure would be tempted.  But I don't think the Giants will for the reasons I've given.

If McClain is there, I think they'll take him. If not, I suspect that they'll go for a Dlineman (Dan Williams, Derrick Morgan) at 15, a LB at 46, and an Olineman at 76

Cheers!

Eli10

I tend to agree Painter - and Morgan has intrigued me as of late...Unsettled situation with Osi and Kiwi is due up next year...Morgan has great skills...

My wish is simple - McClain ( not likely ) Spiller ( not likely ) but Williams I think may be there at 15 if both these are gone and there appears to be love for Thomas and Morgan that might drop Williams to us...

I am just such an Eli guy and would love to see him with a full complement of weapons and Spiller just blows me away with his skill set...

bamagiantfan

Quote from: Eli10 on April 03, 2010, 12:36:25 PM
Great write up...

Painter - hypothetically - if MClain is not there and Spiller is at 15 - do you grab him?

I would - I love BJ and his fire - but he has not proved to be durable - AB I love as well but injuries could be problematic with him. DJ Ware - non entity as far as I can see....And Brown coming off injury is a question - but I think he will be fine. I hate the log jam that could be present there but Spiller is fantastic and he gives us a dimension we are missing....

My opinion - too good to pass up....But a good OC and HC would find a way to get a guy like that on the field and get him his touches..

My guess though - he will not be there at 15...Fins will grab him if McClain is gone..

I just can't imagine teams passing on Spiller. Having other RBs is irrelevant. Look at how Minnesota, with two terriffic RBs took Harvin anyway, and while Farve gets most of the credit for that team getting one play away from the Superbowl, Harvin played a big part in that too. Spiller can immediately be used as a kick returner for all but maybe two teams (Minnesota and Cleveland) and can be a 3rd down back  or change of pace guy. He's a stud. I can't imagine him slipping by to the Giants. There's just too many teams he has to slide  by.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)