News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Tampa 2 as our new base defense

Started by dasher, May 14, 2010, 01:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dasher

Matt Bowen of the National Football Post is writing a series of articles that I think will be interesting to read. His first article is on the Tampa 2 Defense with specific comments this is what Perry Fewell will be bringing to the G-Men.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Inside-the-playbook-the-Tampa-2.html

MightyGiants

Dasher here is why I can't see the Giants using a Tampa 2 as their base D:

QuoteThe Mike Backer is the key to this defense and the reason I highlighted his drop in red. He has to be able to run with that inside vertical throughout the route and only at the throw will he get safety help. Think of Chicago and Brian Urlacher
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

squibber

It's better than the Stooge 3 Defense.

files58

That's why Wilkerson is being considered for the Mike. He is the only LB that when healthy has the ability to cover a TE.

Chris

Quote from: files58 on May 14, 2010, 09:44:53 AM
That's why Wilkerson is being considered for the Mike. He is the only LB that when healthy has the ability to cover a TE.
Flies, exactly. If healthy, Wilks has the proper skill set for the MIKE in the defensive scheme described in the link above.

Of course, the "if" in "if healthy" is Linval Joseph-sized. I am a Wilks fan and I don't have a lot of faith.

Didn't we play Cover 2 under Spags? Rush four, drop seven? Isn't the Tampa 2 just a riff on Cover 2?

MightyGiants

Cover 2 means two players deep in zone.  In front of that can be zone or M2M or some hybrid
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Eli10

Agree Wilks is the only one who can cover a TE or RB or for that matter Randy Moss - but all other MIKES are strong point of attack guys with that skill set. I do not see this as our base D....Our corners are press guys and this D is not a press D for the corners....If you play this D you negate what TT / Weby and Ross do best...

However you do play to the strength's of the S - KP / Rolle and Jones..

Chris - I too have always been a Wilks guy - last chance this year - too much speed and talent / shake the inj and see what we got..

MightyGiants

My problem with Wiilks is the lack of a second player with a similar skill set.  It's not a good idea to build a defense around a player that has a bad injury history.   The only way one should do that, is if they have a solid backup behind them, and that simply isn't the case with the Giants.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jerseyguy

didn't Fewell say when he was hired that he wasn't locked into any particular defense and that he would fit what he did to the talent available to him, if thats true then how does the media know what Fewell doesn't...

MightyGiants

Quote from: jerseyguy on May 14, 2010, 10:26:08 AM
didn't Fewell say when he was hired that he wasn't locked into any particular defense and that he would fit what he did to the talent available to him, if thats true then how does the media know what Fewell doesn't...

It's an assumption on their part based on what Fewell ran in Buffalo.   The style of defense will become more clear as the press sees mini-camp and OTAs and can see what they are running.  Plus as the players start to play in the new system their comments will also give hints as to what to expect.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

dasher

Just curious, but no one has really commented on his workshop on the Tampa 2.  A key is the N to control the A Gaps- I think that is where Joseph fits in.
I liked his discussion and descriptor of this D. I learned quite a bit from it. Looking forward to his next blackboard lesson.
By the way, Bowen is not your average media guy. He played the game for the Skins and is quite knowledgable with contacts. If he specifically mentions Fewell, I pay it a lot of credence- like the calm before the storm.
N: Rush A-gap weak with a two-way go on the offensive guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS9_ipu9GKw

worf49

Wilkerson is not a guy who is capable of staying on the field as by now we should recognize.
Dillard seems to posses pretty good speed from what I see on film but i think Fewell will adapt his schemes to fit the personnel.

Jaime

If the four man DL can't get sufficient pressure on the QB, we'll get toasted in the Tampa 2. We'll need a helluva' Mike for that Scheme, & that we ain't got.

Hooper74

Please don't run a read and react defense with these guys, they'll get blasted while they are trying to learn a system like that. Attack the majority of the time or we'll be seeing more blowouts this season. Man up, kill the QB with stunts and blitzes and hope the offense can score more than nine points against the good teams, that's my strategy anyhow, lol. 

jimmyz

Uh - oh.  Looks like the MLB matters afterall....even in the Giants Defense.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."