News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Tampa 2 as our new base defense

Started by dasher, May 14, 2010, 01:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vette5573

It's usually the Mike's responsibility to cover the vertical, just like it's the Sam's responsibility to cover the TE. Pierce had trouble covering anyone with speed last year and he knew he was slowing down, thus the weight loss for last season. It still didn't help him. I see the difference in the Tampa 2 as to where the Mike drops back in a pass recognition.

I like the safeties in cover 2 as they can split the field on the deep patterns. The trouble with last year was that the SS stayed in or bit on play action too often, leaving the FS on a huge Island by himself. If Phillips was healthy and played in that situation last year, most of the fans would be calling for his head too.

The Giants can employ a cover 2 in passing situations where the SS drops back while our corners play man and not a zone coverage. There will be press situations, man situations and there will be zone situations all based on down, distance, the size of the playing field, the score, the time on the clock and the team they are facing. It's all built into the playbook.

Let's give Coach Fewell the courtesy of actually developing his own refinement of an NFL defensive strategy before attempting to label him or his aspirations.

vette5573

"It's better than the Stooge 3 Defense."

I like you Squibber, I'll bet you're a lot of fun. Look forward to meeting you some day. :yes:

jerseyguy

LBer quality always matters and thats why I never could understand why some guys will say that LBers aren't very important anymore, I say quality LBers are critical to having a good defense .

MightyGiants

JG,
I think all 11 men on any defense are inportant.  I think what does differ from defense to defense is who has the play maker role.  As a general rule, with exceptions, the LBs are the play makers in the 3-4 and the DLs the play makers in the 4-3.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimmyz

The LBs are at the very least the reason for a lot of plays regardless of system.  The LBs hammer away on the ballcarriers.  If you have hard hitting nasty LBs, the cumulative affects of all that hitting takes its toll on receivers and backs alike.  The next time a DLinemen or Safety hits the ballcarrier maybe the ball comes loose.  Maybe without such mediocrity from the LBs, the QB doesnt have the quick pass and maybe the DE gets the sack instead of the almost sack.

Also, the LBs have equal responsibilities in run and pass so the fumble, the sack, the interception are all in a LBs arsenal of big plays. 

We dont scheme to our LBs because we dont have any worth scheming to.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

Jaime

Right off the hop, we play Skins, Girls, & Birds. Six games vs. TE's that can run & catch big-time.
I'm a little cloudy on this one. Whom exactly is runnin' vertically down the middle with these TE's in a Tampa two step? Please!
I'm all for blitzin' like crazy & playin' man. If we go down, go down swingin'.

jerseyguy

I'm just looking forward to the day when our defense is able to stop players like Witten and Cooley from making all the plays against our defense that get them into the pro bowl. There is no excuse for  Witten to get 12 to 15 catches  every time we play the Cowboys and Cooley always has a good day too. I haven't figured this out yet, is it the scheme we're playing or do we just give him all the mid range stuff and figure he can't get the YAC or do we just not have the talent to stop him ...

Gmo11

If given the choice between letting Witten beat them underneath or Owens/Austin beat them over the top, I think the Giants would and should prefer to let Witten be the guy.  Of course, it didn't always work out that way but they always had more success if they kept those WRs in check.  It didn't help that they haven't had a guy on the team capable of covering those type of players 1 on 1 until Boley and even he was hurt for much of the season.  Hopefully he stays healthy this year and when we pull  a LB off the field in Nickel and Dime sets he gets the call to cover the Wittens and Cooleys of the world.  I think he is very capable of doing the job about as well as anybody can cover a couple of Pro Bowlers.