News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Summer Training Camp Barbecue - Attendance & Shopping List

Started by G-Girl, June 14, 2010, 10:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murderhill

QuotePut me down for wine.  I'll stomp the grapes myself.

Anyone have a preference?

squibber, if you don't look something like these young women up above, then I'll pass on the wine.  otherwise I would suggest:
Pinot noir   
I looked this up
"Pairing Wine with Food"
Is Pinot Noir the ultimate food wine? 
  http://students.depaul.edu/~egrue  it's interesting stuff.
I'm sort of like the guy on the right :drunk:  Bushmills is my drug of choice.

squibber

Quote from: jimv on July 15, 2010, 01:05:17 PM
I'm already down for Shipyard Ale and I offered to bring paper goods.  Whast do you need?

Hey, squib, are you gonna wear your socks when you stomp the grapes? =)) =)) =))

Yes, Jim.  I wear old dingy white sox.  After I'm done stomping, they become purple dress socks.

I hope no one finds toe nails in their glass.

chiller99

save those socks they will match my Pirate gear for next season  at ECU games.

Jaime

G-Girl, great job there!

I will bring a case of assorted regular Stewart's soda, & a case of assorted Diet Stewart's soda.
I should arrive Fri. afternoon. Currently attending is me + 1. If others join us, I will respond asap.
Ciao,
Jaime

vette5573

I'm in. Linda and I will bring Chicken Wings and try to fit a grill in the car with a bag of charcoal. We are coming on Friday and leaving Sunday.

Who is up for dinner on Friday night and brunch Sunday morning?

We have done the Barnsider, Maggie's and the Japanese Hibachi place for dinner in the past. I thought Brunch at the Cheese Cake Factory was very good last year. 

Bill Brown

Vette;

Dinner on Friday night sounds like a great plan.  My wife and I hope to get to the Best Western across from the campus sometime between 3 - 5 pm.  Coming down from Maine so timing is not precise.  We are really looking forward to this.  It will be the first time I will get to meet the BBH group.   :happy:

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

pagan43

Vette,

Yeah!! It's great ro read that you and L are joining us again this year!

Dinner at the Barnsider was very good last year. They offer a pretty broad cross-section from seafood to steak, and they easily handled the separate checks for the big group. I vote for a return engagement.

I also agree that the Cheesecake Factory was an excellent choice for Sunday brunch, and wouldn't mind a return this year as well.

Count Cyndi and I in for both (where ever they are).

pagan43

Jaime

Count me in for Fri. nite dinner.
I'm goin' to try to arrive early Fri. to catch the 2:35 - 4:35 Practice. My chart said that it was an autograph session(?) what ever that entails. If anyone else is up to speed on this, give me a shout.

Jaime

pagan43

Jaime,

Last year the team encouraged the players to spend time after practice ended signing autographs for the fans who lined up along the fence.

Most of the players spent some time, although some did not spend a lot of time (so I was told), and some spent over an hour signing everything and talking to the fans.

I drove past it, and it was PACKED. But, it's still probably worth it to try to make it up to A-town a little earlier on Friday to take advantage of it.

pagan43

jimv

Glade to hear about Fri night dinner.  Count my friend & I in!  We'll be staying at the Best Western (first time there for me).  We plan on getting there in time for the Friday afternoon practice.  I'm trying to get Pat Traina to go to dinner Friday night.  She also has Gail & Ron Bahr and her husband with her.  I'll invite them if it's OK with you guys.  Pat has deadlines to meet and hasn't much time for socializing.  If she can't stay at the restaurant maybe we can get the Bahrs to stay.  They do training camp articles for IF & are VERY kinowledgable.  I'll check with my friend about Sunday brunch. 

BTW, Cyndi, can I give you my case of ale Friday night?  then I won't have to get to the picnic area at 7 AM.  Please say "yes" & take pity on me!

MightyGiants

I am up there from Thurs to Tuesday so count me in for everything.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Webster29

Dave:   I remember the autograph session last year and you are correct.   IT WAS PACKED.   I had bought a nice Manning photo over at the Crossgate Mall for a friend of mine at the sheriff's dept and was going to see if I could get Eli to sign it.  I took one look at that mob scene and decided he will be happy with just the picture.  Even Adam didn't stay for it and he is the autograph hound.

pagan43

I think it would be advantageous if we split the topics of Friday night dinner / Sunday morning brunch out to a separate thread, so that we can get a feel for consensus, and put together a pair of lists, while G-Girl wraps up the BBH BBQ coordination in this one.

Agreed?

pagan43

RemembersHuff

Hi folks, glad to see the planning coming along so well.

I was up near the park a couple weeks ago and drove in to see if anything's changed. The picnic and playground areas were the same as always, but it appears the caretaker's trailer is gone -- probably no on-premises staff any more, just city employees dropping in now and then as needed.

One thing: I can't promise it will be the same when you're there, but on the Monday morning I dropped by, the barrier was gone from that extra parking area we always used. It's possible they finally realized that leaving that lot open will help them avoid the parking nonsense we dealt with last year.

I checked with everyone I know at firehouses, etc. and hit a total brick wall on getting a large charcoal grill hauled up there.  Sorry about that, I'm sure it would have been useful.

The only other advice I've got:  Don't flaunt the beer in front of city employees or cops, since groups your size aren't supposed to have alcohol in the park without a permit. Nobody has ever given us a hard time about it, but just know that they could if they wanted to.

Have fun!

PS - I had my vacation dates fouled up, I'm actually leaving the morning of 8/7.  Not sure how hectic Friday the 6th will be yet, but if anyone is in town a day early and wants to get together at some point, please shoot me a note here or by email or give me a ring.

pagan43

Wow, Huffster!! You are STILL our man in Albany!! That's some good recon!

Reading about how the caretaker's trailer has been removed only confirms in my mind what we already suspected; cutbacks have probably eliminated the position. Last year that could have meant weekends without a caretaker. It probably means that this year weekdays are now without a caretaker too.

It's good news to read about how that gravel parking lot was opened up during your reconnaissance trip. G-Girl and I will aim for locking up some table close to that lot, as it makes for the shortest walks and the security of keeping our vehicles within sight.

When we originally put together our shopping list we eliminated "cups", as they were barely used last year. And, it reduced the list by one less item. However, if we take your warning about keeping the brewskys on the down-low, then maybe putting "cups" back on the list isn't a bad idea.

If we all use solid color (not clear) plastic cups to hold our beverages, we should avoid any unnecessary attention from the authorities.

Thanks for asking around about a barbecue for us. That was a good idea, and maybe it's something we can try for again next year. But, we have a few people bringing portable charcoal grills, and when we combine them with the grills provided in the park, I think we should be in pretty good shape.

Now... Can you get us some good intel on what the weather is supposed to be like?

pagan43