News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT-- I guess money can't buy everything

Started by LennG, October 23, 2010, 09:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

OK guys you knew this was coming. With being the highest salaried team in baseball, I guess all that money just cannot buy a championship every year. While everyone annointed the Yankees a World Series berth from day one, I guess the samller market teams hadn't heard.

Now all you Yankee fans will be crying for all those new Free Agents to help you win next year.  Wonder how much Cliff Lee will e costing??

Sorry guys, wait till next year.  :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

NYSPORTS

You can pretty much buy a playoff spot though.

joeynygiants

lee will take 5 years at 20-25 million.

since you said free agents, one key player who the yankees have loved for years is carl crawford.

so lee and carl mnaybe yanks in 2011.

jeter, andy, mo, and some others have contractsending this year, so time will tell about these guys.

Kmed6000

While Crawford would be an upgrade to all of the Yankees OF's, he would put a very good OF on the bench and therefore, I'm not so sure the Yankees make a run at him. 

joeynygiants

good point, but I hope tampa bay can keep him.

vette5573

I think it's more of a case where the other team just wanted it more and was clearly motivated to move ahead. The energy level was significantly higher.

Kmed6000

You can't say they wanted it more.  I find it hard to believe that jeter, arod, posada and the rest didn't want it as much.  I can't disagree with the energy level, but that's what comes with youth.  Yanks are an old team.

files58

Lenn, you're a Met fan, am I correct? If yes, sorry about that. I'm a diehard Yankee fan, but a realist. It's ALWAYS about pitching. If one watched them during the season this is what you saw. This staff gave up too many two out runs and two strike hits or walks. Combine that with being "wild in the zone" and not having an "out pitch" led to this disaster. The fifth inning the other night was just a microcosm of the season, Gurrerro two out hit, and Cruz's home run on a 1-2 count. Burnett and Vazquez are the worst offenders. Phil Hughes despite his 18 wins during the regular season did not show the stuff of a pitcher that can dominate. However he shows the ability to develop, so give him time. It's all in to sign Cliff Lee. Signing Crawford gives them four outfielders, and three lefty bats in the OF. Gardner, Grandy, Swisher, and Crawford. Swisher is valuable as a switch hitter and he puts up numbers. It's a tough call. If Pettitte retires and Vazquez is dumped there's the 20-25MM to sign Lee. It was a mistake to walk Hamilton. By doing so what you are saying is we can't get you out. What ever happened to purpose pitching? If you want to walk him fine, but do it by making him very uncomfortable in the batter's box. Buzz him, throw low and inside etc. Pitching is an art, and some of the greatest artists were Gibson, Drysdale and Marichal, and yes Clemens. No one throws inside anymore, moves batters off the plate, makes them uncomfortable. I left someone else off the list the President of the Texas Rangers was pretty good at it too.

joeynygiants

yes, pitching and timely hitting did the yanks in.

the rangers hit 304 as a team, o wonder why they won.

pitching inside == yes that isn't being done anymore, and to me roger clemens is the last man to do that.

LennG

Files

It is well known on these boards that I am full, out and out, Yankee hater. I do not root for any baseball team. I root against the NY teams as the quicker they are eliminated, the more talk radio turns to football.
I was born and bred a Brooklyn Dodger fan, so the hating anything Yankees was inbred in me from birth, and has continued to this day.
The thread was meant as a good laugh, because there are just too many Yankee fans who think that their team walks on water and that they should automatically be in the World Series EVERY year. Not every Yankee fan, but there are many who think that way. The papers are already full of who the Yankees can buy for the next few years. I'm from the old school, where you have to earn championships, not buy them.
As I said in my opening sentence, people knowing me, knew that this had to come, but it is all in good fun. Sorry if I offended all those 'die hards' who are crying in their beer this morning.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

PSUBeirut

Until baseball installs a salary cap, it's worthless to me.   :boooo: :sick:

AYM

The Yankees are the Cowboys of baseball. Don't like 'em at all.

joeynygiants

the yankees have to have a fine team each year, for the bring fans into stadiums, plus each year the lead home attendence.

prior to the new stadium, they had 4 years in a row with 4 million fans.

love them or hate them, nothing will ever change.

Kmed6000

LennG

Charlie Weiss