News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who were your all time favorite non-star Giants

Started by MightyGiants, January 14, 2011, 11:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I'm willing to bet Rob Carpenter was the last Giants FB with more than a 100 rushing attempts in a season
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bighitterdalama

Pretty good intuition, Rich, but you would have lost that bet. Jarrod Bunch had 104 carries for 501 yards and three touchdowns in 1992. Charles Way ran the ball 151 times for 698 yards  and four touchdowns in 1997 and 113 times for 432 and three touchdowns in 1998. He was also a damn fine receiver, catching over 30 passes in three consecutive seasons. His 37 catches for 304 yards in 1997 gave him a total of 1002 yards from scrimmage that campaign. A 1000+ yard season is a feat that we most likely will not see again soon (if ever) out of a Giant fullback.

Now that I think about it, Charlie Way is another all-time non-star favorite of mine.

LennG

i would have said that also. along with Maurice Carthon were two of my favorite non stars at RB.

To me, a non star is a guy with limited talent, so he will enver gain stardom, but gosh darn plays their heart out on every play to the best of their ability.

George Martin would head my list. As football players go, he wasn't a big star, but to any Giants fan, he was huge.
Same can be said for Brian Kelley.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Rosehill Jimmy

Relatively new to the board and just found this thread. Didn
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

jimv

Rosehill Jimmy

Yep, knew his number is retired.  I mentioned him only because he
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Giant Jim

This one's easy, Perry Williams, the most under rated player of all time!

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

weeze

I think he went to Syracuse, now we are going back a ways for sure.
I hope we all remember Jeremy LIncoln, the flash. ......wow I can still see him in my nightmares, right after shark attacks and before boy bands! UGH! 
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!

NapoleonBlownapart

they were all "stars" to this wide eyed kid yet very fond memories during the bleak 1970's come from these names:

RB Doug Kotar the motor..saw him drag 4 Jets on his back for over 10 yards scoring a TD in 1974 preseason.  saw him catch 11-108 yards in a 1976 week 4, 26-21 loss to the St Louis Cardinals .  Kotar caught the ball on a flair pass running down the left sideline in the clear with seconds left for winning TD when Cardinal S Norm Thompson came out of nowhere and pushed him out of bounds at the 39.  2 seconds left and instead of looking for Kotar? (Crudinals had touble stopping him all day) Qb Craig Morton throws incomplete in the end zone off the hands (!) of Walker Gillete.....looking back now, Gillete was the Evan Engram of his day hahaha check out week 2 of 1976 vs Philly to see him drop sure TD!

NT/DT and on occasion DE, John Mendenhall - ok if I could use a time machine and go back and grab a past NYG defender not named LT? its the recently passed John Mendenhall.  His sideline to sideline pursuit was incredible, he was named all pro in 1974 for a 2-12 team (!) Cowboys G John Niland said after NYG 14-6 week 3 win @ Dallas "best DT in the conference? hell the best DT in football. we game planned our whole offense to take him out and he single handedly destroyed us!" I saw him play in person many times. I can recall him being double and triple teamed, yet making the tackle.  btw the times he played DE was in 1973 when NT Rich Glover was part of the rotation.  Mendenhall DE, Jacobson/Campbell/Goich DT, Glover NT, Gregory DE... was the 3rd down rushing package.