News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Preview 2011 -OFFENSE

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 13, 2011, 01:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vette5573

I have a question about the Penn St. player Stefan Wisniewski. How many games did he play in as starting Center in 2010? I thought that Doug Klopacz was the Center for that team but I know he had some injuries. How many games did Klopacz start and how many did Wisniewski start. I also seem to have read somewhere that Klopacz pushed Wisniewski to Guard at some point in their careers.

bighitterdalama

Ceri,

We are presently sh!tty at center. Presuming that these idiots decide to settle the lockout instead of cutting their own nouts, do you have any handle on the potential free agent talent available at this position?

I assume that you will be at Loftus Road tomorrow for the game against Derby. Best of luck. Go QPR!

Brian

bighitterdalama

Without getting into the how I know this, Seubert has little-to-no chance of playing football this year. In fact, if he was not so tough, he would probably have little chance to ever play again at all. The injury is even worse than publicly portrayed.

Big Hitter

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: vette on April 17, 2011, 11:07:54 AM
I have a question about the Penn St. player Stefan Wisniewski. How many games did he play in as starting Center in 2010?

Wisniewski started every game at RG in '10 so didn't start at C at all.

Quote from: bighitterdalama on April 17, 2011, 11:11:32 AM
Ceri,

We are presently sh!tty at center. Presuming that these idiots decide to settle the lockout instead of cutting their own nouts, do you have any handle on the potential free agent talent available at this position?

I assume that you will be at Loftus Road tomorrow for the game against Derby. Best of luck. Go QPR!

Brian

Free agent talent is hard to figure out right now but the cupboard isn't exactly well stocked there either. Ryan Kalil (Panthers) and Jonathon Goodwin (Saints) are the sure things and recent Pro Bowlers. Interestingly though there are a pair of collegiate C's - Leroy Harris (Titans) and Chris Chester (Ravens) - who have started at RG because their teams already had C's. One of that duo could be asked to shift back to the pivot if they hit free agent markets.

As for QPR, well of course I'll be there! 6 pts needed from 4 games to secure the Championship Trophy let alone get promoted!! A win tonight means if we beat 2nd place Cardiff at the weekend the trophy is in the bag! Alternatively, we'll have to wait for Hull to come to town on Easter Monday to clinch it.

troyfan

I played BB in HS with a kid named Will Rackley.  Went on to coach at Brown.  Also his brothers David and Luther.

Anyway, I can't believe we'll be looking for guard help before the third.  At that point, it looks way too late for sleepers like Watkins or Ijlana to still be around.  But if one of them is, I'd love to see us get him.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.   Thomas A. Edison

todge

Well done as usual Ceri -

IMO, Rodney Hudson's playing weight in the high 290s just might be too light to hold ground against the mammoth 3/4 NTs he will be asked to face. Agree?

According to Pouncey - the Giants have had a "lot of contact" with him.  That tells me they are truly interested and not just gathering more information to "rule him out".   I still believe that he is the safest OL pick in the Draft and will be the Giants' selection at #19 (if there of course).

I would prefer the Free Agent route - but it doesn't look as if that is going to happen.

MightyGiants

Quote from: bighitterdalama on April 17, 2011, 11:24:48 AM
Without getting into the how I know this, Seubert has little-to-no chance of playing football this year. In fact, if he was not so tough, he would probably have little chance to ever play again at all. The injury is even worse than publicly portrayed.

Big Hitter

I can believe it Brian.  I have posted the extensive surgery he underwent and that even Suey is saying he will only begin to run in late July (when he would be ready for the football field is anyone's guess.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jaime

Just runnin' this up the flagpole...I wouldn't be so quick to turn the page on Boothe. If Suey can't play this year & Petrus is an unknown (?), wouldn't Boothe be a prudent fallback? A Rook (even a well scouted Prospect selected in the early Rds.) has to still prove he's a Player, which is no guarantee. Boothe proved he can play G & C. Sign him for a one year deal with incentives.

Chris

We also signed another swing-type OL, Ike Ndukwe, this offseason. I don't think Boothe comes back.

Ceri, thanks so much for the time you put into these previews! They're really great.

Chris

Ceri, what are your thoughts on TCU's Kirkpatrick and Oregon State's Linnekohl as later-round prospects?

Or should I take their omission from the report as your answer? :)

afan56

As Chris said...

Ceri, thanks so much for the time you put into these previews! They're really great.

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: todge on April 18, 2011, 12:10:09 PM
IMO, Rodney Hudson's playing weight in the high 290s just might be too light to hold ground against the mammoth 3/4 NTs he will be asked to face. Agree?

According to Pouncey - the Giants have had a "lot of contact" with him.  That tells me they are truly interested and not just gathering more information to "rule him out".   I still believe that he is the safest OL pick in the Draft and will be the Giants' selection at #19 (if there of course).

Re: Hudson. Disagree! Who exactly are the mammoth 3-4 NT's he's asked to face? I'd suggest winning the Division is more important than worrying about teams we play in a rotation over a period of years.

Dallas' Pro Bowl NT is around 300lb's and wins based on superior quickness. Washington don't have one worth worrying about right now and Philly play a 4-3. That's 6 games covered and no issues in our Division. I'm also not aware of any DT that whipped Hudson in college despite the talent he faced. 

Re: Pouncey, he may end up as our 1st round pick but our interest in him is no more than in other players. We're just doing more research on him because we have so many unanswered questions...

Like why is it a guy so talented can't execute a shotgun snap? And why his QB constantly has to reach forward, left or right to take the ball? Or why the QB needs a 40" vertical jump to catch the high ones?

It's not like the days when Ernie Accorsi was GM and he stood dribbling at Miami Hurricanes Pro Days giddy as a school-girl watching the likes of Shockey and Moss, invited them in for visits and  then tried to pretend he didn't want them in the worst way when everyone knew he did!

A better indication nowadays may be TC as when he goes to a Pro Day it's because the scouting department have told him a player in attendance and working out is high on our 'wish list' and to look at him and see what he thinks so it is easier to form a consensus on taking that player if he's available. Find out where TC went and you'll find our 1st round pick, possibly even our 2nd round pick as well... After all, he went to South Florida and East Carolina last year...

Pouncey by announcing who he is linked with is simply trying to drum up more publicity for himself - after all, he's already anointed himself as Dallas' selection with the 9th pick overall. By talking Giants as well I'd suggest he's trying to ensure he is positioned in the draft somewhere between them. Oh yeah, he's announced lots of contact with Miami too and they pick 15th.

todge

Thanks Ceri -

it will be interesting to see what the Giants do.  It's almost a mortal lock that they take a Center at some point in the first 3 Rounds.

As to Pouncey- I never thought of the angle that his agent has advised him to "stir the pot" in attempts to drive up the interest in him (which of course means more dollars for both!).  As to his snapping issues - Russ Lande feels they are all technique-based.  Apparently there wasn't a coach at Florida who knew how to help him. 

As to Hudson - I certainly wouldn't be disappointed in him in the 2nd Round.  He has the look of a solid 10 year starter.  If the Giants plan this route - then who do they take in Round 1?  There are no LBs or DBs worthy of the pick.  Which would lead me to believe the Giants just might take one of the tackles.  That would make OL the first two Rounds which is something I wouldn't mind one bit. 

UncannyGfan

How would Pouncy rank as a guard compared to the last few drafts?  If he was taken as our new OLG would he have Chris Snee type talent and start right away?  Or does have decent OG talent but his ability to play center adds enough for him to be a top 32 pick? 

PSUBeirut

Quote from: vette on April 17, 2011, 11:07:54 AM
I have a question about the Penn St. player Stefan Wisniewski. How many games did he play in as starting Center in 2010? I thought that Doug Klopacz was the Center for that team but I know he had some injuries. How many games did Klopacz start and how many did Wisniewski start. I also seem to have read somewhere that Klopacz pushed Wisniewski to Guard at some point in their careers.

Ceri answered your questioned but just thought I'd add that Doug Klopacz didn't push Wiz anywhere at PSU.  They plugged Wiz wherever they felt was the weakest spot on the interior and he'd lock it down.  I really think he's good value in round 2 and would love to see him in Giants blue.  He's going to be a starter for 10+ yrs, barring injury.  One of those plug and play kinda guys.