News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DRAFT PICK THREADS- MERGED

Started by MightyGiants, April 28, 2011, 10:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

UK Giant's write up

Prince Amukamara (Nebraska) is 6', 206lb
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimmyz

love it.  How can you not?  We get a top 10 player. 

This is also good news for Aaron Ross who will be freed up to train with his girlfriend.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

MightyGiants

Russ Lande's summary:

Prince is a very good athlete. He has good size, strength and a musulcar build which allows him to match up against any receiver in the country. He shows great toughness to jam receivers off the line and redirect there route pattern with ease. He also uses his toughness and size to attack downhill against the run and force the ball back inside to other defenders. When tackling ball carriers he shows a physicality that most corners lack and wraps up well to be a sure tackler. He will need to fine tune some technique issues with his backpedal, which should help him to turn and run better with receiver and to transition and close quicker out of his pedal - He has the hips, foot quicks and athleticism to be very good in these areas if he improves his technique. Overall, Prince Amukamara is a sure fire late 1st / high 2nd round selection and if he can become more consistent with his backpedal and improve vs double moves he could become a very good starting CB in the NFL. In the end, I think he will turn out to be a good, solid CB, but will never become an elite, all pro.

Nolan from PFW:

Sculpted, Instinctive, well-coached cover man with the speed, twitch, instincts and takling ability desired in a number 1 cornerback at the next level.  Lacks elite defensive play making skills but should be good for a long time.  TOP 15

NFL write up:

OVERVIEW
Amukamara has the size, speed and awareness to start from day one and turn into one of the league's finer players at the cornerback position. Takes advantage of his instincts and smarts in zone coverage but also has the ability to hold up when asked to cover on an island. Possesses good overall ball skills and hands. Will help out and support the run. Durable, aggressive, competitive and hard-working. No major weaknesses in his game, but isn't a true burner in terms of straight-line speed. Amukamara will likely be selected early in the first round, possibly in the top 10.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Suburbanites II

Quote from: jimmyz on April 28, 2011, 10:16:10 PM
love it.  How can you not?  We get a top 10 player. 

This is also good news for Aaron Ross who will be freed up to train with his girlfriend.

Totally agree, this kid didn't drop because of concerns or issues but rather because so many teams were desperate for QB's and pass rushers. You don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Everyone him going in the top 10. This is a great pick.

MightyGiants

TheBlueScreen Ralph Vacchiano
Jerry Reese: "Really surprised that he was there when we picked. We thought he
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

I hope you guys are right.  I think CB was not a day 1-2 need position and that we should have taken Ingrim or an OL.  It seems like Reese loads up at some positions (DE, DB, WR) but lets others go thin (LB, RB).  Maybe I have more faith in TT than others.  We needed to address our aging OL, not a position that is relatively young by NFL standards.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on April 28, 2011, 10:23:57 PM
I hope you guys are right.  I think CB was not a day 1-2 need position and that we should have taken Ingrim or an OL.  It seems like Reese loads up at some positions (DE, DB, WR) but lets others go thin (LB, RB).  Maybe I have more faith in TT than others.  We needed to address our aging OL, not a position that is relatively young by NFL standards.

The Giants have to face the Eagles WRs and Dez Bryant twice a year.  That alone is a good excuse to have top notch corner.  Hopefully the Giants will be able to pick up O-line tomorrow night.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Ross: "We never thought this kid would still be on the board at 19. ... I just assumed somebody would have taken him." #NYG
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Marc Ross, #NYG scouting director: "Shock. It was a shock. This one was just completely out of left field. ..."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimmyz

I love the fact that he has physicality in his game to go along with 4.4 speed.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

worf49

I think sometime very soon we will be very happy we got this guy.

Also, we can address OL in later rounds and Free Agency.  As much as some are exceedingly concerned about OL Will Beatty the games he played before we started O'Hara after being out all season, did a very decent Job.  Yes, he had some penalties but as he settles into the position I believe he will be fine.

I am hoping we can land Bruce Carter.  GO BIG BLUE!

NYSPORTS

With all the speed in Philly, this pick is amazing. 

jimmyz

vette5573

He can also return kicks and punts. Great value pick.

gregf

Nfl network gave us the best value pick. It wasn't a high priority in my view, I like our starting duo and Ross as a corner. Still, we.weve had some defensive collapses and will welcome a solid corner.  Id love to see Ross go to safety to round out our defensive backfield.  Prince needs to see the field to get a return on him. To go with our stacked dline, we can be looking real good on D.

todge

Quote from: TDToomer on April 28, 2011, 10:23:57 PM

The Giants don't pick positions - they pick the highest rated player on their Board at a position of need.  There are plenty of other picks to address the OL.