News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DRAFT PICK THREADS- MERGED

Started by MightyGiants, April 28, 2011, 10:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmo11

Still no LBs though.  I get the pick, he was way too much value to pass up at that spot, but at the same time they still have pretty big holes at OL and LB and there were plenty of OLs at that spot that were more than worthy of the pick.  Castonzo in particular seemed like a steal at 19.  Maybe not as big of a steal as Prince, but also at a position of much more need than CB.  Prince seems like a good player so we'll see, but I'd have gone with an OL there. 

Slick

Several profiles of Castonzo states that he can start immediately and play for 10 years. I don't see how Prince can be determined to be higher value than that. The value to the team should take precedent over the value on the board.

I'm sure he'll be useful and that he's a quality player, but the big LT was tough to pass on.   

squibber

Welcome to our new Giant.  Prince "Albert In A Can" Amukamara.

MightyGiants

Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki: Amukamara slid in large part because of concerns teams had about his perceived quirky personality and questions about how well he would fit into an NFL locker room. Many teams shy away from cornerbacks without interceptions, but the Giants, a value-driven team, recognized his worth and added depth to a battered secondary. He lacks ideal downfield ball skills, but he excels in short areas and could be a solid press corner for the Giants' aggressive defense.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft;_ylt=AmP1BxPKRRuEgAx0nCvaGbVDubYF
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Wes Bunting on Prince:

Impression: A fluid, balanced corner who possesses only average deep speed, but looks like a guy capable of starting at a number of spots in an NFL secondary. However, I don't think he will ever be a real blue-chip corner.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=66949
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Suburbanites II

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2011, 07:42:33 AM
Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki: Amukamara slid in large part because of concerns teams had about his perceived quirky personality and questions about how well he would fit into an NFL locker room. Many teams shy away from cornerbacks without interceptions, but the Giants, a value-driven team, recognized his worth and added depth to a battered secondary. He lacks ideal downfield ball skills, but he excels in short areas and could be a solid press corner for the Giants' aggressive defense.

This is utter nonsense, he slipped because so many teams need a QB or a DE to get to the QB. This is simply one of those drafts that broke right for the Giants, period.

troyfan

Quote from: todge on April 28, 2011, 11:24:30 PM
Quote from: TDToomer on April 28, 2011, 10:23:57 PM
I hope you guys are right.  I think CB was not a day 1-2 need position and that we should have taken Ingrim or an OL.  It seems like Reese loads up at some positions (DE, DB, WR) but lets others go thin (LB, RB).  Maybe I have more faith in TT than others.  We needed to address our aging OL, not a position that is relatively young by NFL standards.

The Giants don't pick positions - they pick the highest rated player on their Board at a position of need.  There are plenty of other picks to address the OL.

They should have picked a postion.  Unless they let our D play with 12 - 13 guys, I don't see how he improves us much.  The run on OTs leaves only leavings for us.  I hope Ingram at 28 doesn't start a run on RBs or the O might find itself exactly where it was last year, except one year older.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.   Thomas A. Edison

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2011, 07:42:33 AM

Not the Giants.  We love stone hands DB's who can't catch.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

files58

The Giant's value board and we play D Jackson, J Macklin, and D Bryant, M Austin twice a year. He has been widely rated as the second best corner in this draft. I read where BP thought he would turn into a better pro than Peterson taken at #5. The GMEN need speed and athleticism on defense. You can't fill all your needs with one pick.

quacker

True to form.  No trade up or trade down and the best available player regardless of position.  I understand the philosophy and agree with it for the most part.  FA and injuries have a way of way of changing perspectives quickly and grabbing the best value at the time usually makes you stronger when those things bite you in the ass.

MightyGiants

Quote from: quacker on April 29, 2011, 10:31:44 AM
True to form.  No trade up or trade down and the best available player regardless of position.  I understand the philosophy and agree with it for the most part.  FA and injuries have a way of way of changing perspectives quickly and grabbing the best value at the time usually makes you stronger when those things bite you in the ass.

JPP didn't look like a need until Kiwi was lost for the season
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

goNets

Not a college football follower, so I really can't comment on the quality of this (or any) pick.  That being said I wonder if this talk of him not getting many interceptions is a bit overblown.  If he's that good a corner maybe he wasn't thrown at that often.  What do you folks who know about this stuff have to say?

MightyGiants

Quote from: goNets on April 29, 2011, 10:40:50 AM
Not a college football follower, so I really can't comment on the quality of this (or any) pick.  That being said I wonder if this talk of him not getting many interceptions is a bit overblown.  If he's that good a corner maybe he wasn't thrown at that often.  What do you folks who know about this stuff have to say?

That's true but they are also saying that he didn't play the ball well on the few chances he had for an INT.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TONKA56

TDToomer

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 29, 2011, 11:00:15 AM
Sounds like Will Allen part 2.

I'm hoping he's more like that other allpro CB with a name that no one can pronounce.   :D
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs