News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DRAFT PICK THREADS- MERGED

Started by MightyGiants, April 28, 2011, 10:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

londonblue

It is all about fit with a scheme and coachability. If I precis all the stuff said and written by the 'analysts' his biggest flaws seem to be:
1. too aggressive (bites on double pumps etc.)
2. not a ball hawk

His biggest strengths are:
1. likes contact
2. fast to close

If I'm interpreting the various talking heads correctly it seems if we ask him to play press, cover man and provide run support in short zones he'll look good. If we make him play off the man and read in deep zones h'll look lost unless our coaches can improve his weaknesses.

The concern is we seem to be back in off/deep zone mode under Fewell rather than press (Spags). Both Webster and Prince (and Rolle at safety) are generally considered to be better in press/cover. Do we need to revisit our style a little to get the most from the considerable talent we now have back there?
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

samuel56

IMO, considering where we picked, I believe we just continued to strengthen our "D".

I believe over the seasons, we will be very happy we picked up the Prince.

:ok:

spiderblue43

I find it hard to believe anyone could have such poor ball skills as Will (Hands of Stone) Allen did. He (Prince) has to adjust to the 5-yard rule as his film room tapes show, but no biggie with his skill set; an excellent athlete to help combat the realities of the air-it-out offenses that is NFL football. You can't have enough guys that can play in the secondary, of course. KP (although a safety) also got dinged for his "lack" of interceptions in his senior year, but we all know how special he was before his injury. I like the pick considering the nature of the league. Very good to excellent value there at #19. Overall, I'd give it B+ for our heroes.

MightyGiants

UK Giants Take:

Marvin Austin (North Carolina   ) is 6'1 5/8
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MP21WAYS2PAY

PSUBeirut

Not sure I like this pick.  I've followed this guy since he was one of the biggest high school football recruits.  His attitude has never been impressive and I don't like how he handled questions about his off-field issues last year, basically saying everyone does it and we just got caught...  And do we need another DL?  I would have rather seen an interior OL, a RT, a LB, or even Leshoure...

Anyway, I guess this means we have some interior offensive linemen targeted for free agency. 

MightyGiants

Russ Lande's take:

Austin is a very talented DT who is being talked about as an elite DT prospect, but he needs to play with better technique and aggressiveness on every snap to be as productive as he is physically capable. He has the combination of size, natural strength, foot quicks, athleticism and explosiveness to be productive playing in any defensive scheme, but I believe he fits best at a 3-Technique DT in a 43 scheme where he can use his athleticism to get into gaps to disrupt plays and can use his speed to chase down plays from sideline to sideline. If he can play with leverage and aggressiveness more consistently he could go from being a good starting DT to an elite one who changes games and makes impact plays consistently. Overall, Austin is likely to be drafted higher than I have him rated because of his natural talent and flashes of dominance. If he shines in the spring leading up to the draft he could really move way up draft boards, because strong, athletic and very athletic DT
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

gregf

I hate to be a downer, but 2 picks at low priority spots? Even if Barry wals, we still had 2 solid tackles. How long are we going to ignore the offensive line and linebacker?! Even a running back would have made me happy.

vstaj(grizz)

Almost certainly means we're losing one of my Favorite players.  See ya Barry....

MightyGiants

NFL Network's take:

OVERVIEW
Austin has first round talent, but he did not play football last season and there are concerns about his character and work ethic. He appears to be a prototypical 3-technique defensive tackle, as he is a big boy with outstanding athleticism. He has great feet and the lateral agility to move quickly down the line and make tackles on the edge. He uses his quick heavy hands to shed blocks and has the closing burst to make plays in the backfield. Austin's off the field issues may prevent him from being a first round pick, but he could be a major steal in round two.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Great, our offensive line is old, thin and injury prone and we blow our first two picks on another corner and a DT. Maybe the offensive line ferries will visit us at some damn point. I wouldn't be surprised if we use our third round pick on a rush end as you can never have enough of those guys. :surrender:

TXGiant

May be another BPA strategy.  For what it's worth, Gosselin had him ranked 26 on his board.  I know there are character issues, but if that's the case it could be another steal.

NYSPORTS

NICE

madbadger

Quote from: TXGiant on April 29, 2011, 07:59:06 PM
May be another BPA strategy.  For what it's worth, Gosselin had him ranked 26 on his board.  I know there are character issues, but if that's the case it could be another steal.

At some point you actually have to address your weaknesses otherwise your doomed to suffer from the same failures. I understand liking value but having a well rounded team is more valuable in my opinion than just collecting talent. I am so pissed I want to scream.

joeynygiants

problem is the fact the giants like the bucs are gloing back to defense, defense, defense.

the giants have to beat both the eagles and dallas to regain the division, so this is why they went defense again, earlky.

the ol will be addressed, as will rb.

rb is a position that you can get someone in late rounds.

ol, depends on beaty and koets, maybe the giants feel they can get the job done.