News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DRAFT PICK THREADS- MERGED

Started by MightyGiants, April 28, 2011, 10:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

worf49

Terrymeisner and Chris thanks for the links.

Chris

Worf, my pleasure. I actually enjoyed reading that NYT article a great deal.

giantsguy

I agree todge.  If Prince doesn't beat out TT, I'd be upset.  I think it all depends on how much camp time [if there is camp this season] that Prince gets.  If he gets significant camp time, I would expect him to start, maybe not the first few weeks, but sometime soon after the season starts, whenever that may be.
Go Red, Grey and Blue !!

vette5573

I think Prince will be the cover slot. He will be great in run support of an 11 formation. He might very well settle in at Safety with his skill set someday. Get the best players on the field.

chiller99

Ive read a lot hes the typical looks like Tarzan plays like Jane player,cant fight off blocks and isnt much of a hitter,he seems to be good in coverage though.

MP21WAYS2PAY

Link gives the full skinny on Marvin Austin, please disregard the "go broncos" at the end:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/talegating-marvin-austin

Gmo11

It's not unfair in the sense that the disaster that is Sinorice Moss is fresh in all of our minds.  Then we draft another diminutive WR and understandably fear history will repeat itself.  Jerrigan has better stats than Moss in college agreed, but also against lower competition.  That's not to say he's definitely going to stink, but it doesn't exactly brood confidence either.  At the end of the day its all about the individual.  Does he work hard, does he fight through contact, does he read the holes, does he return kicks fearlessly?  The answers to those questions will determine how his career goes.  Having said that, I'm of the opinion the pick could have been better served drafting an OL or LB than another WR who, may not see the field much on offense at all.  And if all our guys come back healthy, that's a big if I know, he may not see the field on offense AT ALL.

Chris

Assuming that a player is going to replicate the career of a bust because they share a similar body type seems like an inexact metric to me. It seems like people who didn't like the pick are reaching for more reasons not to like it. Can we assume that Brewer is the next Jumbo Elliot because they both went to Big Ten schools?

Regarding the "Troy is not Miami" angle, how did that work out for Osi and DeMarcus Ware?

troyfan

Quote from: Chris on May 06, 2011, 07:53:49 AM
Assuming that a player is going to replicate the career of a bust because they share a similar body type seems like an inexact metric to me. It seems like people who didn't like the pick are reaching for more reasons not to like it. Can we assume that Brewer is the next Jumbo Elliot because they both went to Big Ten schools?

Regarding the "Troy is not Miami" angle, how did that work out for Osi and DeMarcus Ware?

I think those 2 were more dominant.  It might be true that people who didn't like a pick reach for more reasons not to like it afterwards.  But the converse is true also.  Look no further that the about face many board member have performed with Greg Jones: a barely mentioned prospect in a weak LB class who now that the Giants have drafted him,  is hailed as the solution to all our LB problems.

The way I look at it at this point is that no one has any new information.  Everything that can be known about the 2011 class is known.  Rehashing old information does not make it new or more insightful.  Neither does it shed anymore light on a prospect's likely success.  We can only wait for mini-camps or whatever is next.  Usually those don't shed much light, either.

We can all try to make ourselves feel better about our picks, now that they are ours.  Or we can nurse our grievances that our favorites were selected by other teams.  But neither yields any further insight on how the new Giants will actually perform.

Only time will tell.  
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.   Thomas A. Edison

Chris

Quote from: troyfan on May 06, 2011, 08:13:38 AM
Look no further that the about face many board member have performed with Greg Jones: a barely mentioned prospect in a weak LB class who now that the Giants have drafted him,  is hailed as the solution to all our LB problems.

While I agree this was a weak LB class, Jones was not a barely mentioned prospect.

Troy, you and I agree that only time will tell on all of these prospects. Time will also tell what the roster will look like come training camp. I think the absence of FA prior to (and after) the draft has compounded the angst some of us feel about the picks because we don't have the complete picture yet. In a normal year, I think there would be less question marks.

Then again. in a normal year, the Eagles might have Patrick Peterson, after trading Kolb to the Cardinals. There's a silver lining to everything, I guess...

jerseyguy

I think the drafting of Jernigan directly relates to the beating the Eagles gave us with their speed last year. We all knew that the  Giants were too slow on defense and drafting this guy is a move in the right direction.  As far as the comparison of Jernigan to Moss goes there really is none because Moss really didn't do much in college other than he had the speed we're looking for....

Chris

At the end of the day, is the pick defensible? Can what the player potentially bring to the table - or the apparent role they were drafted for - help the team? I think that's all you can ask in the draft. Given the uncertainty regarding Smith, the current WR depth, and the woeful return game we fielded last year, this pick makes sense. Would I have preferred a LB? Sure, but I can't be upset with a pick that can be defended.

The team is never going to pick every and all the players and/or positions that we want and think we need. We have too many needs each year to do that. I think you can make a compelling argument for each pick. That's good enough for me.

I don't think there's an accurate way to quantify the statement, "position X would have helped us more at that pick." Based on the crapshoot nature of the draft, all of the players we picked could be stars or not make the team.

jerseyguy

Quote from: Chris on May 06, 2011, 10:34:21 AM
At the end of the day, is the pick defensible? Can what the player potentially bring to the table - or the apparent role they were drafted for - help the team? I think that's all you can ask in the draft. Given the uncertainty regarding Smith, the current WR depth, and the woeful return game we fielded last year, this pick makes sense. Would I have preferred a LB? Sure, but I can't be upset with a pick that can be defended.

The team is never going to pick every and all the players and/or positions that we want and think we need. We have too many needs each year to do that. I think you can make a compelling argument for each pick. That's good enough for me.

I don't think there's an accurate way to quantify the statement, "position X would have helped us more at that pick." Based on the crapshoot nature of the draft, all of the players we picked could be stars or not make the team.
I would have preferred a top tier LB as well but after taking a look at the last bunch a Giant drafts it has become clear that they don't value the position the way I do.   >:(

todge

Being that this was such an awful LB class - what kind of "top tier" LB did you have in mind in the 3rd Round?

To me anyway, it has become quite clear that the Giants don't draft positions - they draft the highest rated player on their Board.  So I didn't see any top-tier LBs on the Board at that selection.  I am curious who you wanted.

vstaj(grizz)

Prince HAS to start.  otherwise , it's more of the same.   And "same" isn't good enough.