News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Baseball trivia Question of the Day, or thereabouts

Started by retrojint, August 24, 2011, 01:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retrojint

8-24-11:  Sims, Ferrell, Carmel & Snyder all share in this lifelong designation.
"When the going gets tough, I shall return.....much later."

Webster29

retrojint

Correct Billy Boy <:-P How to be. The Buffalo Braves survivor's fan club and astute NYP League historian comes through in the clutch, yet again. Along with Duke Wellington and Wellington, who had the football named Duke after him. Dese all Dukes.  Onto today's puzzler:
8-25-11:  Who has played the most games in Yankee history in right-field? Please remember the outfield question is position specific. Can't be total games as an outfielder. Right-field. Hint: It's not Nick Swisher.

Webster29

Ah the Buffalo Braves      "Thats two for McAdoo"   

Ok Steve    I would think it has to be Babe Ruth.   But that seems to obvious.   But it is the best guess I have so I'll go with it.

retrojint

Obvious but incorrect, my friend. Remember Ruth played leftfield quite a bit during his career. His ratio right to leftfield is something like 1.2 to 1. I will keep this open for awhile in case somebody else wants to venture a guess. Or you can try again.

bighitterdalama

Steve,

Could this player's ultimate replacement have been Hector Lopez?

retrojint

"Oh what a pair of hands," Lopez, as Bouton called him? Yes, indeed.

bighitterdalama

Hank Bauer, USMC. The toughest Yankee this side of Ralph Houk.

retrojint

Correct. How to go, Big Hitter. 1195 games in right.  =D>

Now for a very late 8-26-11 entry:The scene- Puerto Rican winter league between the 54 & 55 seasons. The home fans of Santurce erupt in a spontanteous "Ole Mira" cheer, inspired by the play of this budding star. Who was the object of their affection?

babywhales

i can't believe it would ever surface again but I actually heard this before.   So I answer the say hey kid.
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

retrojint

We have a winner in Mr. Baby Wales. Good job of scouring the old memory banks. You are like Spock.  ;)  I didn't know about this story until I read James S. Hirsch's biography on Willie Mays. Good book, by the way. Ole Mira!

retrojint

8-27-11: When Charles Finley tried to "fire" Mike Andrews from his '73 Series roster, while the autumn classic was underway, please name the player that Charlie O wanted to activate in place of Andrews. He went on to having a pretty good career. A real hose for a 2B, right up there with Willie Randolph for cannon pivots from that era of the game.

Webster29

Good ol Charlie "O"   What an insult to the poor mule.

How bout Manny Trillo

retrojint

Another "Bulls-eye" by Randy Smith-Ernie D-Jim McMcMillian-Bob MacAdoo loving Big Red. Let's see, who were some of the early expansion-year players?  Em Bryant, Nate Bowman, Donnie May, Mike Davis? How did I do?  Yes, Red, Charley O was a real winner. Remember the pop-up Bunny Rabbit to the side of home plate that surfaced with the basket of new balls for the umpire? =))

retrojint

8-28-11: A true doctor was once traded by the Yankees for a Dock Dockter. The true doc would later get busted for writing himself illegal prescriptions. The other Dock would later admit that he frequently pitched on a natural high, fueled by cocaine. Oh there was another player involved in the deal. Can you name them?