News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Mo gets #600

Started by Webster29, September 14, 2011, 01:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Webster29

Congrats to Mo.    He got save number 600 last night in Seattle putting him just 1 behind Hoffman.  Pretty impressive.

dasher

And the same night Wakefield gets win number 200.
Not in Rivera's class. But noteworthy never the less.

Webster29

I too will extend a tip of the cap to Wakefield.   Everything I have heard about him, he is a class guy.  Gongrats Tim.

Bill Brown

I will also tip my cap to both of those gentleman.  Webster,  being a Red Sox fan living in Maine, it is a true statement that Wake is a class act.  He has been a great team player for many many years.  Certainly not a HOFer but he was alway ready to pitch in whatever role the team needed him to be.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

retrojint

I remember one of the first times I saw Mo pitch. Recalled 7-4-95 to face the White Sox in Chicago. 8 shut out innings, 11 Ks. Yankees win 4-1. Who would have thunk it then? He was one of the early success stories involving elbow surgery. Dr. Frank Jobe 8-92.  Stick Michael has always maintained that Rivera picked up 5 mph and 1 inch of late life on his ball following that surgery.  He's the greatest closer in MLB history. I wouldn't go as far to say that he is the greatest reliever in history, however. The distinction is  made necessary from the point of bifurcation that was LaRussa and Eckersley. The one-inning save. Consider Mo's totals heading into this season:

.1 inning-22 saves
.2 inning-14
1  inning-408
1.1 inning-70
1.2 inning-34
2.0 inning-10
2.1 inning (longest save outing)-1 8-23-96 @ Oakland

The numbers are awesome, truly. But the preponderance of one-inning saves is an evolution in the game that has made it easier to be a closer. Guys like Sparky Lyle, Goose Gossage and Rollie Fingers faced a far more difficult task. Less relievers were kept during their era. Remember the decision on staffs used to be whether you took 9 or 10. Now it's 11 or 12, at least in the A.L.

Some other notes regarding Mariano. Since 69, and through the 10 season, his save % of 89.3 (559-626) is ranked third behind Eric Gagne, who is the leader, @ 91.7 (187-204) and Joe Nathan,  second @ 89.50 (247-276). Obviously a good deal of Mo's brilliance is detailed in his endurance, the manner in which he has been excellent over such a prolonged period of time.

Another item: Rivera has saved wins for 5 Cy Young Winners: Gooden, Cone, Clemens, Big Unit and C.C. There are actually 2 pitchers who have saved games for 6 Cy Young winners. They are:
Goose Gossage-Guildry, LaMarr Hoyt, Catfish, Sparky Lyle, Gaylord Perry & Sutcliffe.
John Franco-John Denny, Gooden, Hershiser, Saberhagen, Glavine and Viola.

The most win-save combination in history: Pettite-Rivera 68, Welch-Eckersley 57, Mussina-Rivera 49, Stewart-Eckersley 43, Jimmy Key-Henke 37, Tapani-Aguilera 37.

Lastly, most seasons as a Yankee (player only)-Berra & Mantle 18. Mo, Jeter, and Posada join Crosetti, Dickey and Gehrig @ 17.

As for Wakefield, he's a good guy and a good pitcher; he earns the designation that Mantle wanted on his memorial stone: "A Great Teammate," but truly he doesn't belong in this thread.
"When the going gets tough, I shall return.....much later."

Webster29

Mo tied Hoffman today.    God I hope he brakes the record Sunday.

My son and I will be there.   Going to Toronto for the Yanks/Jays game.   We have never been able to see someone set a major league record.

That would really be something.

Webster29

CONGRATS TO MO--HE DID IT.

I didn't get to see it in person but at least I did catch it on YES.

An outstanding pitcher and an even better human being.

Bill Brown

Congratulations Mr. Rivera.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

retrojint

Sorry you missed it Red. And I second the congratulations to the great Mariano. 
"When the going gets tough, I shall return.....much later."