News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Baseball trivia Question of the Day, or thereabouts

Started by retrojint, August 24, 2011, 01:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dasher

retrojint

Good ballplayer, Dash. Wrong answer. Let's leave some more bread crumbs along the path of life. How did numbers on the backs of their unis come about? The answer lies within. 
"When the going gets tough, I shall return.....much later."

dasher

retrojint

Alright! I'm doing a cheap impersonation of Billy "White Jones" Johnson's TD celebration right now. 8 times for the original #1 so-numbered because he was the lead-off batter. Money talks and dash has cash with 2 in a row. 

9-1-11: Ray Chapman was killed by the beanball thrown by Carl Mays in August of 1920. The player called up to replace Ray on the roster would ultimately be enshrined in the HOF. He has the lowest strikeout rate in MLB history. His lifetime K total is one Mark Reynolds would accept for one season.  Name the player.

babywhales

S-

These questions are favoring Dale, as you keep asking questions from his childhood!!!

=))
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

babywhales

Quote from: retrojint on September 01, 2011, 11:27:35 AM

9-1-11: Ray Chapman was killed by the beanball thrown by Carl Mays in August of 1920. The player called up to replace Ray on the roster would ultimately be enshrined in the HOF. He has the lowest strikeout rate in MLB history. His lifetime K total is one Mark Reynolds would accept for one season.  Name the player.

Just a side note that you may already be aware of considering the question. 

Ray Chapman is or his death is the reason why umpires always put a new baseball in play when it gets dirty.
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

dasher

retrojint

Yeah Wales. It was also the final factor in outlawing the spitter. Mays was universally despised because he combined the two traits of pitching that were an irrefutable indictment: Pin-point control; he would routinely be among the league leaders in fewest walks, and most hit batsmen. His submarine delivery made it excruciatingly difficult to pick up the ball. I read a pretty good book on the subject. Think it's called, "The Pitch That Killed."

Joe Sewell had his 5'6" self a helluva career. Ended up with the Yankees. So Dasher is a red-hot iron on these. For Wales tastes, I'll do some 80s stuff so oldsters like Dash and I don't have the advantage. 

retrojint

9-2-11: Oh to be young, again. This former Ranger OF is an Arizona St alumn. He played on the '84 USA Olympics team.  He was inducted in the College Baseball Hall of Fame this year. Also played in the majors with the Indians and Braves. He is the first player in Ranger history to hit for the cycle.  Name the player.

dasher

OK I missed this one - first guess was Bob Hoerner. Incorrect although he did go to ASU.
As a sidebar ASU question- who was Dustin Pedroia's roomie at ASU and a mortal lock to end up with the Bosox next year because of this friendship and his pending free agency?

retrojint

Still looking I see.  I have no idea who his roommate was at Arizona St.

dasher

Andre Ethier to take J. D. Drew slot in 2012.
Still no idea on your question..

retrojint

Oh he is certainly a good one Dash. Hate to see that happen to Don Mattingly who, all things considered, is doing a great job this season. Donnie gets all the important jobs. The team goes Chapter 7, dial M for Mattingly as Manager. When they get their ownership mess stable, he will have a fighting chance.

dasher

OK- since no one else has tried, I'll admit looking it up, and I never would have gotten it otherwise- Oddibe McDowell .
I heard this one on today's game- there are currently six pitchers over the age of 40. Name them, And that doesn't include Jamie Moyer who is recovering from Tommy John and is going to try to pitch next year at the age of 48.
I can only come up with two- Mariano and Wakefield.

Bill Brown

Arthur Rhodes       41     St. Louis
Miguel Batista        40     Mets
Darren Oliver          40     Texas
Mariano Rivera       41     Yanks
Takashi Saito           41     Milwaukee
Tim Wakefield         45     BoSox
Bill    Go Red Sox
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."