News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Ian vanguished the Hippy & the Giants last night

Started by retrojint, September 04, 2011, 01:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retrojint

Kennedy over Lincecum. It's going to be very difficult for the Giants now. These guys are 2 of my favorite pitchers even though they are both right-handed. I usually root for lefties. This figures to be a pretty boring Sept. Presently not even the hint of a decent wild-card race. Save for a late-season collapse it looks like the field is set. The chalk will be on the Phillies and Red Sox. The chalk choices didn't hold up last season. We'll have to see if they fare better this year. Arizona is a nice story. I always liked Kirk Gibson. Kennedy I have been a fan of since his USC days. Given that the Cubs have returned to Wrigley-era ignominy, the D-Backs become my rooting interest in the NL. 
"When the going gets tough, I shall return.....much later."

dasher

Steve,
You were correct when you said Kennedy needed a change of scenery and that the Yankees were ruining him.
If memory is correct - you said Ian would prove out to be better than the other acclaimed Yank youngsters of the time- Hughes and Joba.
So far, spot on.

retrojint

I don't remember what I wrote about Ian, Dash. I do remember a start he had with the Yankees when  McLelland, I think it was-the giraffe umpire-stole a game from Kennedy because he couldn't read his  pitches properly. Ian has so much late life on  his fastball that the umpires had to get used to call it a strike. Looking back, he had no chance with the Yankees. I saw him pitch against the Bisons in Buffalo when he was coming back from the aneurysm.  Watching him during that start I knew he'd get his chance somewhere.

Like Joba a lot. Think he needs a new team, as a starter. And, Phil Hughes stinks. As least as a starter. That sounds like something I would write. Still when the Hippie loses it is hard for me to be happy because I root for him too. Ian says it's just like college-USC vs Washington when they face each other. 

Giant Obsession

Retro, you are so right.

I remember watching Ian, and he had much better overall stuff than either Joba or Hughes.
Just another Yankee fast tracked who wasn't baseball mature, but grew into it.
Yankkes kill me with young pitchers...they nurtured Hughes carefully, then ultra fast tracked Joba who had great initial success.  They do the same with Ian, without the same success.  Banish him to the minors...he comes back in 2009, pitches 1 inning as a bridge to Mo in a BIG game against the Angels on the coast, then he does pitch another inning.

Then trade him.....ultimately for Granderson in a 3-way.
I like Curtis a lot....BUT who would you rather have ????
And I do temper his success with pitching in Nat'l. League where you have 2 guaranteed outs every time through the lineup, BUT he is very good, only 26, and will get even better.

Personally, I would have kept him, our staff would look very formidable in the playoofs with CC, Nova, and Kennedy, plus your rotation is  set for the next 5 years barring injury.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

retrojint

All valid points, Giant Obession. Yes, this was a deal that helped all three teams. That is how they are supposed to work. Also, Ian's last four wins: Padres twice. The big one over the Giants and Lincecum.  And last night against the Pirates. Still: 8-1-0-0-1-12, I believe. He won't get the Cy in all likelihood. They'll give it to a Phillie. Lee has him by about .5 on the ERA, which is substantial. Kennedy needed to leave. I'd like to see Joba start over, too.