News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rays, Red Sox, & Yankees

Started by retrojint, September 16, 2011, 12:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retrojint

and, by extension, Angels-Rangers, who end this season with 3 @ the Big A.

This is getting interesting. No one seriously believes that Tampa is going to take 3 more in a row against the Red Sox in Boston. However three of four (the starting pitching match-ups seem favorable for that scenario) would give the Rays a net gain of 2. And then they have 5 coming up with the Yankees, who also have 3 left with the Red Sox. Consider all of the delightful possibilities contained therein.  I think after it all settles the Rangers, Yankees and Red Sox will have maintained position. But I think Scioscia and Maddon are the 2 best managers involved so you never know. 
"When the going gets tough, I shall return.....much later."

Bill Brown

As a Sox fan, I am very worried about this stretch drive.  The starting pitching staff is in shambles.  Like our beloved Giants, the injuries have piled up.  They are starting guys who I don't have a clue about.  The Yanks have better pitching than the Sox right now and the Rays may have the best starting staff of all 3 teams.  Yanks and Sox have a bit more than the Rays on offense and the Sox need to show that more than the other 2.  Far a long time everyone had the Yanks and Sox are locked into the playoffs but thanks to the Sox losing 7 of the last 8, we now have a playoff race.

Go Sox!!!

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

retrojint

The Rays rotation gives them a good chance against both opponents, Simms/Yat. When you get to the bullpens, I think that swings the other way. Upton is starting to pick up his offense after a miserable 4 months of the season. But, at least against the Yankees, their 220 guys seem to rip key doubles against whoever is out there for the Yankees. Shields tonight, a latter day complete game machine. Will he hold up? 

I see you are what we call a "half breed," Bill. Giants-Red Sox. That frequently means you're an older guy. When the AFL came into being, you didn't immediately embrace the Patriots. Or, perhaps, the loyalties were in the family. You were just following your Dad and older brothers? I am interested in stuff like that.

Bill Brown

Exactly right.  Started as a Giants fan in 58.  Dad was a Giants fan and NY Giants BB fan.  You pick em for life!!!

Bill

Derach

Redsox - Giants fan here ... grew up in the 70's in southwestern mass.  Picked up CBS affiliate in Hartford real well, so Giants were the only FB team we could watch consistently.  Listened to the Sox on the radio.

Anyways, sox are in BIG trouble.  Starting pitching, middle relief, and setup stink.  Youk is hurt and has been mediocre anyways, Crawford is Eli-esque in his ordinary play (does everything well ... except hit the ball), and Pedroia, Gonzalez and Elsbury just aren't good enough collectively to carry the team in the few outings a starting pitcher whose first name doesn't start with a 'J' can hold an opponent to less than 5 runs. 

IF they make it to the playoffs, they won't get far. 

retrojint

Quite a few of you still around I see, Derach. Big win tonight for the Beaners. Beating the formidable Shields. And the Yankees recent offensive ineptitude continues, although CC couldn't maintain a 3-1 lead. Boston can severely dent the Rays chances by getting one more win in the series.

Webster29

Well what do you know.   The Angels have caught the Rays at 2 1/2 games behind the Sox for the WC.  Of course the Sox get a break playing the Yankees this week end.   Going to be an interesting week in MLB.

retrojint

Theo and Terry deny that there is a split with the Bolsheviks. Neil Diamond warming up with a has-been version of "Sweet Caroline" as we type. If the Red Sox slide in, as I think they will, they shouldn't be dismissed as a championship candidate. As I recall Four Rings Joe's last WS Championship (against Mets) was with a team that won less than 90 games that season (2000) because they basically went 0 for Sept. Playoffs = whole different season. Last night's rainout will be made up as part of a day-night doubleheader tomorrow. Makes for a wild Sunday for Giants-Yankees fans.

Derach

Quote from: retrojint on September 24, 2011, 11:38:11 AM
Theo and Terry deny that there is a split with the Bolsheviks. Neil Diamond warming up with a has-been version of "Sweet Caroline" as we type. If the Red Sox slide in, as I think they will, they shouldn't be dismissed as a championship candidate. As I recall Four Rings Joe's last WS Championship (against Mets) was with a team that won less than 90 games that season (2000) because they basically went 0 for Sept. Playoffs = whole different season. Last night's rainout will be made up as part of a day-night doubleheader tomorrow. Makes for a wild Sunday for Giants-Yankees fans.

The Sox are done.  The Sox and the Tito/Theo team are splitting up.  Theo was 'wooed' back once already, he won't let the door smack him on his ass on the way out this time.  Best case scenario might be the sox winning a short series and getting SPANKED by the well rested and battle tested Yanks for a best of 7 where the sharp dropoff in the Sox rotation will stand out.  Ownership can dump either GM or HC and leave them with the dignity of at least having salvaged something from the 'best team of all time' as anointed in March.   

Of more immediate concern for the Sox, are the Yanks even going to show up for the Rays this week?  The are in risk of losing nothing and TB is playing w/ a purpose.  On the flip side, the O's have given the Sox fits of late.  The games are certainly worth watching though!

weeze

wow, look at all the support for my rays!
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!

Bill Brown

Webster29

Well I see Francona got the ax.    I guess someone had to pay.   Don't follow the Sox but I always thought he did a pretty good job managing them.  Such is live in sports.

Derach

Quote from: Webster29 on September 30, 2011, 12:58:22 AM
Well I see Francona got the ax.    I guess someone had to pay.   Don't follow the Sox but I always thought he did a pretty good job managing them.  Such is live in sports.

That's too bad.  He's a fine manager with absolutely no cobwebs in his closet.  Class act, through and through.  To blame him, and not the boneheaded signings of players like Renteria, Lugo, Drew, Clement, Gagne, Dice-K, Lackey, Crawford(?) ... and then compound that with players like Youk and Poppi not being able to stay in shape ... I don't see the main blame going to Tito ... but such is the nature of sports. 

I like the Yanks from here on in.  Decent average depth in the bullpen will ensure CC will get enough starts to win it all.  Good luck pinstripes.  Philly will be tough.