News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

For those that like a little pain- a video of THE FUMBLE

Started by MightyGiants, October 25, 2007, 08:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Thought it might have a certain nostalgia value, as well as it's chance for those that only heard of it, to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=090pEcveMIE
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Rich - I have the entire game on DVD and those boos you hear from the crowd at the end were from only about 50% of the crowd as the rest of them were either in the parking lot or on the Turnpike on their way home.  Imagine how loud (and potentially dangerous) it would have been had the full 76K+ remained for that play!

To this day, I cannot help but feel bad for John McVay who didn't deserve all the criticism and abuse he received following that play. There was a good chance he would have taken over for Robustelli and have been the Giants' GM had that play never occured (which would have put the Giants in front position for hiring Bill Walsh). At least he was able to redeem himself by taking the GM position for the 49ers and was a major contributor to the dynasty they built in the 80s.

So many memories ... so many what could-a-beens ...

In the end, the new organization that rose out of the ashes of this game yielded seven winning seasons, six playoff appearances and two Super Bowl victories from 1980-1990.  As great as those times were, I cannot help but wonder what would have happened if McVay and Walsh were leading the Giants, instead, during that period.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

drakew

Aw gees, didja haveta do dat? Where's the SWORD, sumbudy needs to snickersnack lose their head over this one!
"The future ain't what it used to be-" Yogi Berra

LennG

Another thing that came from that game and from that play. From then on, EVERY team, when running out the clock, basically kneeling down, put a man deep into the backfield, to prevent anything like this ever happening again. I do not believe that was ever done before this play.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Wolverine1975

This was a play that should not have been, but too many fingers have been pointed at Pisarcik to the point where no one bothers to consider the Giants' then-offensive coordinator (K-Man, his name escapes me at the moment) who allowed that play to happen.  If anything, it was a blessing in disguise, because it was the beginning of the turnaround of the organization, and not just in specific areas of the team itself.

schloss22

I believe the Offensive Coordinator was named Bob Gibson.  He was fired the week following the game.

MightyGiants

Welcome schloss22!

It's amazing that you can remember that sort of detail.  It's good to have another football history buff. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BlueMoshik

The OC was Bob Gibson, he was fired the DAY after the game, and never worked in football again. The play was entirely his fault; though Pisarcik, Csonka, and the Giants OL all contributed some incredible ineptitude in its execution.

The best coverage of this momentous and awful event is in Dave Klein's 1981 book "Giants Again".