News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Tribute To Our Fallen Brothers And Sisters

Started by vette5573, November 13, 2011, 09:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drakew

"Yes, Lennman, that was true, he had a bit more to do with that. Actually, it was during his Hollywood years, when the Golden Hoofer was on the Newport Beach at a clambake, when a young USC football player named Marion Morrisson sailed in on the riptide Newport Beach was so famous for. The young man, a huge physical specimen, was hurt as he was body surfing, so the Good Doctor tended to his wounds, and sent him on his way, with a phone number to make a follow up appointment, which he never did.

Seems that the wounds were so extensive, that he couldn't play football for the Trojans anymore, so they dropped the young man's scholarship and kicked him out of school. Morrisson then remembered the Good Doctor, and went to see him at the movie lot where he was consulting at the time with his good friend John Ford.

He sized up the rough and tumble Iowan, and said "We can get you a job working props, and as Westerns are all the coming rage, a few choice bit parts are there to be had, we must change your name. Marion Mitchell Morrisson sounds too much like and English country garden sissy, we need a tough name, two first names, Like JOHN, as in my friend John Ford, and like Wayne, in Wayne Buchinsky the fighter. That's good, like JOHN WAYNE. Now," said the Golden Hoofer, "we need some way to make you stand out in the crowd. Pretend I didn't do such a good job on your leg, limp just a bit on that side, hitch your thumbs in your belt, try that." The young man seemed a bit awkward at first, but soon smoothed it out. "Just like that" amused the Golden Hoofer, "just a little hitch in your get-along!" The Hoofer took him to meet John Ford, and history was made that day, as John Wayne was soon to be a star to eclipse even the Golden Hoofer's notoriety"
"The future ain't what it used to be-" Yogi Berra

LennG

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I remembered it also, but I forgot some of the more intricate details. Glad you reminded me.

did the Golden Hoofer ever tell you the story about what he did while his new buddy, 'The Duke' was busy making his first movie.

You see, the good Doctor was sitting around with not much to do. As he had his sketch pad with him at all times,  he started drawing characters he would like to see in children's stories. The Hoofer always loved children and was always doing all he could to help entertain them. anyway, he saw this little mouse running on the floor of the room, so he decided to make a sketch of a mouse, but tried to make him more human. He gave him big ears and some shorts to wear.
While he was sketching, a young man started looking over his shoulder, and liked what he saw. He said, "Gee, I never thought about making a mouse character, but let me borrow your sketch and let me see what i can do with it. That young man's name was Walt Disney. The Golden Hoofer was thrilled that Walt liked his mouse, and told him he had other animals that he had drawn also, like a Duck, a Dog, some birds, a flying elephant. He told Walt he had other great ideas also, but others thought they were just too far fetched, like a beautiful maiden who goes to live with a group of little dwarfs, and another story of a poor sister who gets to go to a ball because of a bunch of mice and a fairy godmother. The Golden Hoofer was also a romantic, and he told Walt about his daydream of a beautiful princess who was put to sleep by an evil witch, only to be woken by a handsome prince.
Walt was fascinated and asked the Hoofer if he would come to work for him, and help design an amusement park he was thinking of building. Of course the Hoofer wanted to help, but told Walt, it would have to wait until after the coming war, as he would be away overseas, spearheading the European war effort. .

To this day, the Golden Hoofer's little mouse has become the symbol of Walt Disney and an endearing image to children of all ages.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

umassgrad

I had the pleasure of meeting Mojo at camp one summer. I was the new guy at the picnic and he really went out of his way to make me feel welcome. We talked for a while and he really made an impression on me, I was very saddened to find out I would never have the chance to meet him again as I read the Mojo chronicles. I always enjoyed reading the posts from Gabes and I really appreciated the kind posts he would send me when I might get offended by the back in forth that would go on in the old message board. CA to me was the ultimate fan. I thought I loved the Giants, but he took it to another level. I remember one post he shared about his game day rituals not to mention his dedication to Giant history. All great members of this board, and all dearly missed.
To you all, I check in here every day, and I've been doing that for the last 20 years or so. You all are like family to me.

drakew

OH BTW "Here comes fresh paint!"
"The future ain't what it used to be-" Yogi Berra

sjgiants

I am a long time lurker. I started at bbwc in 99. I followed all of you over here when this site first started. I feel as though I know many of you, however, many dont know me because i never post. I love to read all of your comments. I have been away from this site for about a year or so. It saddens me greatly to see the passing of such great people and fans. So much knowledge with each of them. This is such a great community and their presences  I will truly miss.

LennG

Glad to see you have remained faithful to our group.

You cannot go forward by not remembering the past and hoping to grow by it.

Why don't you try and post some so we can get to know you??
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

RemembersHuff

The great Mojo, on the left, with our old friend Spider. John was a font of football knowledge and wit, and I can honestly say I enjoyed every interaction I ever had with him, even the disagreements. Just a flat-out great guy.

RemembersHuff

The one and only "Golden Hoofer", aka Gabes.  I got to meet him when he and Joni had travelled to his native RI to visit his mom in a nursing home in Providence. They drove down to Narragansett to meet us for breakfast on a patio by the beach. 

The first thing he did after our greetings, at the age of I believe 68, was to flex his considerable bicep in his tank top and mock-seriously ask me to report back to the BBWC gang that they'd better watch themselves, because "Gabe will kick your @ss !"  He then informed us that he was hesitant to reveal what he'd done for a living before retirement, because it could influence how I perceived him. His lovely wife scoffed and told him he was being silly, but he wouldn't budge. He promised to tell me in six months. I can tell you that for the rest of our vacation in RI that year, my wife and inlaws and I were preoccupied with guessing what the mysterious Gabe's background might hold. (Drake, I know you can relate.)  Some kind of agent was a popular guess -- FBI, CIA, IRS. Perhaps a paroled felon? Nobody guessed medical doctor (eye surgeon, if I recall). 

What a pleasure to know him.

RemembersHuff

Forgive me for sharing a remnant of the other board, but I wanted anyone who wasn't there in '06 to see this.  We used to do an annual t-shirt in time for the summer get-together in Albany, and this one was special.

The ever-mysterious Chris Allen, who often said he might meet up with one member or another at camp but never did, was memorialized on a medallion on the wrecking-ball chain.

Mark

Hello everyone,

I haven't been around much in the past half decade or so, but I wanted to pass on a post that came across my Facebook feed this afternoon. This is news regarding Sam56, a long time member of the old BBWC and BBH. I got to know Sam on both message boards and had the pleasure of meeting him several times in Greensboro, North Carolina.

QuoteThe family of Sam K, has asked to convey a message on facebook about him. As you probably know, Sam has been suffering with a wide variety of health issues for several years including diabetes, congestive heart failure and alzheimer's.

He is currently in the Kernersville Medical Center and will be going to Hospice for care tomorrow. Hospice Home Kate B Reynolds

If you are friends with the family members, please keep them all in your thoughts and prayers as they enter this new phase. Any spare good will, prayers and well wishes would definitely be welcomed. Many people have come by today to offer support and the family thanks you.

Please keep Sam and his family in your thoughts and/or prayers.  :'(

Sincerely,
Mark (formerly BigBlueBuff)

Sem

Very sad news indeed, Thanks for letting us know, Mark. I remember a while back wondering where he was since he hadn't signed in here in a long time. I posted in a thread asking if anyone heard from him.
I'll keep him in my prayers.

LennG

This is very disheartening news. I always liked Sam and had a great relationship with him. Over the years we have many7 posters who, for so many reasons, just stop posting and I thought Sam was one of these. So sorry to hear about his dire health issues. If anyone see relay a message. tell him, or his family he was a great poster and he is in our prayers. We wish him the best, as good as it can be.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

I liked Sam, I always wondered why he left.  I guess now we know why.  My prayers go out to him and his family.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I'm so sorry to hear this. Sam is such a nice man and was a beloved member of this community. I always wanted to meet Sam. May God be with him and Bless him during this transition period of his life knowing how he touched others who are so fond of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

weeze

I member Sam, good guy!
little overzealous on his Yankees but HEY! who isn't overly zealous on their team?
you know we should have a fund or something so when our people have problems we  can send a card or something from the group.
Heck Id gladly donate to help out with the program.
MG can actually get home addresses on the members right? maybe a little work for someone but it would be nice, I think,
just a thought.
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!