News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

New York Yankees thread 2012

Started by Section 101 Steve, January 13, 2012, 09:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Section 101 Steve

Yanks just make blockbuster trade with mariners trading Jesus Montero and Hector Noesi for Michael pineda and Jose Campos. Since no position besides dh for montero available this trade is a steal for the yanks. Can the prince for the dh spot be far behind 
sm

NYSPORTS

Tough to find young starting pitching.  Both sides took a risk here. 

Rambo89

Another example of other teams giving the Yankees their prized possessions for under market value.  I have no sympathy for these teams when they complain about the Yankees.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

madbadger

Quote from: Rambo89 on January 14, 2012, 07:41:20 AM
Another example of other teams giving the Yankees their prized possessions for under market value.  I have no sympathy for these teams when they complain about the Yankees.

I couldn't disagree more. IMHO Yankees prospects are almost always grossly overrated. Montero is a big bat, that's it. He can't field the position at catcher and he's never played first base. Replacing Montero's bat isn't an issue. One large check to Prince Fielder and they've already upgraded from Montero. We got a 22 year old top of the rotation stud in return. You very rarely see a 22 year old future number one starter available. It just doesn't happen. You're giving up a one dimensional player for a kid who will probably be your second starter behind CC. Big win for the Yankees IMHO especially considering that their true crown jewel in the minors is 19 year old C Gary Sanchez, a kid who can hit and can actually field the position.

TXGiant

Badger, I think that was exactly what Rambo was saying- the Yankees got a lot of value for an unproven prospects.

NYSPORTS

Quote from: madbadger on January 14, 2012, 11:24:19 AM
Quote from: Rambo89 on January 14, 2012, 07:41:20 AM

I couldn't disagree more. IMHO Yankees prospects are almost always grossly overrated. Montero is a big bat, that's it. He can't field the position at catcher and he's never played first base. Replacing Montero's bat isn't an issue. One large check to Prince Fielder and they've already upgraded from Montero. We got a 22 year old top of the rotation stud in return. You very rarely see a 22 year old future number one starter available. It just doesn't happen. You're giving up a one dimensional player for a kid who will probably be your second starter behind CC. Big win for the Yankees IMHO especially considering that their true crown jewel in the minors is 19 year old C Gary Sanchez, a kid who can hit and can actually field the position.

I think you mean, you "agree" with him. 

madbadger

Oops. :doh: I dropped the ball on that one. I glanced at his post quickly and misread it.

GiantFan67

This trade is mind boggling. I cannot understand what prompted Mariners to make it. It reminds me of the Kansas City/Yankee underground railroad of years gone by..

joeynygiants

seattle does have many fine young arms, they needed a bat, so the trade made sense for both teams.

the yankees didn't need montero, who has a fine bat, for they have austin romine and gil in the minors who are fine young players who both catchers.

seattle and the yankees once made a deal in 1996, that sent martinez, nelson, and another player who all made the yankees stronger, and seattle weaker.

this trade was a good deal for both teams, but time will tell.

todge

Quote from: GiantFan67 on January 14, 2012, 07:42:54 PM
This trade is mind boggling. I cannot understand what prompted Mariners to make it. It reminds me of the Kansas City/Yankee underground railroad of years gone by..

Perhaps because the kid won one game after the All-Star break?  I am going to play "wait-and-see" before passing judgement on this trade.  Whenever anything looks too good to be true ... it usually is.

Meanwhile, the Yanks continue to be loaded with "swing and miss" hitters who can only feast on bad pitching. Good pitching shuts down this Yanks lineup easily.

katkavage

Good pitching shuts down just about any lineup.

joeynygiants

yankees have a fine lineup, just needed to win in the playoffs is starting pitching.

the yanks have a fine lineup, it was the starters that cost them in the playoffs.

Rambo89

One thing about the Yankees everyday line-up is that it needs to get younger.  Now Montero being a DH and not so much an everyday position player didn't fit on the Yankees, so trading him is something that is no big deal.  But sooner or later they need to start to add some young everyday position players.

They were the best team in the AL East before Friday night and they are even better now.  Yankee fans all in all don't need to worry about them.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

joeynygiants

yes rambo they need to get younger on offense.

somehow they will get it done, for given a chance who wouldn't play for the yankees.