News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

what about the 60s

Started by LennG, January 25, 2024, 11:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Great tune. I love hearing violins and horns in rock :ok:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

I must be old because I remember all 18 things  :(

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 10, 2024, 01:28:56 PMI must be old because I remember all 18 things  :(

I am older and remember them PLUS a whole lot more.  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on April 10, 2024, 03:08:48 PMI am older and remember them PLUS a whole lot more.  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

The true definition of someone who lived through the 60's, is that they have no recollection at all...LOL

Bill Brown

""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Jolly Blue Giant

In 1968, George Harrison wrote a song that the Beatles liked, and tried over and over to get it right. They determined, in the end, that they did not have the musical talent to make it sound how it was meant to sound. Ever hear of it? They took 110 takes, and finally gave up. However, a bootleg copy of the 102nd take was released (not by the Beatles, of course). It's called, "Not Guilty"

BTW - you'd think that autocorrect and spell check would finally add "Beatles" to an acceptable word in the English language. Still always comes up highlighted as though I've made a spelling mistake...at least on my computer. It's underlined a few times in this post...but I digress. Take a listen and share your thoughts

kartanoman

Is this thread "What about the 60s" or "What MUSIC about the 60s?" I mean, even in the 80s, we were mostly playing the 60s.

The decade had just enough space to squeeze me in on an early Saturday morning in March of 1969. So, while you were all out there hanging out with the music stars of the day (NOTE: which I'd later catch up with in their 20th anniversary concerts in the 80s), or overseas bravely executing your mission (NOTE: you were an inspiration which made it easier for me to raise my hand for four years of Active Duty), or living up to your "Baby Boomer" stereotype (NOTE: or not, just as I was living down to my "Generation X," but most of you all took me in, under your wing, when I broke into the workforce and I appreciated you for that, but the "Greatest Generation" old timers, man, I miss them dearly).

I was grateful to be born in the original Apex of the Spage Age, with seeing Armstrong setting foot on the moon, while I was in diapers in my playpen, or crib, or wherever the heck my mom tried to put me so she could get a moment's peace! It set the tone for what would be my passion and, living the dream now for three and a half decades, it seems appropriate I was a child, if only for a few months, of the 60s.

Of course, for my generation, the 60s was indeed revolutionary. Looking at the world from the innocence of a child, we were the first generation raised by Big Bird, Ernie and Bert, Oscar the Grouch and all the characters of Sesame Street, which also debuted in 1969. A couple of years before that, on the old National Educational Television (NET) Network (i.e. the precursor to PBS), a young man from Pittsburgh, PA debuted what would become the longest running children's television show in history, prior to its retirement, several years following his passing. Of course, I'm talking about Fred Rogers and his original "MisteRogers Neighborhood" and, subsequently, "Mister Rogers Neighborhood," which had its origins in Canada in the early 1960s, but officially began its run in 1968.

Not very much else comes to mind unless I look at old photos. I do remember when Dairy Queen opened down the street on Bayway Ave. in Elizabeth, NJ where I grew up. In those days, the signs would say "Dairy Queen Brazier." They would emphasize "Brazier" for the stores which had the BBQ grills for burgers, hot dogs, etc. For a treat, once in a long time, mom would give my brother and I money to eat lunch there since it was close to the Catholic School we went to. We'd order our "Brazier Burgers" with fries and a Coke and that made the day. Eating out was a rare privilege since both my mom, and well as my grandmother (NOTE: we lived in the typical two-family houses common to North Jersey with the basement/garage you'd drive down into) were outstanding chefs and, being a hardcore Polish household, the best Polish food on our cul-de-sac was had at our home with those two ladies tag-teaming up food for the Polish Armies who'd drive in from miles away, as well as the neighbors who couldn't resist the smells.

Anyway, a little input from someone who tasted the tail-end of the 60s and still appreciates that experience to this day.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

LennG

Quote from: kartanoman on April 14, 2024, 06:22:41 PMIs this thread "What about the 60s" or "What MUSIC about the 60s?" I mean, even in the 80s, we were mostly playing the 60s.

The decade had just enough space to squeeze me in on an early Saturday morning in March of 1969. So, while you were all out there hanging out with the music stars of the day (NOTE: which I'd later catch up with in their 20th anniversary concerts in the 80s), or overseas bravely executing your mission (NOTE: you were an inspiration which made it easier for me to raise my hand for four years of Active Duty), or living up to your "Baby Boomer" stereotype (NOTE: or not, just as I was living down to my "Generation X," but most of you all took me in, under your wing, when I broke into the workforce and I appreciated you for that, but the "Greatest Generation" old timers, man, I miss them dearly).

I was grateful to be born in the original Apex of the Spage Age, with seeing Armstrong setting foot on the moon, while I was in diapers in my playpen, or crib, or wherever the heck my mom tried to put me so she could get a moment's peace! It set the tone for what would be my passion and, living the dream now for three and a half decades, it seems appropriate I was a child, if only for a few months, of the 60s.

Of course, for my generation, the 60s was indeed revolutionary. Looking at the world from the innocence of a child, we were the first generation raised by Big Bird, Ernie and Bert, Oscar the Grouch and all the characters of Sesame Street, which also debuted in 1969. A couple of years before that, on the old National Educational Television (NET) Network (i.e. the precursor to PBS), a young man from Pittsburgh, PA debuted what would become the longest running children's television show in history, prior to its retirement, several years following his passing. Of course, I'm talking about Fred Rogers and his original "MisteRogers Neighborhood" and, subsequently, "Mister Rogers Neighborhood," which had its origins in Canada in the early 1960s, but officially began its run in 1968.

Not very much else comes to mind unless I look at old photos. I do remember when Dairy Queen opened down the street on Bayway Ave. in Elizabeth, NJ where I grew up. In those days, the signs would say "Dairy Queen Brazier." They would emphasize "Brazier" for the stores which had the BBQ grills for burgers, hot dogs, etc. For a treat, once in a long time, mom would give my brother and I money to eat lunch there since it was close to the Catholic School we went to. We'd order our "Brazier Burgers" with fries and a Coke and that made the day. Eating out was a rare privilege since both my mom, and well as my grandmother (NOTE: we lived in the typical two-family houses common to North Jersey with the basement/garage you'd drive down into) were outstanding chefs and, being a hardcore Polish household, the best Polish food on our cul-de-sac was had at our home with those two ladies tag-teaming up food for the Polish Armies who'd drive in from miles away, as well as the neighbors who couldn't resist the smells.

Anyway, a little input from someone who tasted the tail-end of the 60s and still appreciates that experience to this day.

Peace!

Nice story Chris. Since you lived in what we are referring to, as the '60s, you are accepted even if you are a young squirt to some of us.    :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Too bad you were a bit too young to live thru what was then, the miracle Mets of 1969. Being from NJ, you would have caught that 'fever' as the entire NYC metro area were all Mets fans.

I can see Baby Chris doing a disco dance and everyone thinking it was so cute.  =))  =))  =))  =))

It was an exciting time though also with a lot of pain.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on April 15, 2024, 12:48:33 PMNice story Chris. Since you lived in what we are referring to, as the '60s, you are accepted even if you are a young squirt to some of us.    :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Too bad you were a bit too young to live thru what was then, the miracle Mets of 1969. Being from NJ, you would have caught that 'fever' as the entire NYC metro area were all Mets fans.

I can see Baby Chris doing a disco dance and everyone thinking it was so cute.  =))  =))  =))  =))

It was an exciting time though also with a lot of pain.

Apart from the low points: Cuban missile crisis, the Bay of Pigs, the assassination of our President, Martin Luther King Jr., Sen. Robert Kennedy, and Malcolm X, the hippie revolution, rampant drug use (three main musicians died at 27 yrs old - Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison), the Vietnam War and tens of thousands of deaths of our soldiers, the magnitude of protestors burning buildings and creating havoc, kids on college campus getting mowed down by the National Guard, Charles Manson and his horrifying murders, there were some high points

Yankees were in 5 world series during the 60s  :ok:
Roger Maris broke Babe Ruth's record in '61
Man flew to the moon, walked on it, flew home
And yes, the Miracle Mets had a year to remember (I doubt Billy Buckner sees it the same way)  =))

The 60's were a decade like no other in U.S. history

kartanoman

Thanks, gentlemen!

What was great about the 60s was its influence going forward. I was a clean slate so much of that culture's after-effect was still around and I picked up plenty through the kids' shows of the early to mid 70s. Great stuff, but I still loved "All in the Family," the greatest TV show ever made, and all the way to "Alice," which must have influenced me because I'm here in Arizona now, and have been to a place which operates just like the old "Mel's Diner," but the food is amazing!

I missed the Yankee dominance of the 50s and early 60s, but was glued to the set in 1977 when The Bronx Was Burning and the Reggie Bar was born falling Mr. October's straw-stirring performance (as in drink) against the Dodgers to win the Series in six. Cliff Johnson was my hero and Heathcliff once hit two home runs in the same inning that year ... amazing! The Bronx Bombers repeated in '78 with the unlikely combination of Doyle and Dent both offensively and defensively taking the series over. It all ended in tragedy, half a season later, when Thurman Munson's jet crashed and he was gone. The shock from that moment has never subsided, even to this very day. I cannot think about him without tearing up. Then, an emotional Bobby Murcer hits his first home run since coming back to the Yankees and drives home the winning run against Baktimore who won the division and American League that year.

So many tunes from the 60s I played during my teen years and still do, from time to time.

I'm with you all in spirit and will offer anything else which comes up. BTW, last night on MeTV, I thought of you all while watching the Ed Sullivan Show.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 15, 2024, 01:57:20 PMApart from the low points: Cuban missile crisis, the Bay of Pigs, the assassination of our President, Martin Luther King Jr., Sen. Robert Kennedy, and Malcolm X, the hippie revolution, rampant drug use (three main musicians died at 27 yrs old - Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison), the Vietnam War and tens of thousands of deaths of our soldiers, the magnitude of protestors burning buildings and creating havoc, kids on college campus getting mowed down by the National Guard, Charles Manson and his horrifying murders, there were some high points

Yankees were in 5 world series during the 60s  :ok:
Roger Maris broke Babe Ruth's record in '61
Man flew to the moon, walked on it, flew home
And yes, the Miracle Mets had a year to remember (I doubt Billy Buckner sees it the same way)  =))

The 60's were a decade like no other in U.S. history

Ric

Those Mets were in the 80s if memory serves. The 69 Mets beat the much-favored Orioles.  Sorry.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on April 15, 2024, 08:52:53 PMRic

Those Mets were in the 80s if memory serves. The 69 Mets beat the much-favored Orioles.  Sorry.

You are right Lenn. Wasn't thinking, just typing...duhh. And I forgot to add "Woodstock" as one of the "high points", although there were plenty of people that would add that to the "low points".

Anyway, it was in the 60's when Tug McGraw excited fans and made history with the "Amazin Mets", and he was a showman on the mound for sure. Funny thing, most people under 50 (young snots) have no clue who Tug was, but they know his son Tim extremely well. I saw Tim in concert back in the day when I had no clue Tug was his father. And Tim did a pretty good job in playing the role of James Dutton in the "1883" series a couple of years ago, along with his wife in real life, Faith Hill

Like Tug, Tim is not unfamiliar with being the center of attention and raising hell...like riding off on a policeman's horse (when the cop wasn't paying attention) in Buffalo and getting busted. He had a lot of run-ins with the law. I saw him in concert before he found love, and it was rockier than any rock concert I've ever been to...swinging from a rope across the stage 40 feet in the air. Then everything changed...he was headlining a concert and the undercard was the prettiest girl in country music at the time, young Faith Hill...and she had a weakness for "bad boys", which Tim reveled in - scary how that happens. However, once he married Faith Hill, he really settled down to become a highly responsible and dignified man. Most football fans know Faith Hill as she introduced Sunday Night Football for years before the younger Carrie Underwood took over that role

This song is funny because at the part where he sings "...gathered round my teepee just to catch a peek at me..." and hundreds of girls would throw panties on the stage requiring a group of people with brooms to sweep the stage after the song...LOL. Also, at the end of the song he steals the lines from Paul Revere and the Raiders, "Indian Reservation", which was a big hit in the 60's. My boss was also at the concert and started studying the structure of the arena, wondering if the building (solid concrete) could withstand the music and the out of control crowd. Fun times...and at the time, I had no clue he was Tug's son, but obviously old enough to remember Tug well...

At the concert he introduced a song he had never played before and depending on the crowds' reaction, he said he would release it as a record. The crowd in Binghamton loved it, and it went on to be a big hit in the country music world...it was "I Like it, I Love it". He was a rock star in the country world and his live concerts were louder and rockier than any rock concert I had ever attended...so much so, that the live showings hardly resembled the song that was released on the radio

In short, for older guys (especially Mets fans), Tug was the man, but in reality, his son was (and is) much bigger on the world stage

Jolly Blue Giant

You know you've made it when Taylor Swift writes a song about you. When she was 14, she had a crush on Tim McGraw and wrote the song, "Tim McGraw"

Tim and Faith heard her for the first time and said, "she's going to be a star". Since then, she's had Tim as a guest in her concert many times...so it's always funny when she pretends to be shocked. But Taylor doesn't usually sing "Tim McGraw" as she's limited to 25-30 songs at her concerts, so if she does sing it, you can bet your life he's behind the stage ready to join her. Tim's three daughters are in their 20's and almost as old as Taylor, and for those who think Taylor and Tim have a thing going on, she is also joined on stage with Faith, who happens to love her and they sing "Tim McGraw" together

Here's a show with 3 songs...Taylor starts out singing about her teenage heartthrob, "Tim McGraw", he joins her and sings his song, "Highway Don't Care" in which in his song he talks of the loneliness of being on the road and turning on the radio, only to hear Taylor's song, "I Can't Live Without You". Finally, Australian country music superstar and husband of Nicole Kidman comes on stage to show off his guitar skills as he is one of the best guitarists in the world

Jolly Blue Giant

I was reading an article today about the Beatles and was a bit stunned. In an interview, the Beatles were asked who influenced them the most when starting out. The usual nod to Elvis went out and Lennon said, "without Elvis, there would be no Beatles"...which I kind of doubt, but that's what he said. Quote from the article:

"In their early years, "they were influenced by the songwriting team of Goffin and King (Gerry Goffin and Carole King). Lennon and McCartney in their early days aspired to be the 'next Goffin and King' as those are the musicians who they liked, and who had a large impact on their lives."

They also said that Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band was a product of "Pet Sounds," with The Beatles trying to top it, because they thought it was geniusly written

I know I've talked about it in the past on here, but I was unaware Goffin influenced the Beatles. To retell the story from another thread from the past, in case you missed, I was in a bar in Binghamton one night and decided to step out on the patio for a smoke. I sat at a table by myself when this raggedy looking man came over and asked if he could join me. He looked like a homeless guy with ragged jeans, flannel shirt over a worn out tee, scraggly white beard, and had messy long gray hair. I said, "of course, join me"

So I struck up a conversation by asking him where he's from (expecting a homeless shelter or under a bridge somewhere). He responded, "I'm from California". This caused my head to tilt with a look of curiosity on my face, so I said, "what on earth are you doing in Binghamton". He replied that he flew into town to accept an award. With each question, I got more and more interested in who this guy was. So I asked, "what kind of award?" and my face must have given me away as someone who didn't believe him, but I'm never rude to strangers, especially homeless people. Whenever I saw a homeless man around that particular bar digging through sand hoping to find a butt to smoke, I'd give him my pack. Regardless, he responded, "I came here to accept a music award". Again, the look on my face must've looked like I was confused and now very interested. I assumed a musician, pianist, or something. So I asked, "were you in a band in the past or play an instrument?". He said, "no, I just write music". He then went on to say he was actually in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Now I'm really, really interested. He said he wrote music with his ex-wife Carol King  :o

Well, now I am the most inquisitive man in the world and had to know more. Anyway, we chatted for at least a half an hour and smoked at least a couple cigarettes each. He rattled off songs he had written, and I knew a lot of them (not really my era). He said he loved the era of doo wop, and he wrote songs for the doo wop bands, which was his favorite time of writing music. He asked me if I ever heard the song, "Who Put the Bomp in the Bomp ...". I told him I was vaguely aware of the song. He said it was still his favorite songs he ever wrote. He told me he loved songs with lyrics styled after the phonetic sound of words, even though the words were silly and made no sense. He also told me he wrote, "Will You Still Love me Tomorrow" (which I knew very well), and rattled off a bunch of others ("Take Good Care of my Baby", "Some Kind of Wonderful", "Loco-Motion", "Go Away Little Girl", "Just Once in My Life", etc.). I asked him what was the last song he wrote that I would be more familiar with, and he said, "probably 'Don't Bring me Down'"

Anyway, he told me about his marriage to Carol King and how they still get along, and talked about his children. But he was a gentleman who asked me what I did for a living, my family, etc., and was genuinely interested. Incredibly down to earth guy who might be one of the most interesting people I've ever met. To sit and chat for a half hour is beyond believable. Never judge a man by his looks and his clothing...LOL

Regardless, today I read that Paul McCartney and John Lennin strove to write like this guy who sat with me and spent a lot of time just talking...who I initially thought was a homeless bum. This is shocking to me, as there's not much bigger than life than the Beatles.  :o  Small world

Gerry Goffin and Carol King in their early years and the later (BTW, he passed away at 75 back in 2014)