News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Alex Webster Passes Away

Started by vette5573, March 03, 2012, 06:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimv

Oh my, that's REALLY too bad.  My prayers for Big Red & his family.  A truly GREAT Giant!

Giant Obsession

This is sad....a great GIANT.

In Eliot Asinof's book "Seven Days to Sunday" he was mentioned prominently throughout.  You got a good feel for his personality and the man just from that book.

His only problem as a coach was he needed more players like himself.  He was innovative, loved the man in motion and different formations, in a day when everyone ran out of the same split backfield.

R.I.P. Alex...and thank you for everything and for being a real GIANT.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Giant Obsession

Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

Webster29

Obviously this one hits me real hard.  I knew Red had been in poor health for some time.  I was so happy to see that he was able to first of all be honored by inclusion in the ring of honor and secondly that he was able to attend the ceremony in person.  I was considering going to that game just to see him so honored but was not able to put the trip together.  Now I wish that perhaps I would have tried a little harder.

When I was a kid and getting hooked on sports I developed 4 "favorite" players.  Kenny Sears in basketball, Andy Bathgate in hockey, The Mick in baseball and Big Red in football.  I had been asked in the past why Alex.  He was a good player.  He was a star player.  But he was on a team loaded with star players.  To an impressionable kid of 8 it would have been so easy to pick Giff, Sam, Kyle, Charlie, Andy, Kat or later YA.  But one Sunday morning my dad took me to a small diner for breakfast.  They also sold magazines and I saw a football one and picked it up.  I went right to the Giants section.  They were my favorite team.  And there was a full page picture of this big guy with a high leg kick, football tucked under one arm and other arm extended.  He wore a blue jersey with a big white 29 on it.  I was hooked.   I thought it was the coolest football picture I had ever seen.  From that point on Alex Webster was my guy.   

A few years later when I played my first organized football, junior high football as we did not have Pop Warner or midget leagues back then my first jersey was a hand me down from the jv team.  It was tattered and torn and worn out but it was number 29.  You couldn't separate me from that old thing.  I loved it and wouldn't have traded it for anything.

Alex, thank you so much for the great memories you gave me.  May you rest in peace and my sincere condolances to your family and the entire Giant family.

joeynygiants

what a great player he was.

my best wishes to his family.

sad day in giant team history.

Giant Obsession

Mike

Sem

jimv

Bill, as soon as I saw the headline, YOU were the first one I thought of.

St Marys

Always sad to read about the old guard passing on.  R.I.P.

Painter

Big Red always will be one of my all-time favorite Giants. I had the pleasure of having a few pops with him in Gallagher's on more than one occasion. Just a really nice man.

May he rest in peace with all the great Giants who have gone before him.

NapoleonBlownapart

RIP Mr Webster

You were very kind to this 9 year old at the time when I asked you @ Monmouth college training camp 1972 "why did you trade my favorite player Fran Tarkenton away to the Vikings. why didn't you keep him?" 

you must have been bombarded by us Kids that summer with the same question and you were nice as pie talking to me and my father.

Big Red smiled, looked at my Dad shook his hand and said;  "hey you have a little newspaper man there in the making"... he then shook my hand and said "Son we traded him because he no longer wanted to be a NYG and play with us".... absolute stunned silence by me, followed by a  "thank you Mr Webster" as he smiled and walked down the fence observing the team stretching.