News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Memorial Day Tribute to a Giant- Albert Charles Blozis

Started by MightyGiants, May 27, 2012, 10:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Al Blozis

Sport: Football

Born: January 5, 1919

Died: January 21, 1945

Town: Garfield, New Jersey

Albert Charles Blozis was born January 5, 1919 in Garfield. After his family moved to Hudson County, Al attended Dickinson High School in Jersey City. He was the star of the track team, using his 6
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimv

NapoleonBlownapart

My late Dad, whom saw every NYG game at the polo grounds from 1938-55 (minus 1951/52 Korean War)  said this about Mr Blozis:

"He was gonna be a great one.  He was the first big lineman I can remember them signing. He was huge towering over both teams.  Whenever a Giant RB needed a yard or 2, they ran right behind him.  On sweeps, he would lead the corner and take out 2-3 guys with his body.  and on defense? he was an absolute terror, Steve Owen moving him around the line (ala Rover) and destroying his opponent.  I saw him play his last game, a 14-7 loss to the Packers in the championship game.  He was not the reason they lost.  The Packers ran away from him whenever they could and he chased them.  Had he not died? A line of Derogatis/Weinmeister/Blozis would have been something in the late 40's early 50's...it just was not meant to be sadly"