News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Preview 2012 - Offense

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 08, 2012, 03:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinged18

I really see the giants getting a tackle over a guard only because they have more depth at guard and guards are easier and less expensive to get then Tackles. If they do take a guard then it will be late in the draft, nothing higher than their 2nd, 4th round pick

UKGiantsFan

WR Preview

The talent available
As usual there is a handful of top end talent with depth lasting into the third day of the draft and likely to produce future starters fitting into all kinds of offensive schemes and different players appealing to different teams for different reasons.

The Giants like speed and playmaking ability. They like players with the ability to catch the ball downfield on the wide outside and they like guys in the slot who can catch the ball underneath and make big plays after the catch as well as stretching the middle of the field. In terms of size they don

MightyGiants

Another outstanding job Ceri!  Well done :ok:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

I think Stephen Hill will be taken before the Giants pick at 32 but not definitely.  I will be very interested to see what they do if he is there.  Reese has been known to go after pure talent (i.e. JPP and Osi).

Stinged18

I think Sanu would be a great fit for the Giants. We all saw what happened to this team when Nicks dropped that ball in the Washington game. Sanu catches everything and will do the one thing that Eli loves his receivers to do and that is be agressive and go up into the air and get the ball when Eli throws up one of his famous jump balls.

I like Sanu over every receiver but Hill. Hill would be the one I would want but he wont be in there in the second and probably not even in the first. We should take Fleener in the first and Sanu in the second.

nb587

I don't agree with your Sanu evaluation. I don't enough about the other wide receivers to make a legitimate comparison but I think Sanu would make a valuable contribution to this team if he was available at the end of the 2nd round.  By the end of the 3rd round, I think he'd be a steal but as with all rounds, it depends on who else is available when the Giants pick.  Sanu played for a few different offensive coordinators with radically different offensive philosophies and he came into the program as a defensive back/quarterback having had no experience as a wide receiver.  He played with lots of different QBs none of whom will ever suit up in the NFL and for several years playing alongside absolutely atrocious offensive lines.  He was always the player that the opposition wanted to take away so he was always double teamed and often triple teamed which I think explains the yards after catch issue (if there is an issue).  He has very good hands and is fearless in going over the middle and is strong the way Hakeem Nicks is strong.  I also think he runs faster than his 40 time in the same way that Victor Cruz does.  Cruz does not have a great 40 but I saw him run away from defenders who had much better 40 times. I think Sanu (and Cruz) are fast football players not track people. 

Sanu can be valuable in every aspect of the special teams both as a return person and covering both punts and kickoffs.  He is a very good tackler and a solid citizen with very good work habits and no off the field issues.  He also ran the wildcat well. 

As a disclaimer, I am a Rutgers fan and both of my sons went there so I saw alot of him over the years. Initially, I expected him to be a 1st round pick and that does not seem like it's going to happen.  But, I couldn't disagree more with your assessment that you don't want Sanu on the Giants.  Coughlin and Manning, in my opinion, would love him on the team. It just depends who else is available when the Giants pick.

President Rick

timing in this draft is key with the WR's this year.  some are reaches in the first round and blue light sale bargains if they fall to the 3rd.  lots to pick from.  I see us taking a WR in the first three rounds and I hope it's a guy with Nicks' size or better...another Plax.  unless we think, as JR implies, that we already have that guy and his name is barden.  one of the many write-ups [on yahoo] saw KWright as a potential bust.  like all the other positions, we don't have a glaring need.  I hope to see 2 OL in the top 5 picks, likely a WR & RB and probably a safety.  We did our LB drafting last year unless a real gem slips to us.    this could be a very intriguing draft for us Giants fans.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

UKGiantsFan

TE Preview

The talent available
This has to be the weakest position in the draft by far as not only are there few top end talents, there are actually very few players available that even merit being drafted. Needless to say this preview didn't take very long to write!

What do I think the Giants should do?
The Giants lost both starting TE Jake Ballard and back-up Travis Beckum to torn ACL

MightyGiants

So many H-back types.  Where are the true TEs?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MP21WAYS2PAY

I don't know where he fits value-wise, but doesn't USC's Rhett Ellison seem like a perfect fit for the Giants?

Rhett Ellison, USC:

He isn't as athletic as others in this draft, but he is versatile, having also lined up as fullback and wide receiver for the Trojans. Ellison's father, Riki, played linebacker for the 49ers and Raiders.

Rhett Ellison made the transition from tight end to fullback last fall, a move that not only helped the Trojans but helped Ellison be ranked as the No. 1 fullback in the draft by ESPN.  Ellison is just under 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds with dependable skills and a strong work ethic. When the NFL scouts call Lane Kiffin to ask about Ellison, he certainly will tell them about the fact that USC renamed its team leadership award after Ellison. If there are still any doubts about his pedigree, scouts can look to his father Riki, a former USC linebacker who won two Super Bowls in a nine-year NFL career.

MP21WAYS2PAY

Quote from: MP21WAYS2PAY on April 26, 2012, 11:44:32 AM
I don't know where he fits value-wise, but doesn't USC's Rhett Ellison seem like a perfect fit for the Giants?

Rhett Ellison, USC:

He isn't as athletic as others in this draft, but he is versatile, having also lined up as fullback and wide receiver for the Trojans. Ellison's father, Riki, played linebacker for the 49ers and Raiders.

Rhett Ellison made the transition from tight end to fullback last fall, a move that not only helped the Trojans but helped Ellison be ranked as the No. 1 fullback in the draft by ESPN.  Ellison is just under 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds with dependable skills and a strong work ethic. When the NFL scouts call Lane Kiffin to ask about Ellison, he certainly will tell them about the fact that USC renamed its team leadership award after Ellison. If there are still any doubts about his pedigree, scouts can look to his father Riki, a former USC linebacker who won two Super Bowls in a nine-year NFL career.

Yes.  I thought so.

MightyGiants

Quote from: MP21WAYS2PAY on March 10, 2017, 01:40:23 PM
Yes.  I thought so.

Good call!   =D>

Interesting trivia, Ellison was picked right after Reese drafted the "JPP of TEs"
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE