News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Anatomy of a Play: The Big Hitter Breaks Down the Manning to Manningham Pass

Started by bighitterdalama, April 09, 2012, 12:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighitterdalama

The Eli Manning to Mario Manningham pass in Super Bowl XLVI is perhaps the most perfectly executed pass play in Super Bowl history. It is also with no doubt the play that resulted in the Giants winning their fourth Super Bowl in the past twenty six years, the most Super Bowl victories over that time span by any organization in the NFL. Following the game, I decided that I would examine the available video and break down the play for posting onto the Big Blue Huddle. I have broken down the play into its constituent parts. I hope that you all enjoy it. 

The Situation

The Patriots lead the Giants, 17-15, fourth quarter, with 3:46 remaining in the game. The Giants have the ball, first and ten, on their own twelve yard line. The ball sits on the left hash mark. This is particularly important, as the pre-snap ball position makes the right side of the field the wide side.

The Personnel

The Giants

tomeee

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dumpster Dan

Big Hitter

You brought the entire play back to life for me--I didn't need the You Tube--As I read your analysis I could picture the entire play unfolding

Thanks a million

Fladan

files58

Thank you. Yes it was a terrific catch, but each time I watch the play I am more and more amazed by the pass itself. Eli could not have been more accurate if he handed the ball to MM on the sideline. How many QB's past and present can make that throw?

spiderblue43

Eli had those moments last year of unbelievable fortitude and ability to move and slide, stay within the process and stand and deliver. He simply was incredibly great last year. Amazing. Whatever happened in the off season to fuel his fire, it worked. That throw was on a dime, to heave it almost 45 yards on target is elite, superstar talent. He is very special and we are blessed to have him.

joeynygiants

what is very strange is thats those two plays were both truly special plays in the history of the super bowl.

both lead to the winning tds drives, which both defeated tom brady.

this is why manning will probably make the hall of fame.

he never has miss a game, needs 14 td passes to pass simms all time.

just think, more to come.

Sem

President Rick

nice analysis.  thanks for all the hard work.  one other thing really impressed me on this play, and it occurred prior to the snap.....your clips don't show it but the nfl net replay of the game does. 

watch MM as he lines up for the play.  he barely nods toward Eli and subtly points down the field...it was just enough to say "I see it too".  MM was seeing where the pats' safeties were set, inside near the hashmarks, as the clips show.  MM correctly read just what Eli was seeing and thinking.  Run the deep sideline pattern.  QB and WR were right on the same line of the same page.  Both knew what the play had to be.  And Eli threw a perfect pass.  Go Giants.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

jimmyz

Eli only froze Chung for a fraction of a second.  Chung still got into the area of the field where the pass was thrown.  It was a perfect pass.  All the credit goes to Eli on this play.  The coverage was by no means shabby.  The ball was just dropped in perfectly and was by all counts undefensible.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

bldevil

Great analysis.  It also nicely highlights that this play wasn't simply earned on the playing field but also on the practice field and in the film room.
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

andrew_nyg

Brian...awesome work! Thanks for the insight.

Funnily enough, for some reason when you put this up I assumed the Manning to Manningham winning TD connection in the NFC Championship game in Frisco  :D

Mario certainly had his share of moments in this run.

Regarding Eli, I marvel at how fast these reads need to be made, and how quickly he executes.

It's scary to think about Eli continuing this level of play with a sufficient running game and better pass protection moving forward.  =D>

Thanks again, BIG HITTER!
A modest view of your future brings modest results and rewards. Think BIG and give people the opportunity to WIN BIG.