News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Preview 2012 - Defense

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 13, 2012, 07:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKGiantsFan

DT Review

The talent available
While there are plenty of good players available I

Philosophers

I agree that it seems ridiculous to reach for a DT if you took one last season and you don't have any more data to suggest Austin can't play.  Must give him a chance.  Seem solid with Canty/Joseph.

MightyGiants

Good work Ceri.  I had Wolfe in my Giants Mock draft (rnd 4) do you have thoughts on him?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 14, 2012, 03:34:51 PM
Good work Ceri.  I had Wolfe in my Giants Mock draft (rnd 4) do you have thoughts on him?

Yes, I think he's one of the lighter, more athletic DT's who will be converted to 3-4 DE. I therefore can't see him appealing to us.

MightyGiants

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on April 14, 2012, 04:55:12 PM

Yes, I think he's one of the lighter, more athletic DT's who will be converted to 3-4 DE. I therefore can't see him appealing to us.

Ceri,

Could he be another Canty?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 14, 2012, 05:09:00 PM
Quote from: UKGiantsFan on April 14, 2012, 04:55:12 PM

Ceri,

Could he be another Canty?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I definitely DON'T think so.

Jaime

Ceri, My Mock has Kendall Reyes as our selection in the 1st Rd. @ #32 overall. The DL versatility of this Prospect stems from his multi-sport background. One, three & five tech. ability. Reyes is a rare blend of athleticism, speed (4.79), & size...Oh yeah did I mention power ( 36 Reps). What is there not to like bout this DL marvel? Like u said, four year guy, two-time "C", also durable with no injury history seen.
Believe Reyes to be a super fit for us...

Zombo

I like Martin any round after 3....and 3 wouldn't be too far a reach I think

Stinged18

What do you guys think about Brett Roy from Nevada. I know he is a smaller DT but the guy had 10 sacks last and 18.5 tackles for losses. The year before he 14.5 tackles for losses and 8 sacks with one extra game. You can clearly see he got better with experience and we could possibly get this kid in the 6th or even 7th round.

UKGiantsFan

DE/Joker Preview

The talent available
As usual there is a handful of top end talent with depth lasting into the third day of the draft and likely to produce future starters fitting into all kinds of offensive schemes and different players appealing to different teams for different reasons.

The Giants have a

President Rick

anyone else suspect that JR will go DE at 32 and draft the future OL players in rounds 2-4?
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Painter

A truly accurate assessment, Ceri.  You certainly nailed Courtney Upshaw but alas he wont be there when Giants pick, and I don't see the trade happening. In any case, I've decided to not expend any more mental energy adducing and deducing. It's close enough enough now; I can wait.

Cheers!

ElioverPeyton

Nice write up! I guess you are convinced Osi is gone. Who do you think will trade for him and what do we'll get in return? JR wants a 1st but we all know he won't get that. I can see someone offering a 3rd but not a 2nd.
My Profile Pic reads: "Just Let me know if that Brady kid gives you any More trouble and I'll handle it for you".

jimmyz

Quote from: President Rick on April 23, 2012, 10:48:10 PM
anyone else suspect that JR will go DE at 32 and draft the future OL players in rounds 2-4?

I dont suspect it but i wouldnt be surprised.  We've got a possible situation at DE as Osi and Kiwi both only have one yr left.  Of course JR has openly volunteered the possibility of locking Osi up for another few seasons.  Then again, it could all be a smoke screen expressing his desire to keep Osi in hopes of maximizing his trade value.

JR is generally a straight shooter.  We all thought OSi was a goner two seasons ago when we drafted JPP.  That was as sure a sign for all Giants fans that Osi would be removed from the roster and there was rejoicing on message boards all over the place.  Nevermind JR said he wasnt going to be traded.  But this time could be different.  These are different circumstances.

What does all this mean to those who are capable of reading between the lines?  Nothing.  The tea leaves dont say a thing.  Some 3-4 team will draft Upshaw very early.  Mercilus will go higher than he is worth because pass rushing DEs are premium players though you wouldnt be able to tell based on how eager we are to get rid of one. 

It's going to be ironic if we do make some move for Mercilus.  A one dimensional pass rushing DE who cant play the run.  I myself would like him.  Most of you shouldnt.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."