News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Preview 2012 - Defense

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 13, 2012, 07:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomeee

Quoteanyone else suspect that JR will go DE at 32 and draft the future OL players in rounds 2-4?

Yes, I think JR likes the O guys he has on the roster (hixon, jernigan, barden, ware, pascoe, bennett, beatty, booth, petrus...) and will back fill as you said in rounds 3-4.

DanUK

(Sorry to go off topic here guys)

Ceri, are you watching the draft on NFL.com?

Reason I ask is that I found out today it looks like ESPN America are not showing it on TV here. Really, really annoyed!!

UKGiantsFan

DB Preview

The talent available
There are four top calibre CB

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: DanUK on April 24, 2012, 02:58:02 PM
(Sorry to go off topic here guys)

Ceri, are you watching the draft on NFL.com?

Reason I ask is that I found out today it looks like ESPN America are not showing it on TV here. Really, really annoyed!!

Will try to but more often than not its impossible to get it to work due to heavy traffic on the site. Normally I'll find a place where NFL Network is shown so I can watch that on-line instead.

DanUK

Last year I watched the draft on NFL.com for free - I know they've got a subscription model now so I have bought one month's viewing for

UKGiantsFan

LB Preview

The talent available
I covered most of the top OLB prospects in the DE/Joker preview a coupe of days ago so those in this preview will predominantly be undersized players who project solely to WLB in the 4-3 scheme, a few MLB

MightyGiants

Based on what you said about Hightower, he sounds like a younger version of Kiwi.   If the Giants drafted him, I would want the team to try and trade Kiwi and pick up an extra high pick to meet other team needs (WR, RB, OT and TE)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Chris

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 26, 2012, 08:11:51 AM
Based on what you said about Hightower, he sounds like a younger version of Kiwi.   If the Giants drafted him, I would want the team to try and trade Kiwi and pick up an extra high pick to meet other team needs (WR, RB, OT and TE)

MG, how high of a pick do you think you could get for Kiwi?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Chris on April 26, 2012, 09:22:05 AM
Quote from: MightyGiants on April 26, 2012, 08:11:51 AM

MG, how high of a pick do you think you could get for Kiwi?

Kiwi proved his health is back.  So I am thinking he should fetch a low 2nd rounder high 3rd rounder.   I think Kiwi would be a good fist as the rush backer in a 3-4 defense or an end in a 4-3.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

files58

Why trade a former 1st round pick(32) who knows the system and can play two positions for a talented but UNPROVEN rookie? I would be ok drafting Hightower to add to what we have.

MightyGiants

Quote from: files58 on April 26, 2012, 10:07:44 AM
Why trade a former 1st round pick(32) who knows the system and can play two positions for a talented but UNPROVEN rookie? I would be ok drafting Hightower to add to what we have.

Good question

I don't like that the Giants have two players, Kiwi and Osi both having their contracts expiring after the season.    Drafting a replacement and trading away the player they replace would serve a couple of purposes.

1)  Would reduce the Giants salary cap number
2)  Would eliminate to similar players having contracts coming due at the same time
3) Would give the Giants an extra pick to fill the many areas of need (WR, TE, OT and RB)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Chris

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 26, 2012, 09:27:46 AM
Kiwi proved his health is back.  So I am thinking he should fetch a low 2nd rounder high 3rd rounder.   I think Kiwi would be a good fist as the rush backer in a 3-4 defense or an end in a 4-3.   

I think you may be overrating Kiwi's value, MG. Why would a team give us a high draft pick for a player coming off two major injuries in their walk year? Would you give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Kiwi?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Chris on April 26, 2012, 10:23:41 AM
Quote from: MightyGiants on April 26, 2012, 09:27:46 AM

I think you may be overrating Kiwi's value, MG. Why would a team give us a high draft pick for a player coming off two major injuries in their walk year? Would you give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Kiwi?

That depends Chris.  If I had a good amount of cap space and could lock him up with a 3 or 4 year extension and needed a pass rusher, yes I would.   Before Kiwi got hurt he was playing pure DE and had 4 sacks in 3 games.  I think he is miscast as a SAM in a 4-3.   So if I had the cap room I would be getting a solid pass rusher for the next 4 years for the cost of a 2nd or 3rd round pick.   That would be worth considering. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

vette5573