News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Coverage 2012 - 1st round target list

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 26, 2012, 10:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKGiantsFan

With only the 1st round today waiting 32 picks for the Giants to select will be agonizing and it could be even more so if, with a number of similarly rated players on the board, they get a good offer to trade out of the round altogether whilst they are

MightyGiants

Ceri,

Why would you want Coples if he has desire, maturity and character issues.   That trifecta has all the makings of a bust.  In the NFL you don't reach the QB if you lack desire.   Giving a player lacking in maturity millions of dollars rarely works out well.  Finally why gamble on character issues with a first round pick? 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

President Rick

OT J. Martin is on neither top 7, but mayock had him going to the Giants at 32 last night on his mock.  I doubt DE Curry will be there but if he is, he'd be a logical and fairly safe pick at 32.  I still will not be shocked if there's a trade involving Osi. 
overall, I have:  DE, TE, OL,  in 123,  RB & OL, in 4, and CB, S, WR in 5-6-7. 
too many prospects [and not enough info] for me to name names. 
But your work is great, Ceri.  Thanks.  Go Giants.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 26, 2012, 11:06:45 AM
Ceri,

Why would you want Coples if he has desire, maturity and character issues.   That trifecta has all the makings of a bust.  In the NFL you don't reach the QB if you lack desire.   Giving a player lacking in maturity millions of dollars rarely works out well.  Finally why gamble on character issues with a first round pick?

Coples also just happens to be the most destructive pass rusher in the draft and the sort of player who could become All-Pro if focused on his game. I like to think the Giants have a good coaching staff - they're all teachers who develop talent - and that added to the peer pressure from within the locker room would sort his head out and make him an absolute 'steal' at 32.

Philosophers

Ceri - I am getting the same feeling about Stephen Hill that you are in terms of availability and Giants interest.  With his height and speed and what looks like good character, I can see them agonizing over whether to take him if he's there.  As long as Eli is QB, I think the Giants will always look to provide him with weapons.  My only concern with him is that by playing in a triple option, he may be far behind other players in terms of NFL WR football knowledge.  Since it takes WRs a long time to develop in the NFL, I wonder if it will take him even longer.  When I think of him, I think of Thomas Lewis out of Indiana.  Why we took a WR out of Indiana is beyond me?

files58

If a WR is the selection Jeffrey from South Carolina would be an interesting choice.

todge

Interesting that you don't have Fleener on your list.

Living in CT - I saw every UConn game.  I just don't understand the love affair with Reyes.  He never once dominated a game and frankly was just another DL as far as I am concerned.  I think the team that gets him will perhaps like his average consistency, but if they are expecting great things out of him, they will be disappointed.

XNYrnLA

Thank you Ceri,
As usual your knowledgeable posts are really great to read and think about.
I don't see any realistic possibility of Coples or Reif falling past 20, let alone 32. For the rest my top preference would be Kirkpatrick, who I really think can step in at either corner or safety right away and be great.
"" This team is now 3 players away from being a winning playoff team ""

files58

Can't see how Kirkpatrick falls to us. Isn't he the 2nd or 3rd rated CB?

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: files58 on April 26, 2012, 01:29:09 PM
If a WR is the selection Jeffrey from South Carolina would be an interesting choice.

Wouldn't it just! I think he's terrific but sat on the fence a little with my ranking (33rd overall - I'll put the whole top 100 up later). That's solely because of his junior year and the questions about his work ethic. Put it this way, if he had done the things he did as a sophomore as a junior as well teams wouldn't be looking at him and wondering whether they are gonna get lucky at the top of the 2nd round they'd have been talking about how they could get him in the top 10...