News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who is the Giants greatest RB of all time?

Started by MightyGiants, May 23, 2012, 08:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uni

Quote from: PSUBeirut on May 23, 2012, 12:36:23 PM
As much as his exit has soured all of us, it has to be Tiki Barber.  Has to be.
+1

zephirus

Anyone else sincerely hoping that in a couple years we can answer this with "David Wilson"?

jimv

I'm not zeph.  I just hope Wilson is a good RB.

MightyGiants

I think Tiki (at least in terms of when each was a Giant) was the best RB on the field.  However his negative locker room presence would make me hesitant to take him as my RB. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Uni

I don't think Tiki had that locker room cancer reputation until after he retired. While he was playing, he was a classy, team first guy who was one of Wellington Mara's favorites. He was nowhere near the disruptive influence that Jeremy Shockey was. I don't think he's nearly as bad as he's being portrayed, although he did deserve the scorn for his post Giant career choices. It was just one misstep after another for that guy.

BlueMoshik

Quote from: UniHamachi on May 23, 2012, 04:53:39 PM
I don't think Tiki had that locker room cancer reputation until after he retired. While he was playing, he was a classy, team first guy who was one of Wellington Mara's favorites. He was nowhere near the disruptive influence that Jeremy Shockey was. I don't think he's nearly as bad as he's being portrayed, although he did deserve the scorn for his post Giant career choices. It was just one misstep after another for that guy.

Tiki was a cancer on the team pretty much from the moment Tom Coughlin showed up. The constant public critiques of the coaching? The 2006 farewell tour as the season was going on? Those were anything but classy.

Hooper74

1.Barber
2.Gifford
3.Anderson
4.Hampton
5.Morris

Jaime

I'll cast my vote for Frank Gifford. I'll stand on his overall body of work with the most Rushing & Receiving TD's of any Giant RB.

OJ was a phenomenal RB with the Cards. With us (as mentioned) he was good as a Player & equally good as a Leader.

joeynygiants

three fine backs you forgot, well two play a long time ago, tuffy leamans and eddie price who is the last giant to lead the league in rushing.

the other was ron johnson who play in a 14 game season, twice ran for over 1000 yards.

had 1204 carries for 4308 yards, for a 36 average, and score 40 tds rushing, and 15 with the past.

it is easy to forget these guys for they play years ago.

TONKA56

TONKA56

Funny that no one has even mentioned Ahmad Bradshaw who runs with as much heart, physicality, and determination as anyone.

I love Rodney Hampton too, but I always associate him with some very disappointing seasons with Reeves and the nameless one.  I didn't like the way Jim Fassel unceremoniously ushered him out the door.  I never really cared for Fassel as a result.

Joe Morris was awesome, just awesome..but his star rose and fell in too short a time. 

nb587

Agree with joeynygiants.  Was waiting for the name Ron Johnson  to come up.  He was a fret RB for a short period of years but, if my memory is good, ran behind a woeful offensive line with o passing attack.  But, for owe few years, he was as good as anyone we've ever had.

To the post above re Tiki.  I think he also had a few very special years.  But, he was a cancer in the locker room well before he retired. To his credit, he produced on the field.

Webster29

I really don't have an opinion on who was their greatest RB but I will throw in a couple of thoughts.    Good catch by Joey on Ron Johnson.   This guy gets over looked a lot when the subject of the top Giants RB's comes up.   He played on some very poor Giant teams but he gave them some credibility and respect.   

And I am glad that some of the folks here are giving Gif his due.   Many younger fans would look at his career stats and brush him off but he was so talented.   He was Paul Horning before Paul was.

And as far as OJ Anderson is concerned.   I have said this many times before.   It gets to me that when the subject of players who are not in the HOF but should be he is missing from most peoples lists.  At the time of his retirement he was something like 4th or 5th   in the neighborhood anyway in all time rushing yardage.  But shortly after his retirement several backs flew by him.    But I'd take this guy on my team any day.

jimv

Ron Johnson was the FIRST Giant to rush for 1,000 yards.  The ONLY reason that I didn't pick Gifford for my all-time RB is because, as I said, he played THREE different positions.  And, BTW, Giff was also the "third string" QB.  If necessary he could've played there.  He actually threw the halfback option pass successfully.  IMO, he's the greatest all-time Giant. 

vette5573

Quote from: jimv on May 24, 2012, 12:41:41 AM
Ron Johnson was the FIRST Giant to rush for 1,000 yards.  The ONLY reason that I didn't pick Gifford for my all-time RB is because, as I said, he played THREE different positions.  And, BTW, Giff was also the "third string" QB.  If necessary he could've played there.  He actually threw the halfback option pass successfully.  IMO, he's the greatest all-time Giant. 

Very compelling argument. I would say the greatest all time offensive weapon.