News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who is the Giants greatest RB of all time?

Started by MightyGiants, May 23, 2012, 08:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimv

I get your point, Ed.  And, I agree.  Obviously, LT was the greatest all-time defensive weapon.  But, as far as "once a Giant, always a Giant" goes, Frank epitomizes that statement.

Shoelessjoe

Quote from: jimv on May 24, 2012, 12:41:41 AM
Ron Johnson was the FIRST Giant to rush for 1,000 yards.  The ONLY reason that I didn't pick Gifford for my all-time RB is because, as I said, he played THREE different positions.  And, BTW, Giff was also the "third string" QB.  If necessary he could've played there.  He actually threw the halfback option pass successfully.  IMO, he's the greatest all-time Giant.

Jim, you could also add that he made the pro bowl at all three of those positions.  What about Eugene O. "Choo-Choo" Roberts who at the time in 1950 set a league record and held the Giant record until Barber broke it and Alphonse "Tuffy" Emil Leemans who was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1978.  Where is Lenn when you need him.

CoachS

I'm not suggesting he's the best Giant running back ever, probebly not even in the top 5 or 6. But does anyone else out there think that the name Rob Carpenter should show up somewhere in this thread?

MightyGiants

Quote from: CoachS on May 24, 2012, 03:59:06 PM
I'm not suggesting he's the best Giant running back ever, probebly not even in the top 5 or 6. But does anyone else out there think that the name Rob Carpenter should show up somewhere in this thread?

One of the last of the rushing fullbacks.  Thanks for that blast from the past
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimv

Frank, I already said that Giff made All-Pro at all three positions.

Jian

Ya I loved Ron Johnson too. All heart. Not much other talent or heart on the team for most of his time playing  aka the dark years ...... Amazing to realize how good he would've been with a solid team around him. Many thanks to George Young for bringing the NY Giants out of their Dark Ages

gregf

Quote from: CoachS on May 24, 2012, 03:59:06 PM
Thanks coach!  My first few years as a fan was watching Carpenter mash into the defense for 5 yards every time with his shirt hanging out lookong all haggard. He was the only offense ( we didnt even have a Chris Calloway yet.
I also loved watching Hampton play, tough runner.
If not for the fumbles and ego, Tiki by a longshot

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jian on May 25, 2012, 08:48:08 PM
Ya I loved Ron Johnson too. All heart. Not much other talent or heart on the team for most of his time playing  aka the dark years ...... Amazing to realize how good he would've been with a solid team around him. Many thanks to George Young for bringing the NY Giants out of their Dark Ages

Sort of like Hampton?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

king of the bronx

I don't care what Tiki Barber said about Eli Manning or anyone else, he is my choice hands down. I have been a Giant fan since Mel Triplett, Alex Webster, and Frank Gifford were the running backs. Tiki and Gifford were the two most complete backs in Giant history.  :ok: :ok: :ok:
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Painter

You got that right, king of the bronx.

Cheers!

LennG

Since most on the board never saw Gifford play, stats just do not do this man justice. With the ball in his arms, he was a glider all over the field. Why does a power back need to get all the votes. My vote goes for Gifford.

And, since we are reminiscing, and the big "WHAT IF' words have been spoken, let's talk the best of the Baby Bulls, Mr Tucker Fredrickson. Gosh, how great would he have been if not for the injuries that took his career away.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

I SAW Gifford play!!!  And, everything you said it correct Lenny!!  He'd the "GREATEST Giant," period.  As I said, he was an All-Star at THREE positions.

Oh boy, Tucker Fredickson, what a runner!

jimv

More on Giff...  He played in a "full backfield" of
                                                    QB - Chuckin' Charlie
                        HB - Giff                                                      HB - Big Red
                                                    FB - Mel Triplett
WOW!!

And, Giff could throw the HB option pass very well.  I don't know how many TDs he threw.  But, he did get some.

king of the bronx

You have it backwards Big Red was the full back and Triplett was the half back, and a little later they had Bobby Gaiters, I seen them all.They would practice at Fordham University, which was one block from my school we would go watch them, and at night they would use our school for class room study. They would come and play basketball with us all the time, I remember Roosevelt Brown asking me for the ball to take a shot, and he threw it at the basket like a baseball, I had never seen any human being with arms that huge in my life.  :scared: :scared: :scared:
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.