News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who is the Giants greatest RB of all time?

Started by MightyGiants, May 23, 2012, 08:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Marys

For me, memory fades as my mind remembers the more recent guys.  Great players, all.  But for me there was few things sweeter than seeing Barber in 2005 and 2006 evade a tackle and hit the open field.  Complete sh1t off the park, a dream on it.  When I think of Little Joe I remember the 49ers Play Off game in '85 and him streaking upfield and me putting on the strobe effect on our new TV.  Memories.

jimv

Sorry, king, you may have watched them line up at practice at Fordham, but Triplett was the FB.  I was able to watch most of their games in '56 on TV down in Tampa FL.  Then I watched 58, 59 & 60 back home in NY.  And, Triplett lined up at FB & Big Red at HB.  I think I remember Big Red playing some FB after Triplett left after the '60 season.  That's probably beacuse Bobby Gaiters was new in '61 (the year Giff didn't play).  But Gaiters only lasted tywo years.

Suburbanites II

The greatest RB in Giants history is also the most disliked player in Giants history, I don't even need to type his name.

king of the bronx

Jimv I sat in the stands in yankee Stadium and watched them play many, many times as a kid. I did not only watch them practice. 8)) 8)) 8))
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

jimv

OK, king.  But, Triplett was the FB through 1960.  In the list of all Giant players, Mel Triplett is listed as "FB."

vette5573

Didn't the FB in those days get more involved in running the ball? Nowadays they mostly block for the RB and some pass catching.

Painter

Yes, indeed the fullback was a ball carrier- often the major one- back in the day. There were three backs behind the Quarterback who was "under the Center" in the T formation. They crossed the T which is where it is got its name. The guy in the middle might be a half to a full step deeper than the other two which is why he was called, Fullback; the others were called, Halfbacks. In those days, Mel Triplett was the fullback, Gifford and Webster, the halfbacks. Chuckin' Charlie Connery was the QB, the Giants first ever T formation Quarterback. But even before then Connerly's FBs included Gene "Choo Choo" Roberts and Eddie Price with Joe Scott, and Skippy Minisi, and Kyle Rote as the Halfbacks.

Before the Charlie Connerly era began, the Giants played the Steve Owen's "A formation" which was a variation the single wing. Paul Governali was the Wingback; Ken Strong was the Fullback, Joe Sulaitis the Blocking Back, and Howie Livingston was Tailback.

Cheers!

jimv

YES, Ed, they did get more involved in the running.  That was still going on through the time that Rob Carpenter was our FB.  It's only starting with Maurice Carthon that I can remember the FB becoming more or less a full-time blocker.

jimv

Terrific post on the late 40s & early 50s, Painter!!  Thanks for reminding me of Minisi & Joe Scott.  But, I don't remember Howie Livingston.  But, I looked him up & found that he played from '44 to '47.  My rooting interest in the Giants only started in '46, so it was easy for me to forget him.  Governali had only two years on the Gaints & was basically finished when Charlie showed up.  Conerly began as Wingback in the A formation.  I don't exactly remember when they put Conerly under center as a QB.  But, I think it was '49 or '50.  Can you remember, Painter?  Or, how 'bout you, Fladan?

BTW, the biggest thing I remember about Governali was his pass for a TD to Bill Swiacki when Columbia upset that great Army team in '46.  Swiacki played three years for the Jints, outlasting Governali.

BTW, I was a HUGE fan of Roberts & Eddie Price!

Webster29

I bit off topic I know but bringing up Mel Triplett made me think of Lew Alcindor/Kareem Abdul Jabbar.  Through out his career he wore number 33.  The reason was his favorite football player as kid growing up was number 33, Giant fb Mel Triplett.

Painter

The switch to the T Formation was 1949, jimv.  As for the other date, Columbia ended Army's 32 game winning streak in October 1947. I was at that game with my mom who was a huge fan of Lou Little's Lions, and the reason Columbia later became my alma mater. What she didn't know at the time was that I was rooting for Army. In any case, it wasn't Pitchin' Paul Governali but Gene Rossides who threw the famous pass to Bill Swiaki who caught it with his finger tips to cut the score to 20-14. He made another 4th Quarter catch on the Army 3 yard line after which Lou Kusserow ran it in to make the final score 21-20. Rossides and Kusserow were known as the Gold Dust Twins.

Cheers!

jimv

Thanks for the correction, Painter!  As soon as I wrote that, I thought, "Oh, oh!  Army was undefeated in '46 with only the 0-0 tie with ND as a blemish.  And, thanks for '49.  As I said, I thought it was either '49 or '50.

vstaj(grizz)

Ahhh, if only we'd seen what Tucker Frederickson could have done. 

Interesting note...Tucker's High School graduation year.....the All American High School team....  Dick Butkus FB, Gayle Sayles and Tucker at half back (it was still based on the Full House) and a guy name Joe at QB.   That would be Namath.

Tucker, Gayle and Namath's years all compromised by Knee injuries that could be fixed today.

McGIANTS

For me, I never saw Gifford play except for highlight reels. He was way before my time. I remember Morris - vaguely. Same goes for OJ. I don't really remember Hampton, oddly enough, but that's probably because he played on some poor teams. Tiki is probably the freshest in my mind and like others have said, his off the field antics and the way he left the team left a bad taste in my mouth. However, when he played it was hard to not root for him. If I had to pick the best though, it's hard to say but both OJ and Morris were favorites of mine, yet I agree that Tiki was an all around player. I'd probably, on a very slight margin, go with Tiki. I can't really stand him now though.

MightyGiants

Quote from: McGIANTS on May 30, 2012, 09:00:21 AM
For me, I never saw Gifford play except for highlight reels. He was way before my time. I remember Morris - vaguely. Same goes for OJ. I don't really remember Hampton, oddly enough, but that's probably because he played on some poor teams. Tiki is probably the freshest in my mind and like others have said, his off the field antics and the way he left the team left a bad taste in my mouth. However, when he played it was hard to not root for him. If I had to pick the best though, it's hard to say but both OJ and Morris were favorites of mine, yet I agree that Tiki was an all around player. I'd probably, on a very slight margin, go with Tiki. I can't really stand him now though.

Is that Weatherford in your avatar?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE