News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: Who do you believe was the Greatest US President?

Started by vette5573, June 01, 2012, 08:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregf

I read about that, but didnt see the series. Whats it called?

Chris

Quote from: gregf on June 01, 2012, 06:15:54 PM

Greg, it was called - aptly - John Adams. It was on HBO, starring Paul Giamatti. Excellent!

I would say greatest and my favorite would be Washington. If anyone is interested, His Excellency is a recommended read.

Greatest in my lifetime - kind of like the tallest midget - would be Clinton.

joeynygiants

Lincolin because he keep the union together.

Wilson has to be second for he was right, if the league of nation has made after the 1st world war, the second world war maybe wouldn't have happen.

fdr = he was truly remarkable for he was disable and did a whale of a job.

ronald reagan - he help shut down the soviet union.

truman - he have to follow fdr and had to drop the bomb, but it did save millions of us lives, just it was a terrible weapon.

bldevil

Quote from: Chris on June 01, 2012, 06:37:33 PM
Quote from: gregf on June 01, 2012, 06:15:54 PM

Greg, it was called - aptly - John Adams. It was on HBO, starring Paul Giamatti. Excellent!

I would say greatest and my favorite would be Washington. If anyone is interested, His Excellency is a recommended read.

Greatest in my lifetime - kind of like the tallest midget - would be Clinton.
Thumbs up on that series.  There's a great scence in which we see Ben Franklin playing chess in a bathtub in France.  (He's not alone, of course.)
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

ElioverPeyton

So what does everyone think of our current president?

I'll go first.....has to be the worst in history!!!
My Profile Pic reads: "Just Let me know if that Brady kid gives you any More trouble and I'll handle it for you".

Chris

Quote from: ElioverPeyton on June 01, 2012, 07:05:57 PM

And there it is.

Can a lockdown be far behind?

It's probably not a bad idea.

murderhill

QuoteRather than correct you on the many errors and conclusions you incorrectly (IMHO) come to I 'll ask you just this:

Assuming you voted for Obama (and If I'm wrong I'll stand corrected),  you state that Reagan, as a former successful two-term Governor of the largest state in the nation was "unqualified" to be president.

How can your community organizer who has never run anything, never met a payroll, never been responsible for the safety of others be more qualified to be president than Reagan?

Answer: He can't.  And you are seeing the results.

JJM
Voted for Obama?  I admit it

LennG

Let's keep current politics out of this.

Some one mentioned Jefferson. Was he that good of a president. Yes, he was a great American, but didn't he do most of his grandeur things before he became president??> What did he do as president to have such a high rating to some??

Also some one mentioned Ike. Now there is a name that hardly gets any credit, but overall, he was a great president. He establish our nation of interstate highways, all over the country. Fact about the interstates. When Ike went ahead with this project, he had it mandatory that for every 3 miles of interstate, one of those miles had to be a completely straight road, NO MATTER what or where. The reasoning behind that was that if we were ever attacked, all planes would have a place to land every 3 miles because there would be a mile of straight road.

I would also give a big holler for Truman. He may never go down as a great president, but to me he was just that. His decision the drop the A Bomb saved maybe a million American lives on the battlefield and started what we now know as the Atomic Age. If he didn't have the guts to do what he did, the entire world might be a different place today--  good or bad
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ElioverPeyton

Quote from: Chris on June 01, 2012, 07:12:04 PM

And there it is.

Can a lockdown be far behind?

It's probably not a bad idea.

Wow! This coming from someone who says G. Washington is his favorite president!

Because I don't like our current president you think it's a good idea to silence someone?  :boooo:  What happened to Freedom of Speech!?!?!

You sound alot like this HS teacher from NC!

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/05/20/NC-teacher-screams-student-Obama
My Profile Pic reads: "Just Let me know if that Brady kid gives you any More trouble and I'll handle it for you".

JimboWHO

+ (a big number)

JJM

Chris

Quote from: ElioverPeyton on June 01, 2012, 09:19:01 PM
Wow! This coming from someone who says G. Washington is his favorite president!

Because I don't like our current president you think it's a good idea to silence someone?  :boooo:  What happened to Freedom of Speech!?!?!

You sound alot like this HS teacher from NC!

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/05/20/NC-teacher-screams-student-Obama

Who's supressing your freedom of speech? You already said you don't like Obama. I didn't report your post as offensive or push to delete it. You have every right to feel however you feel. You have no idea what side of the fence I'm on and I would prefer to keep it that way.

My issue with your post was that with threads like this it invariably degenerates into something that no one intended. The thread wasn't about Greatest and Worst Presidents but it always seems to go there. And it's only downhill from that point. That's what I was commenting on.

That said, I shouldn't have commented on your post at all and for that I apologize.

jimv

Lenny, I'll give ONE achievement that Jefferson had as President - THE LOUISIANA PURCHASE!

Ike's Interstate Highway system was actually built for the fast movement of military vehicles.  When the law was passed, it said the the military had first claim on the system.  I don't know if that's been rescinded or not.  If not, in a time of national emergency, I think the military could just claim the use for themselves.  I served my four years of active USAF duty during Ike's time as president.  I was stationed on a SAC base & we were knee deep in the Cold War.

Jian

And if my memory serves T. Jefferson was the president that authorized Lewis & Clark for their expedition. Once you left the colonies you were in the wild. We're talking Ohio & Kentucky as the wilderness at that time .... That was someting that required foresight, and thought. No doubt he was a great American. As a great president he's 3rd or 4th on my list. ..... Of course, one of the colonies major nemesis at that time, was Tecumseh. Also a true American, no doubt a man among men. Back when most white men could not read, he could. During the French and Indian Wars, G. Washington was a Colonel. Tecumseh became a General in the British Army. To the best on my knowledge Tecumseh was the ONLY non Brit to attain the rank of General. What does that say about Americans ......(Dun bother me, I'm still decidin)

PS even though I choose to live up North I'm a born and raised American ....

[qu ote author=jimv link=topic=21377.msg245792#msg245792 date=1338609407]
Lenny, I'll give ONE achievement that Jefferson had as President - THE LOUISIANA PURCHASE!

Ike's Interstate Highway system was actually built for the fast movement of military vehicles.  When the law was passed, it said the the military had first claim on the system.  I don't know if that's been rescinded or not.  If not, in a time of national emergency, I think the military could just claim the use for themselves.  I served my four years of active USAF duty during Ike's time as president.  I was stationed on a SAC base & we were knee deep in the Cold War.
[/quote]

AZGiantFan

Quote from: gregf on June 01, 2012, 05:56:40 PM
I worked with my son on a Adams report. He wrote the Massachussettes constitution which became a template for our current one 236 years later(even though Jefferson gets most of the credit).

Jefferson had nothing to do with the writing of the Constitution.  He wasn't even in the country at the time of the Constitutional Convention - he was ambassador to France at the time and was in Paris.  And when he got back he wasn't very happy with it.  You are confusing the Constitution with the Declaration of Independence.  If anyone can be said to have been the author of the Constitution it would be James Madison, with its philosophical father being the English philosopher Edmund Burke.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

babywhales

Jefferson created United States Military Academy at West Point
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S