News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jeter

Started by Webster29, August 17, 2012, 07:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Webster29

I was going to post something when he did it but didn't get around to it.   Congrats to DJ on becoming only the 2nd player in major league history to put together 17 consecutive seasons with at least 150 hits.   Hank Aaron being the other one.    Pretty good company I would say.

Giant Obsession

People who know I am a big Yankees fan always ask me could jeter get the hit record from Rose.  I set down and do the math and then I look at his advancing age...and can he keep up the pace he has set this year....and I doubt it.

But then, I just throw  all the math out and figure wait and see.
Jeter is just a SPECIAL player, yes he is that special.
I am saddened by the thought that his career will ever end.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

joeynygiants

to me jeter may hit close to 4000, for he is now 38, and will have to play three or four more years to hit it.

but being the only yankee ever to hit 3000, that alone speaks for itself.

Webster29

Quote from: Giant Obsession on August 18, 2012, 07:55:39 PM
People who I am a big Yankees fan always ask me could jeter get the hit record from Rose.  I set down and do the math and then I look at his advancing age...and can he keep up the pace he has set this year....and I doubt it.

But then, I just throw  all the math out and figure wait and see.
Jeter is just a SPECIAL player, yes he is that special.
I am saddened by the thought that his career will ever end.

GO:   Thats the way I look at him.    As you say the math isn't there but with Jeter who knows.   If he can stay healthy it wouldn't surprise me if he at least gave it a pretty good push.    Time will tell.

babywhales

An article I read yeterday on the subject. 
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/sports/baseball/derek-jeter-keeps-closing-in-on-pete-roses-hits-record.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Like Rose, Jeter would have to be the 2nd person in history to get a 1000 hits after the age of 38. 

Although improbable it is possible and he is jus thte guy to do it.
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Sem

The man is amazing.
A couple weeks ago when he doubled, that gave him 150 hits for the season and tied Hank Aaron as the only players in MLB history with 150+ hits in 17 consecutive seasons.
He had 4 more hits last night, and is now hitting .326 this year. 3rd in BA in the AL, 6th in BA in the ML, and most hits in the ML this season.
He currently has 167 hits this year, 5 more than all of last year, and 3255 for his career.
He's on pace to exceed 200 hits for the season, if he does he'll move past Willie Mays on the all-time hit list.
He's 38 years old.
Slowing down?

Grime Time

Shoot,  his performance off the field is almost as impressive.   Have you seen his other hit list?   He's the only Yankee I can stomach.
Get busy livin ,  or get busy dying.

Webster29

Quote from: Grime Time on August 22, 2012, 04:15:10 PM
Shoot,  his performance off the field is almost as impressive.   Have you seen his other hit list?   He's the only Yankee I can stomach.

GT:   Well said.   One of the guys I work with is a huge Red Sox fan and he of course hates the Yankees.  But he has never said a bad word about Jeter.