News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The TRADE that nauseated me then and SICKENS me now

Started by Giant Obsession, August 22, 2012, 10:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

And the reason I would never let Brian Cashman do anything but pickup fillin players (which he is surprisingly good at).

3 years ago....basically the Yankees gave up AUSTIN JACKSON (22 at the time and the jewel of the farm system), phil Coke (a pedestrian LH relief pitcher, serviceable at worst) and IAN KENNEDY (24 at the time, a 1st round pick and another pitcher we fast tracked the same time as Joba, got frustrated when his initial success didn't last and then banished to the mnors until the trade).

We got Curtis Granderson....period.

I am not going to spout out stats, you can click and see beside each players name.

First GRANDERSON http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7455  .....a very educated, well spoken CF who is an asset defensively in what at times has been a very challenged outfield (especially since we gave away Melky Cabrera, a defensive demon and clutch hitter who blossomed these last 2 years).  Curtis is a Strikeout king at the plate.  Yes, he does hit with power, and he hits with power against lefties, but he is a basic .240-.250 hitter, who this year will strikeout about 200 times.  UGHH.

Compare to AUSTIN JACKSON   http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8412  who is basically 6-7 years younger.  On his worst day he is the equal of Granderson defensively.  Offensively, you can see the difference.
What in the world was the rush to get Granderson when the jewel of your farm system was major league ready.  Yes, he has had a few growing pains, but look at the numbers. they are growing and who knows what the ceiling is.  granderson is basically same old, same old as he was in Detroit.  Why do you invest in drafting and grooming a player through the minors and ditch him at the very moment his time has seemingly arrived.

Now, as if straight up, that is not a bad enough trade, lets talk IAN KENNEDY  http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8099   Fast tracked with Joba in 2007, he was entertainingly effective enough that the Yankees slotted him as their Number 5 starter in 2008.  They jumped him 2 levels of the minor leagues basically.  Then he started abysmally, and was relegated to the minors and ignored.  Then in 2009 he was bought up in August, pitched 1 very effective 8th inning to bridge a big win against the Angels, and was shuttled back down.  Thank you very much Ian. 
And since the off season trade that year where he landed in Arizona, he is 41-24, including a 21-4 record last year.
I am not even going to bring up Phil Coke, because he is the kind of lefty reliever that hangs around baseball and pitches into his early 40's.  We have one now in Repada, and they always seem to be available.

I am stunned we never gave away Derek Jeter, but thank God Cashman was not in power at that time.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

mountaincuse

There have been many pitchers over the years I wish we kept but it is what it is.  Moat pitchers are better in the NL.

Players have up years and down years - last year Curtis was a MVP candidate but he's slumping a bit now.

4 World Series.

Giant Obsession

I thoroughly agree we have given away too many pitchers over the years.

Granderson to me is nothing but an Adam Dunn type who hits 40 points higher.

I guess i should preface all of this with the Steinbrenner's edict of not paying an "over the salary cap fine" after this year.  Roughly 37 million is going to have to come off this payroll, and Cano's contract is coming up.

I really thought with the "core four" success of the 90's the Yankees were finally done with stupid trades of their youth for 30 year old "decent" players...i.e. Jay Buhner for Phelps.

Short of jettisoning AROID (and they ain't NO GM that stupid), this system is going to have to produce.  I keep praying Miami might take Rodriguez if we pony up half his salary (32 million).  We had the perfect out 4 years ago when AROID optioned out of his Yankee contract and we go and pay him even more.  He is no Jeter, he is NOT special.  he is old, breaking down, getting older, and not producing when he is healthy.  His career is going exactly the same as Ken Griffey, Jr. 
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Webster29

As I was reading this thread I had a flashback of the Seinfeld episode where Steinbrenner was yelling Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps.

And of course GO brings up that trade.     Brought a smile to my face.   At least I got something out of that trade.

Grime Time

You're the Yankees.   Just buy another pitcher.  Who was the last person that actually was brought up and stayed for awhile?  Jeter?  You don't need a farm system when you just buy everyone else's players. 
Get busy livin ,  or get busy dying.

babywhales

Quote from: Grime Time on August 23, 2012, 11:15:06 AM
You're the Yankees.   Just buy another pitcher.  Who was the last person that actually was brought up and stayed for awhile?  Jeter?  You don't need a farm system when you just buy everyone else's players.

While I get your point the yankees have done well with bringing up their own too
as seen in Jeter, Rivera, Posada, Andy, and Cano.....
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Sem

Quote from: babywhales on August 23, 2012, 11:28:34 AM
While I get your point the yankees have done well with bringing up their own too
as seen in Jeter, Rivera, Posada, Andy...
Agreed. This was mentioned months ago, maybe longer, regarding "the core four" - four players who played together on the same team longer than any other (four?) players on any other team in professional sports.....ever.