News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Odd baseball stat

Started by Webster29, September 25, 2012, 02:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Webster29

The Yankees beat the Twins Monday night while Baltimore split a DH with Toronto extending the Yankees lead to 1 1/2 games over the birds.  This was the first time since Sept 2 that they had a lead larger then 1 game. This was the 2nd longest streak in baseball history where a team had a 1 game or less lead over another team.   The longest streak was in 1897.   

bighitterdalama

Bill,

I am surprised. If you had put this up as a question, I would have guessed either National League August/September 1965, where the Pirates, Giants and Dodgers went toe to toe for about two months, or American League East September 1974, with the Orioles and Yankees. The Yankees were eliminated on the next to last game of the season; Doc Medich then threw a no hitter in the final game.

Big Hitter

Giant Obsession

Quote from: bighitterdalama on September 25, 2012, 09:17:20 AM
Bill,

I am surprised. If you had put this up as a question, I would have guessed either National League August/September 1965, where the Pirates, Giants and Dodgers went toe to toe for about two months, or American League East September 1974, with the Orioles and Yankees. The Yankees were eliminated on the next to last game of the season; Doc Medich then threw a no hitter in the final game.

Big Hitter

i was in college that season and it was the first real taste of pennant fever yankee fans had sniffed in a long time.

Medich actually lost the next to the last game that year, pitching a complete game that Yanks lost in the 10 th in Milwaukee.

Pat Dobson and sparky Lyle won the meaningless closer and we finished 2 games behind the hated Orioles with 89 wins. 

That was George's first season as owner and the Yanks wheeled and dealed all year.  Shipped out Horace Clarke to San Diego, Mel Stottelmyre tore his rotator cuff before anyone even knew what that was, Pat Dobson and Sudden Sam McDowell were bought in for pitching depth, Eliot Maddox hit .303 as our new CF.  it was a fun year, and told Yankee fans that George wanted to win.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon