News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Preview 2013 - DEFENSE

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 12, 2013, 05:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKGiantsFan

The talent available
While there are plenty of good players available I

DesG89

OK. NOW the countdown to the draft has officially begun. As always Ceri, year after year yous positional previews don'tdisappoint.

I see you're as big a fan of Hankins as I am. The consenus of most fans on different boards is for Sheldon Richarsson. For me it's a tie between Hankins and Jesse Williams if we go DT in the 1st(in a trade down, not at 19). Personally I've always been skeptical 3-techs who are supposed to be pass rushing demons. I'd rather have a plugger to pair with Joseph and be insurance in case he's not re-signed. Is it safe to assume that since you didn't mention Jenkins' linemate Kwame Geathers that you don't think much of him?

UKGiantsFan

MightyGiants

Great stuff, I will have comments a bit later when I have time to properly post.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Assuming the Giants have given up on Austin, I would love to see a guy like Josh Boyd picked up in the 4th or 5th round
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

worf49

MightyGiants  if the idea going into the draft is to get better as a run stopping defense, the Giants would do well to forget Austin.
I doubt seriously that Austin factors into our plans in any major way.

Ceri nice job!  I hope we get a couple DT's who can help us immediately.

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 13, 2013, 10:28:58 AM
Assuming the Giants have given up on Austin, I would love to see a guy like Josh Boyd picked up in the 4th or 5th round

Do you think they would give up on a 2nd rounder after 2 years?  Although he has not showed any sign of stepping up it seems too soon for them to give up.

Jaime

Ceri, superb DT Prospect analysis there. You sold me! Doesn't appear to be a fit for us for the first two days. I didn't think we were interested in a DT with all the signings of late.

Philosophers

I completely agree with you Ceri that we have the Under Tackle position set but can use a run stuffing nose tackle.  I'd be thrilled if we got either Jesse Williams or John Jenkins in say the 2nd round, but I doubt either will be there when we pick.  Maybe.  If we did that in round 2 and were lucky to have a top flight DE, CB or LB to fall to us in round 1, I'd be thrilled with that as a round 1-2 combo.  Think we need help on D, but also feel that OL is a great need.  IF we went OL in round 1 and got one of those DTs in round 2, I'd also be happy as well. 

UKGiantsFan

The talent available
As usual there is a some top end talent with depth lasting into the third day of the draft. It is likely to produce future starters fitting into all kinds of defensive schemes and have different players appealing to different teams for different reasons. I have one ranked in my top 10, two more in my top 20, one in the late 1st round and three in the 2nd round.

What do I think the Giants should do?
Osi Umenyiora is gone and Justin Tuck got banged up and regressed again really only showing up for his annual obliteration of the 49ers. To make matters worse the Giants kept putting their best DE Jason Pierre-Paul on the inside of the NASCAR package making it easy to opponents to double team him with two linemen. JPP also came to camp overweight and never took advantage of his one-on-one opportunities outside in the same way he had previously. Depth is non-existent - none of Adrian Tracy, Justin Trattou, Adewale Ojomo are worthy of a roster spot let alone place in the rotation.

With Tuck in the final year of his contract and his durability an issue the Giants have three options: 1) Draft a DE high they believe can contribute immediately; 2) move starting SLB Matthias Kiwanuka up full-time to the line to play the position he was actually drafted for; 3) do both and hope like hell they can back-fill the hole created at SLB.

The Giants have a

nyg804

I agree but don't count ojomo who was a rookie last year or Tracy who should convert to lb out they have good upside

MightyGiants

There are some concerns that Ezekial Ansah may be older than he claims, so he may drop.  If he does drop I have to think Reese takes a long hard look.    Otherwise the only one in this class that really looks like a Reese type of DE is Corey Lemonier,   In the scheme of things what's the point of sending a guy running a 4.8+ or 4.9+ after a QB who runs a 4.4 or 4.5?   You simple are asking for highlight reel type plays from the QB.  These new quick athletic QBs need to be countered by DEs who are nearly as quick.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DanUK

Chris

Ceri, these writeups - as always - are phenomenal. Thanks so much for taking the time to share them with us.

Like you, I am somewhat intrigued by Damontre Moore. Do you think it's possible he could be sitting there in the second round when we pick? I'd grab him in a second at that spot.

Jaime

Ceri, again a stellar job Bro. I feel so spoiled in that I don't have to sift through the paper blizzard of the media. I only have to read you for the skinny. Well, looks like you and I are at different ends of the spectrum regarding Margus Hunt. I have Hunt in my Mock as our round two number 49th overall selection. Confident we can coach him up, and turn him into a player.
Werner is a popular mock choice around here. But I feel about him, the way you feel about Hunt.
Totally believe that JR will select a DE @ some point. As usual, when and who is anybody's guess?