News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Preview - Offense

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 14, 2013, 05:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKGiantsFan

The talent available
It

DesG89

No better way to spend an early Sunday morning than reading a positional preview and then the morning paper. I remember a line from your Senior Bowl preview where you pretty much said Reese needed to stop dicking around with the OL and get serious about protecting our franchise player. It put a smile on my face because I so want to see a return of the dominance this OL had in 08 and 09.

Unless we do a slight trade up I don't see Warmack or Cooper dropping to us.

I love Warford's size and power, but I agree he doesn't fit what we do offensively (though I still wouldn't mind him in the 2nd). He's like a a stronger, nastier Ron Stone.

Again we are of like minds. I've loved Barrett Jones since I 1st noticed him at LG (or was it LT?) when they absolutely embarrassed Texas for the national championship a few years back. He's the personification of a TC Giants lineman. Only question is will he make to our 3rd round pick?

UKGiantsFan

The talent available
Not a good year for RB

Painter

No one does it better than you, Ceri. Not only are the analyses enlightening but the form and content are a  the model pre-Draft reference.

In your OT review, I'll be interested in your assessment of Kevin Pugh as a potential OLG and emergency OLT, and Kyle Long as an OLT/OLG prospect.  As we all know, no team has valued and exploited versatility in their Olinemen more than Our Heroes. They have mined a lot of value from multipositional players like Dave Diehl and Kevin Boothe. But they were 5th and 6th Round picks, respectively. Pugh and Long wont last that long; certainly not past the 3rd Round.   

Much obliged.

Cheers!

bamagiantfan

DesG, I think one of the story lines for the Giants that is worth watching in this draft is the Dallas Cowboys' selections. They pick just in front of the Giants and their primary needs would appear to be DT, Center, Guard, and Safety. They could heavily influence the Giants selections. If you believe like most of the experts do that only one of the two top rated OGs will be there when Dallas selects, I think Dallas will take him (Warmack or Cooper). That could very well be the top guy on the Giants' board. If there is still one of the DTs available, there is no way he slides past Dallas, meaning they will be looking for OG/C or Safety in Round 2. If none of the DTs or OGs are there, I think they take a long look at Kenny Vaccaro, S, again potentially influencing the Giants' selection.

I could see this going on for two or three rounds as guys like Eric Reid or Barrett Jones are sitting there when Dallas selects. My hope is that Dallas, who has a penchant for skill players in the early rounds, will select another RB to go with the oft injured pair they have now. If they don't, and the Giants make any move at all in the draft, it wouldn't surprise me to see them trade up two to three spots with Pittsburgh or St. Louis to jump ahead of Dallas in the second or third rounds.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

MightyGiants

There has been some debate about drafting a guard at 19.   I was listening to Gil Brandt yesterday morning and he addressed the idea of drafting guards early.   His point was how much would one of the top guards (Cooper or Warmack) change a game as opposed to one of the guards you could draft a little later.  Would they be game changers?   That was an interesting way to look at it and after reading Ceri's write up I am not sure I see a big enough difference between the big two and the Giants prototypes. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DesG89

No love for Marcus Lattimore? As someone to stash on IR this year and then see what he is in 2014? Or do you think his knee injury makes him too much of a risk?

Painter

That is an excellent point; I'm glad you added it to the discussion, Rich.  Team's draft boards are layered; they are not just vertical but lateral as well. They will refelect player value, position value, and priority. And as I understand it, some teams color-code board entries in the the first two or three rounds to reflect what they view as higher value combinations.

Where the priority for the OG position is high enough, as many here feel it is for the Giants, it would be hard to argue that Warmack or Cooper wouldn't represent excellent value at 19. It might also be true that an available DE, OT, LB, or DB would be of no greater value; maybe lesser on a vertical scale. But, not only would priority be a factor, but also the ability to match the pick at 19 to the one at 49 in the effort to maximize value. Thus a combo with an OG at 49 with a DE or DB at 19 might tally highest in perceived value

Cheers!     

bamagiantfan

Yes Rich, and we've talked around that topic a bit here in recent weeks but didn't get straight to the point as you have. I think a Guard or ORT is on the Giants list of wants in this draft. I just don't believe they will use a first round pick on one in this draft. For example, lets look at the linemen coming out from Alabama. Would anyone really care if we had Barrett Jones or Warmack starting for the next 5 years? Barrett Jones or Fluker at ORT - same question? Each are projected as step in and start guys coached by former NFL coaches at Alabama under Nick Saban. I wouldn't care which one they drafted. They all could do the job well, possibly with no discernible difference. So why take Warmack or Fluker in Round 1 when you should be able to get a Jones in Round 2, or perhaps even Round 3!?

Even if the Giants consider ORT or LB as their highest needs going into this draft (which I don't believe they do), I still think they would pass on them in Round 1. There are DEs, DTs, and some would argue DBs in Round 1 that you just can't get in Round 2 or later. You have to look at those latter positions harder in Round 1, and the Giants always have.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

bamagiantfan

My brother told me about an article he read where Weatherford was being interviewed. I think most know the Giants punter is also a workout freak who has appeared shirtless on the cover of GQ. Apparently Hynoski has been working out with him to improve both his strength and speed in hopes of getting more snaps and maybe even some carries. Weatherford was very impressed with the progress Hynoski was making and said something in the interview like, "wait until the coaches get a load of this guy this summer."

I think it is a long shot to expect much more out of Hynoski than he has given so far. I just thought I'd throw that out there. If nothing else it has made me curious.

MightyGiants

With so many needs, Miguel Maysonet later in the draft might be the best choice
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Without an immediate need for an interior lineman, Barrett Jones in the 2nd round might be the best choice.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: DesG89 on April 14, 2013, 10:04:26 AM
No love for Marcus Lattimore? As someone to stash on IR this year and then see what he is in 2014? Or do you think his knee injury makes him too much of a risk?

Sadly I think he'll have a short, painful career. I loved him from his first game as a true freshman when he looked NFL ready on his debut but he's blown out both ACL's the past two years. He's a terrific player.

You know just how good a person he is from the fact Steve Spurrier was almost in tears in the press conference after Lattimore  suffered what I would have to say was the most gruesome leg injury I've ever seen that didn't include a broken bone. Not like Spurrier to be emotional... Seemingly based on his receiving cheers for doing virtually nothing at his Pro Day the NFL concurs with Spurrier.  I really hope he returns but I won't bank on it.

uconnjack8

If Cooper or Warmack fall that far it will certainly be interesting from a fan perspective.  We would gain a lot of insight on how JR and company value positions (assuming he has those two guys rated as high as others). 

I think Brandt's comments bring out the reason both these guys could fall.  We regularly see teams reach at the LT position in the 1st round but not at guard.  If you believe either of those guys are going to be a dominant perennial pro-bowl type player I think you take them at 19.  Having an elite player at any position in the NFL gives you unique advantages.  In this case I cannot help but think of Wilson having holes to run through like the 2008 line gave Bradshaw and Jacobs. 

Of course the question is will they really be that good?

bamagiantfan

ucannjack, the Giants may have already answered our question in 2010. The needs for the Giants were LB (shocker) and O-Line. Most of the "experts" had the Giants taking Rolando McLain, Mike Iupati, Maurkice Pouncey, Anthony Davis, or Brian Bulaga. Three of those (Pouncey, Iupati, and Bulaga) were still there when the Giants selected at 15 after trades took place for other teams to move up to picks 11, 12, and 13. They took Jason Pierre-Paul who according to almost every mock draft prognosticator had absolutely no chance of being there.

Everything we are talking about now sounds great, but it could all change on draft day. If this years draft is like the last few years, it WILL change.