News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Preview - Offense

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 14, 2013, 05:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Not sure I'd assume Warmack, Fluker and Jones play in the NFL to the same degree of proficiency.  The NFL will sort that out within a  few years.  I'd love to see us land a Steve Hutchinson type player regardless of whether it's a first round or second round selection.

todge

Is it now time to proclaim Andre Brown officially injury prone?  Who is his backup?

So my guess is that the Giants will look for a north-south, downhill RB to compete with Brown and give the team someone to get the difficult 3rd and one first down.

My picks for this task:

Knile Davis             Arkansas                3rd to 4th Round
Joseph Randle       Oklahoma State     3rd to 4th Round
Stepfan Taylor       Stanford                 4th to 5th Round
Spencer Ware        LSU                        4th to 5th Round
George Winn         Cincinnatti              Late Rounds/Free Agent

todge

Quote from: bamagiantfan on April 14, 2013, 01:53:33 PM
ucannjack, the Giants may have already answered our question in 2010. The needs for the Giants were LB (shocker) and O-Line. Most of the "experts" had the Giants taking Rolando McLain, Mike Iupati, Maurkice Pouncey, Anthony Davis, or Brian Bulaga. Three of those (Pouncey, Iupati, and Bulaga) were still there when the Giants selected at 15 after trades took place for other teams to move up to picks 11, 12, and 13. They took Jason Pierre-Paul who according to almost every mock draft prognosticator had absolutely no chance of being there.

Everything we are talking about now sounds great, but it could all change on draft day. If this years draft is like the last few years, it WILL change.

Actually bama ... you would be hard pressed to find any Mock Draft who had JPP rated higher than where the Giants took him.  He was universally rated as the third best DE in that Draft class behind Brandon Graham and Derrick Morgan.  Many Draft pundits were shocked that the Giants took him that high with many claiming he was a reach.

madbadger

FWIW, Ball ran a 4.49 and a 4.51 at his pro day workout which is much more consistent with his previous 40 times than his number from the combine.

Jaime

todge, you got my guy Nile Davis top on your list. In my Mock I have him in the seventh round the 225th pick overall. Terrific north south downhill runner. Davis has size, break-away, speed and strength with 31 reps. His Achilles' heel (literally) is his injury history. Somehow he managed to stay healthy for his junior year, and probably decided not to press his luck and turned out for the NFL draft. Serviceable receiver out of the backfield, and has improved his pass blocking to a reliable level.
Typical high risk high reward potential.

todge

I don't think Davis is lasting until the 7th jaime.  He looks like a late 2nd day choice.  But you never know ...

Regardless, once again, with Brown's long injury history and contract issues, I would be very surprised if the Giants didn't pull the trigger on a RB at some point in the Draft.  I would also expect this RB to be a good goal-line, short yardage type and a good pass blocker.

Jaime

todge, I'm thinking Davis's prolific injury history will scare off most teams in the mid-round mindset. But like you said, who knows

UKGiantsFan

The talent available
It

MightyGiants

What frustrates me is most of these guys need a year to develop and the Giants line is such a mess that's a luxury they can't afford. ~X(
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Watson, an OL who has considerable time boxing and playing basketball, has two things that NFL coaches kill themselves trying to teach to players - footwork and balance.  Players spend their careers trying to attain both and this kid already has it.  It seems to me that the most difficult stuff he already has in spades and with those skills, I'd think he'd project to OLT as well.  Plus, he learned the position so quickly then played in a very competitive conference and performed?  These are exactly the types of players destined to do great things.  Sign me up.  If we could move back a bit, acquire another pick in the 2nd or 3rd round and still get him, that'd be solid.

Jaime

Phil, heard it was a tough Winter out your way... ;)
Watson as a 2nd Rd. Pick, great! But first round pick on a project that has
has two years of football experience? Heck, even JPP had more experience. If we r seeking a plug in RT, we need a more polished Prospect.

for what it's worth, my Mock has C/G/T Barrett Jones in the 3rd Rd. #81 overall (plug in caliber).
In the 5th Rd. #152 overall OT Ried Fragel (converted TE with one year @ T).

Philosophers

Been raining out here in Kauai today Jaime.  My dog is bugging me to take her to the ocean to swim.

It'd be one thing to be a starter on a crappy team in a conference after only two years of playing but to start at Florida State and produce what he did with only two years experience speaks volumes to me.  If we could get him in round 2, great, but I don't think he leaves the first round.

I used to love Barrett Jones as a pick and thought he was a very complete player based on the games I saw, but I keep reading how there is this concern of him getting blown apart by NFL level caliber.

Jaime

Raining in Kauai imagine that? Don't you get like over 300 inches of rain a year?
I recall hiking the Nepali coastline trail in light rain. one of the greatest experiences in my entire life. I felt like I was back with the dinosaurs.

I agree, soccer, hoops, and boxing make for quite the resume of a nimblefooted OT. Just think that whomever we select at number 19, should be a plug-in starter at some point in 2013 season. As u say, Maybe Watsons level of college comp allows him to make that kind of progress?

So I take you are officially off the Barrett Jones welcome wagon?
That's the first negative buzz I've heard on Jones regarding his play at the next level. I'll keep my eyes and ears open over the next 48 hours for any similar Intel.

Your dog must be a good swimmer, because I recalll some pretty nasty Waves out your way.

UKGiantsFan

Due to our needs at those positions I'm not bothering with a full preview, just some thoughts on things as I see 'em on who migt go in the first three rounds and some loose rankings by position.

QB

Philosophers

Jaime - The 22 mile Napali hike (to/from) is generally considered one of the top 10 hikes in the world.  Kudos to you.  It's an incredible experience.  I can definitely see why'd you think you were with dinosaurs.  I live about 3 miles off the main road on the North Shore.  1 mile in from the highway, it rains 30 inches per year.  By the time you get to my house it rains about 100 inches per year.  Lots of microclimates along the way.  Actually very cool.  We own a 110 pound Newfoundland who loves to swim.  They're bred to rescue people who are drowning.  I'm teaching her to rescue.   She loves to swim.  When I take her to the beach to swim, it is "game on" as soon as my head goes underwater.  She comes charging out to swim to me regardless of whether or not I need to be saved.  If I go for a swim, she just follows me whereever I swim and sometimes, I go pretty far offshore.  She's like my "other" wife according to most people who see her following me out there.  I can't surf with her because she cries and follows me out into the water.  Got to leave her home.  Great life here.

If I trust my eyes (and I usually do), I'd love to have Barrett Jones in the 3rd round for us.  I think he is a very cerebral player which I believe is very important at the center position.  The concern I've read is that he got protected a lot by Warmack lined up next to me, however he won awards playing OT as well so it speaks more about his overall talent.  I think his versatility would make him a hot prospect for the Giants.