News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Preview - Offense

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 14, 2013, 05:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dasher

DeAndre Hopkins might be an interesting 2nd round pick if available. We've all heard the report that he allegedly trashed his room at the Combine, including feces on the wall.
I am curious, if this information is correct, how or will it affect his draft status.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/tipsheet-wr-prospects-trash-their-reputation/article_d5044c64-fbd7-568d-8296-7da21d99d56c.html

Philosophers

If we draft anyone among these three groups on day 1, I will likely drop dead given our needs elsewhere and the fact aside from maybe 1 player, none of these guys interest me as a Giant.

dasher

Tyler Eifert would cause huge matchup problems, just like Gronkowski/Hernandez in NE. I might not like such a pick, but could understand the reasoning.

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: dasher on April 24, 2013, 01:57:37 PM
Tyler Eifert would cause huge matchup problems, just like Gronkowski/Hernandez in NE. I might not like such a pick, but could understand the reasoning.

I'd have understood it, perhaps even welcomed it had we not gone out and signed Brandon Myers. Going with Eifert now would simply mean wasted free agent $'s at a time we're tight against the cap as it is

MightyGiants

Having read Ceri's write up on Fluker I am less excited about him.   4 sacks is a lot for a guy who should have been tough to get around.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

todge

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 24, 2013, 02:35:04 PM
Having read Ceri's write up on Fluker I am less excited about him.   4 sacks is a lot for a guy who should have been tough to get around.

Your concern is legit MG.  But on the other hand, if Phil Loadholt can play ORT (he was just resigned for big money), then Fluker certainly can.  The latter is much more mobile than Loadholt.

Regardless, his pass protection issues may be why you hear the name Menelik Watson called at #19.

Jaime

Phil, great stuff there! I do recall those microclimates u speak of. I took a helicopter ride into some incredible valley with a 1/2 doz streams popping out of the hillsides. Rain, sun, rain, sun etc. What a ride! <:-P
Was wondering if that Life Preserver Monument @ the 1st beach on the Napali is still there. It was a tribute to a strong swimmer that drowned on that beach. Really opened my eyes, as I was a strong swimmer whom took chances in my day.

I mentioned elsewhere, I think this Draft is setup great for us. Deep @ Corner, DL, & OL. I'm licking my chops for morrow nite. Thinking JR comes away with a terrific Prospect (whatever position) @ #19.

Rich, not only Ceri's report, but others have echoed the same concerns re; Prospect Fluker. No denying he's a road grader supreme. But reportedly he relies on his incredible reach & strength to handle speed off the edge. That won't fly @ the next level. There has also been alot of fluctuation with his weight. If his feet can't improve, then he becomes a slow G that can't play C. Thinking we can do better with the #19 th Selection.

nygnts4ever

I know I'm in the serious minority...but even with the Myers signing, I would still welcome an Eifert pick.  This guy is a catch machine....
Kevin Karcher

"If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants."

Isaac Newton

Philosophers

Scoring is not our problem.  Stopping the other team is.

todge

The Giants scored 17 points or less in five of their seven losses.  In today's NFL, you are not going to win many games scoring 17 points.

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: todge on April 25, 2013, 12:23:08 PM
The Giants scored 17 points or less in five of their seven losses.  In today's NFL, you are not going to win many games scoring 17 points.

True, but what was the time of possession differential in those losses? Hard to score when you don't have the ball and the other teams defense is fresh all day whilst your own is worn out.

nygnts4ever

Having a potent offense and getting the lead early is a pretty significant variable when it comes to time of possession.  IMO, we too often have to come from behind for wins.  I'd like to see what we're capable of if we try to get out early, and keep pouring it on....then let's establish the run....

Today's NFL...IMO
Kevin Karcher

"If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants."

Isaac Newton

todge

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on April 25, 2013, 01:01:37 PM
Quote from: todge on April 25, 2013, 12:23:08 PM

True, but what was the time of possession differential in those losses? Hard to score when you don't have the ball and the other teams defense is fresh all day whilst your own is worn out.

On the other hand ... if your offense can't move the ball down the field and there are too many "three and outs", that would hurt your defense as well.

The Pats and the Packers are perennial Playoff and Super Bowl contenders, yet they (like the Giants) are at the bottom of the league defensively.  On the other hand, perennial defense oriented teams like the Bears and the Jets go nowhere.  The NFL is now an "outscore your opponent league" rather than "stop your opponent" one.

nygnts4ever

Kevin Karcher

Isaac Newton

jerseyguy

if Reese drafts a TE with the talent that Eifert has then it might help me to get over not drafting Ogeltree...