News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

1965 NY Giants Highlights VIDEO

Started by Giant Obsession, April 17, 2013, 05:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

This is especially for my good "friend" Jamie, whose Dad  had season tickets at old Yankee Stadium in 1965 and took him to the games.

While this is from Youtube....I have the attachment (224 MB) if anyone would like it.  Just let me know.

As an overview the Giants were 2-10-2 in 1964 and 1-12-1 in 1966. 

Enjoy.

1965 New York Giants Team Highlights
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

LennG

A great watch GO.

Couple of things that make me go back:

I forgotten how big Homer Jones was and still could run like the wind

If only Tucker had not gotten hurt. All those years of frustration might not have happened exactly that way.

With all those 'young' guys, WHAT HAPPENED in '66??????
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Giant Obsession

Quote from: LennG on April 17, 2013, 08:44:49 PM

A great watch GO.

Couple of things that make me go back:

I forgotten how big Homer Jones was and still could run like the wind

If only Tucker had not gotten hurt. All those years of frustration might not have happened exactly that way.

With all those 'young' guys, WHAT HAPPENED in '66??????

Lenn. "what happened in 1966 ?'....several sets of circumstances and a bad aligning of the stars in an unfriendly cosmos.

In 1965, we finished 7-7.  We beat all the teams we should have beaten and beat NOBODY with a winning record. 

Okay, so still that was a nice rebound and gives you a chance to season a lot of young kids.  In theory, very true.  However, the Giants still had the last remnants of their Championship era on the roster but they were retiring or holding on for one more year in "66 at Allie's behest (Lynch, Rosie B., Patton, Shofner).  They had been invaluable with a young roster in 1965, but were just about done.

Also, the trade for Morrall in 1965 gave them the vet QB so necessary in the league at that time.  They were never able to develop one since Conerly was drafted.  Morrall's above average play allowed them to beat the average teams.

In 1966, the wheels fell off the young cart.  The teams just below them got a little better (as was usually the way before free agency) and beginning with Tucker Frederickson, our wheels came off in record numbers.  I believe (and I am reaching into my historical research memory...so I could be a little off) the Giants would up with 17 players who missed all or part of 1966, inclucing 13 knee surgeries.  When Morrall went down (broke his wrist in practice), the die was cast.

Additionally their DC was a man named Pop Ivy, who loved to blitz.  Example...in 1965 they lost to Dallas twice, neither game close.  In those 2 games, they sacked meredith ELEVEN times....11.

In 1966 as the injuries mounted on both sides of the ball, we were blitzing almost every other play.  The league was ready for our blitz, ergo lots of big plays.  Our secondary could win gold in any track meet, BUT covering verteran receivers was well beyond them.  It was so bad, I remember Joe Morrison went into several games as the backup QB. 

They hired a kid named Tom Kennedy from basically a sandlot league and he saw lots of action, even threw four TD's in one game.  He both started and finished in relief the 72-41 game against the Redsikns. In fact, it was he that threw the ball out of bounds intentionally on fourth down deep in his own territory that lead to the next play (last play of the game) FG that Sam Huff so delights in taking credit for calling.

I love reading or finding tidbits of film on 1966.  I love our history.

Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon