News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Good article over on BBI on the 1938 Giants

Started by Webster29, October 15, 2013, 09:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Webster29

Some real good info on Mel Hein too.    I would believe most folks here (except Jimv) never got to see Hein play.   If you want to know how good he really was read this article.   Some nice pics too.

http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/2013/10/14/1938-new-york-giants/

Giant Obsession

What an absolutely fantastic and well written article about a vaunted time in our history.  My only complaint for those few on here who will read it was there was not enough of an explanation about punting on 1st, 2nd or 3rd down back then.

It was called a quick kick and was taken by the QB or a RB.  It was mainly done when pinned deep in your own territory.  The advantage...there was rarely any return yardage because the defense was on the field and usually totally unprepared for the punt...and thus no return yardage was to be garnered.

Now, the sad part of this magnificent time and the article is so few on here will read it.   They have no interest in something that took place 75 years ago.  Yet those type of players and those games are an integral part of the fiber and the foundation of THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS.  We did not begin with the drafting of LT.  And I don't give a damn about your age.  KNOW your history.

When you don't know your history, you help to condemn your future.

I dedicate this posting to the memory of Chris Allen....to me the ULTIMATE NY Giant fan.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

jimv

Obs, I don't know who Chris Allen is, but I LOVE HIM!!! =D> =D>

GREAT article, Bill.  THANKS! :ok:

The Giants are truly a fantastic franchise.  "Once a Giant, always a Giant"

Webster29

Ah Jimmy.   Yes you would have loved Chris.     He was the Giant historian so to say over on the BBWC.   He passed away a few years ago way to early.   In his 40's if memory serves.    He at times could be a bit of a homer but you could say that about any of us.  He was all Giants and he loved their history.    Mention some obscure Giant from years gone by and he would produce a picture of the guy.    He could be quite impatient with posters that would say things from left field.  He was quick to jump on them.     But bring up anything about Giants history and he would be in the middle of the conversation.  I'd bet he slept in Giants pj's. 

jimv

As I said, Bill, I LOVE that guy!  BTW, did you notice Hein's uni from 1940 & Leemans's & Cuff's uni from 1941?  One red & the other blue.  In the 40s & early 50s, they used to alternate those colors for home games.  And, I really like that helmet.  Maybe if we wore the reds in the Vikes game we could break the losing streak.  :knockONwood:

files58

Great article. The game really has not changed. For instance "caught a short pass underneath the Giants soft coverage and navigated his way to a 66-yard gain", the same could be said for Fewell's defense  =))  ;). The West Coast Offense of Bill Walsh(rip) and his coaching tree very closely follows the offense of Paul Brown and the Cleveland Browns of the 50's. The great Sid Gilman's(S.D. Chargers HC in the 60's) passing strategy has its stamp on many NFL offenses. Joe Gibbs' "Counter Tray" was just a slight variation of Lombardi's famed power sweep.

Giant Obsession

Two things....

1. a bump to keep this MOST worthy thread alive in hopes some of our younger fans may actually expose themselves to it.

2.  To the Moderators.....If this could please be moved to the History section at the appropriate time I would appreciate it.  There's plenty of room, please excuse the dust  :doh:   Hey, I live in hope.  There is a lot of great knowledge in there AND it is a great place to visit and expand your NYG heritage.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

Webster29

Quote from: Giant Obsession on October 16, 2013, 03:01:07 PM
Two things....

1. a bump to keep this MOST worthy thread alive in hopes some of our younger fans may actually expose themselves to it.

2.  To the Moderators.....If this could please be moved to the History section at the appropriate time I would appreciate it.  There's plenty of room, please excuse the dust  :doh:   Hey, I live in hope.  There is a lot of great knowledge in there AND it is a great place to visit and expand your NYG heritage.

Mike:  I think that is a great idea.    I will be glad to move it.    You or I can bump it for a couple of days if you would like then I will move it to the History Board.

Giant Obsession

Thank you Sir.  I would love to find more well written articles like this.  We have a glorious history even with the warts.
Mike

LennG

Just a great piece, so well written, was like a painted picture where you could read and imagine what was really happening.

And YES, Chris Allen would have loved it, in fact he could have written it.

I'll bet Jim still has his ticket stubs from that Championship game. :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Quote from: LennG on October 17, 2013, 07:47:45 PM
Just a great piece, so well written, was like a painted picture where you could read and imagine what was really happening.

And YES, Chris Allen would have loved it, in fact he could have written it.

I'll bet Jim still has his ticket stubs from that Championship game. :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

C'mon, Lenny!  do you have to give away ALL my secrets? =)) =)) =))