News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

A great Y A Tittle article from BBI

Started by Webster29, November 06, 2013, 04:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Webster29

I saw this and had to copy it for here.   It is a great YA article with some fabulous pics.    As I did with the article on the 1938 Giants I will leave it up here for a while then move it to the history board.

Enjoy:

http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/2013/11/04/y-tittles-incomparable-1962-1963-seasons/

roarty

Maybe this article tells us something about the present Giants.  The article tells us how good Tittle was at reading and adjusting to the other team.  Parcell's team's could do the same, especially at the half time. Coughlin's team can't.  We were 0-6 before they stopped trying to threw down field and stopped the read and react defense.

Giant Obsession

Fantastic article again.

Two points......

1.  Y.A.'s record when throwing for over 300 yards..........  8 - 0

This is absolutely unheard of in football over the last 30 years.  Over 300 yards has been the kiss of death with regards to securing a win.

2.  You young pups out there who think QB'ing started with Dan Marino and Joe Montana and who live under this delusion that QB's are so much improved over my bygone era.....think again.  Those guys were cutting edge based on the era they played in.  If you took them and magically started them over in college in 2010, you would be enjoying an unprecedented level of QB play for the next 20 years.  Those guys were that good, that smart, and that tough.  There were only 12 teams and around 35-40 man rosters.

It was a competitive era of football that todays game is a pale image in comparison.  Those were men who played that game, and to me their image grows larger every year in comparison to the milquetoast product you see today.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

LennG

What a great article. Thanks Bill, so much for posting it.

As most know, YA is still my favorite all time Giant. He may not have the best stats, he was here only for 4years, and 1964 was when he got hurt and that was it for him. But in those 3 marvelous seaons, I was an impressionable young teen, and YA  quickly became my Giant's hero. Tittle to Shofner became a Giant rallying cry. We, as kids, played ball in the streets and parks, and it was always Tittle to Shofner ------TOUCHDOWN.

To many who are new to these times of the NFL, every QB called their own plays and that usually separate
d the good from the bad. You had to be smart to play the position. Maybe that thought has been carried over for so long, why anyone not 'White' was considered, ' not smrt enough to be a QB '.

YA you are still, THE MAN.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

murderhill

I was at that game!  Way out in right center field but still at the edge of the field on the 40 yard line.  YA was my favorite Giant by far that year.  great article

jimv

Quote from: Mr. Matt on November 06, 2013, 03:54:22 PM
I really enjoyed this, thanks for posting. It really gave you a feel of how good Tittle was, what he meant to the team and the atmosphere around him and the '61-'63 teams.

It's too bad that group did not win a title. I understand Tittle played injured in the '63 Championship, which may have been their best chance?

Also interesting to hear Sherman described as "ingenious." Mostly you hear about his failures in later years, I wonder how those who lived through that era feel about him in retrospect?

In retrospect, I think Sherman was a terrific Ass't Coach but NOT a good Head Coach.  He was successful in living off the "leftovers" but failed miserably when he tried to re-form the team.  Remember, the Giants tried to get Lombardi as HC and took Sherman only because Lombardi refused them.

LennG

Sherman was considered an offensive genius, but, as Jim said, probably not the right mettle for a job as HC. The Giants did extremely well under him, as he inherited a powerful team. But in 64, when the entire team got old all at once, Sherman failed to rebuild the team. Whatever the reasons why the Giants never regained any momentum until the early 80's, and there are many lines of thought, but Allie gets a good part of the blame. Why??? I really can't say. Wrong place, wrong time, just don't know.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Giant Obsession

Quote from: LennG on November 06, 2013, 06:19:42 PM
Sherman was considered an offensive genius, but, as Jim said, probably not the right mettle for a job as HC. The Giants did extremely well under him, as he inherited a powerful team. But in 64, when the entire team got old all at once, Sherman failed to rebuild the team. Whatever the reasons why the Giants never regained any momentum until the early 80's, and there are many lines of thought, but Allie gets a good part of the blame. Why??? I really can't say. Wrong place, wrong time, just don't know.

Allie gets MUCH TOO MUCH of the blame.  In a similar situation to this year when we are jumping all over Reese and the drafts, just go back and look at our 1960-1964 drafts....pitiful.  And back then you had 37-40 man rosters, no place to shelter and nurture any prospects that needed exposure and seasoning.

History would be MUCH kinder to Allie if not for the 1962 30-40mph winds the day of the championship game, and the knee hunting Bears of 1963 who took more than a few shots at Tittle's knees before caving in our redwood QB.

Was he a great coach....no.  But he was in no way deserving of the treatment he endured from 1966 on.

He was the first "expert" on ESPN to breakdown plays and explain them to the general populus.  The man was no dummy.  He is 92 now and living in Connecticut.

Allie's Giant teams will always have a special place in my heart.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

Webster29

I hate to keep stealing stuff from BBI but dam they have some nice pics over there.   I had to post this one on the Tittle thread.   Jack Stroud #66   Giff and Lou Cordileone #74.   I added it to the Tittle thread cause Cordileone was who the Giants traded to the Niners to get YA.   And I hadn't seen a pic of big Lou in years:

http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/wp-content/uploads/new-york-giants-history/1959-new-york-giants-photos/giants-was-11_29_59.jpeg

LennG

Just good to see Giants uniforms covered with dirt. Something I have really been missing from football. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Quote from: Webster29 on November 07, 2013, 01:04:49 AM
I hate to keep stealing stuff from BBI but dam they have some nice pics over there.   I had to post this one on the Tittle thread.   Jack Stroud #66   Giff and Lou Cordileone #74.   I added it to the Tittle thread cause Cordileone was who the Giants traded to the Niners to get YA.   And I hadn't seen a pic of big Lou in years:

http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/wp-content/uploads/new-york-giants-history/1959-new-york-giants-photos/giants-was-11_29_59.jpeg

If you remember, Rosey Brown & Jack Stroud were a part of the Giants "Goalline Stand Defense."  They were terrific in that capacity.  Rosey's in the HofF and is on the NFL's ALL STAR 75 Year Team.  I think he could've been just as good if he played DT.

files58

Great picture, thanks. However someone missed a block(LOL). Lombardi didn't so much turn the Giants down after Howell retired. The Pack's President reneged on a Gentlemen's Agreement with Wellington Mara that the GMEN could approach Lombardi with the HC opportunity when Howell retired.

Giant Obsession

Webster29, please in no way take this as an upstaging for you truly do a great job in providing quality stuff, but if that is the game from 1959 our #74 was Art Hauser....a journeyman lineman.

Big Lou came along in 1960 and then was traded in 1961.

I can not tell from the pic, but did you know Lou actually did some acting.  He appeared in an episode of Branded, starring Chuck Connors, which was on NBC around 1966-1967. Scroll down the left side............

http://www.riflemanconnors.com/branded/headed_for_doomsday-episode_cast.htm
Mike

LennG

You want memories. Forget BBI, let them come here

Here are some great pics from that title game against the Packers in 1962
http://packerville.blogspot.com/2010/09/1962-title-game-in-life.html

Here are some great pics.

First is the 49ers Million Dollar Backfield
Tittle, Joe Perry, Hugh McElhenny and John Henry Johnson

Next is YA and Friends
(Rosey Brown, Tittle, Jimmy Patten and Del Shofner)

Next is YA in Action

And the last is a great pix of the Giants in the dugout in Yankee Stadium
(who is the player behind Patton, whose number ends with a 3 ?)

Charlie Weiss

Giant Obsession

Lenn, why that is the great Bookie Bolin....number 63
Mike