News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT--YANKEES BASEBALL TALK

Started by Webster29, January 21, 2014, 01:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Webster29

Want to talk some Yankees baseball.   Do it here.     This thread will be moved to the Baseball Board in a few days.

Giant Obsession

EXCELLENT job Bill.

What better way to start a thread than conjecturing on Mr. Yankee...Derek Jeter.

Personally, I think  the chances are great that this is his last season.
We know he will come into camp in great shape, but he is 39.  His age is no biggie, but that catastrophic injury he suffered in the playoffs of 2012 doubled with his age I fear are too insurmountable.  I expect if he is not having something close to a jeter year by the All Star break, he will announce that this season is his last.

I truly hope not because for me he has been MY once in a lifetime Yankee. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/yankees-ss-jeter-resumes-baseball-203230262--mlb.html
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Gmo11

I can't even imagine what baseball is going to be like without Rivera closing games.  Once Jeter goes too my entire baseball childhood goes with him.  I'm still hopeful the Captain can put together one more season of solid hitting and routine defense.  He can't be any worse than the crap they were throwing out there last year can he? 

I like the team assuming they can get Tanaka.  They need to call up that agent and just tell him "listen, whatever the Dodgers offered, we'll add 10 million.  Let's get this done"  With him in the rotation I think this is a playoff team.

Section 101 Steve

Yankees sign tanaka 7 yrs and 155 mill. Tanaka has an opt out after the 4th year.
sm

babywhales

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

todge

My client is the Director of Scouting for a Major League Baseball team.  He personally scouted Tanaka this year.  He stated that he is not as good as Darvish.  But is still a borderline #1 and solid #2 pitcher. 

drakew

For St valentine's DAY!!!!!!!!

Pitchers and catchers report :P :P :D :D <:-P <:-P
"The future ain't what it used to be-" Yogi Berra

Webster29

It sure is going to be strange when the entire core four are gone.   DJ is one of those rare players that had both the talent and class.    A good friend of mine is a huge Red Sox fan and of course just hates anything Yankees.   But he told me he will never say a bad word about Jeter.    I hope he plays another 5 years as long is he is healthy and satisfied with his level of play.   He would never just hang around.   He will know when the time is right.

Sem

Don't forget Mo. We were fortunate in being able to watch both Jeter and Mo spend their entire careers with the Yanks. Two top notch players, the epitome of class. One is rare in this day and age. Two is unheard of.

zephirus

Quote from: todge on January 22, 2014, 10:33:07 AM
My client is the Director of Scouting for a Major League Baseball team.  He personally scouted Tanaka this year.  He stated that he is not as good as Darvish.  But is still a borderline #1 and solid #2 pitcher.

Totally different players.  Darvish is a flamethrower.  Tanaka is a bit more surgical and has excellent ball placement.  His splitter is incredible. 

Frankly, I don't care how Tanaka gets the job done, so long as he gets it done.  Andy Pettitte never had over-powering stuff either.

todge

Quote from: zephirus on January 24, 2014, 09:30:57 AM
Quote from: todge on January 22, 2014, 10:33:07 AM

Totally different players.  Darvish is a flamethrower.  Tanaka is a bit more surgical and has excellent ball placement.  His splitter is incredible. 

Frankly, I don't care how Tanaka gets the job done, so long as he gets it done.  Andy Pettitte never had over-powering stuff either.

Tanaka's fastball ranges from 92 - 96.  That's a lot faster than Andy ever dialed up.

Giant Obsession

Taking a close look at our roster now, I actually think we might contend.

Question....who closes ?  Robertson's few chances have had mixed results and he does tend to throw a lot of pitches in an inning.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

joeyfootball

since the Yankees sold 80% of the yes network  they have the money to pay the guys the got in this off season.

Section 101 Steve

Gotta think the yanks will be raking in the money in the japanese market also
sm

Gmo11

Robertson is getting first crack at the job.  They will have to work with him on throwing more strikes and being more efficient but he certainly has the stuff to do the job.  Hopefully the years spent sitting next to Mo have allowed some magic to rub off.