News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT--METS BASEBALL TALK

Started by Webster29, January 21, 2014, 01:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Webster29

How about some New York Mets baseball talk.   Do it here.   This thread will be moved to the Baseball Board after a few days.

Grime Time

I'm excited we might make it to .500 this year.  Was Happy we shed some Payroll and hopefully improve our infield and bullpen.   Outfield and starting rotation not bad.  New owners would be nice.
Get busy livin ,  or get busy dying.

Webster29

GT:   Any good looking rooks on the scene that you think might make a difference??

Rambo89

Quote from: Grime Time on January 21, 2014, 02:58:21 AM
I'm excited we might make it to .500 this year.  Was Happy we shed some Payroll and hopefully improve our infield and bullpen.   Outfield and starting rotation not bad.  New owners would be nice.

Right now I think they win 77 games.  The rotation is worse with Colon replacing Harvey.  At Colon's age I am not confident he performs near what he did last season.  The lineup is better though especially if Chris Young gives them something.  It's too soon to say what the bullpen will be.

For me, I would consider a successful Met season if it included the following:

-80-82 wins
-Wheeler has a solid injury free season where he pitches 200 innings.
-D'Arnoud proves he can be a solid everyday catcher.
-Either Duda or Ike proves they can be a solid everyday 1B.
-Tejeda finally gets his act together proves he's a long term solution at SS.
-Prospects like Syndergaard, Nimmo, Plawecki and Matz continue to progress in their development.  In the case of Syndergaard I'm not necessarily looking for him to be called up as I am him to put up innings and pitch well.

Those things would put the Mets in a position to possibly contend for a playoff spot in 2015 with the return of Matt Harvey.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Grime Time

Quote from: Webster29 on January 21, 2014, 03:11:15 AM
GT:   Any good looking rooks on the scene that you think might make a difference??

Travis D'anaurd was supposed to start earlier last year but hurt his foot he came out 2nd half of the season I still consider him a rookie.  We got him in the RA Dickey deal.  The kid has an arm and is suppose to be pretty legit.  Hopefully he stays healthy and well go from there.  Plus the pitchers love catching from him.  He squares the ball up right to make non strikes and strikes be called more as strikes. 
Get busy livin ,  or get busy dying.

Webster29

I remember Travis from the minors.    I saw him play in Jamestown when he was with the Williamsport Crosscutters and in Erie when he played on the Eastern League champion New Hampshire Fisher Cats.  He was pretty good.     I hope he makes it big with the Mets.

londonblue

The bullpen worries me as does Parnell's fitness. I think Alderson et al have done a solid job reloading the pitching pipeline but we are unbalanced in the minors. Until the team has a better line of hitting prospects in we'll be scratching around free agency for temporary fixes and hoping the likes of Granderson don't fall off a cliff with age and that Chris Young miraculously revives. We still feel like a 75-85 win club to me but with some hope for the future as there is at least some method rather than front office madness.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Webster29

I'm going to give this a bump for now.   Depending on the interest shown I will either leave it on this board for a little longer or move to the baseball board.   So far I am encouraged by interest shown in the Yankee and Mets threads.   I hope it continues.

Section 101 Steve

Quote from: Webster29 on January 27, 2014, 10:39:21 PM
I'm going to give this a bump for now.   Depending on the interest shown I will either leave it on this board for a little longer or move to the baseball board.   So far I am encouraged by interest shown in the Yankee and Mets threads.   I hope it continues.

Webster, As a suggestion why not just leave the yankee and met threads  as a single thread for posters to add on to similar to what we do with the rangers. I imagine it will probably work the same with more action during the season and maybe now during free agency and not so much in the off season similar to the rangers. Unless you think its too much for the boards to have 3 separate threads unrelated to the giants. Just speaking for myself I enjoy the ease in just coming to the football site and posting there rather that chasing it somewhere else. I am a yankee fan but have rotisserie teams in both leagues therefore giving me a rooting interest in the mets also. 
sm

Webster29

londonblue

Farnsworth added on a minors deal and the buzz is that they still want a relatively cheap 'insurance' closer.

Looks like Alderson is staying true to form trying to patchwork the bullpen together with enough vets to mentor the promising young arms and have multiple options to plug holes hoping at least one or two prove viable. There are worse plans providing the young guys continue to improve and we have at least average production at closer.

If they can get a Rodney/Gregg/Madson and another Farnsworth type they should be at least adequate and that gives me hope we may be at least an 81 win team.

I wonder if Matt Clark can pressure Ike/Duda into some production? Now I'm just getting ridiculously optimistic  :P
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.