News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Preview 2014- Offense (COMBINED)

Started by UKGiantsFan, March 30, 2014, 07:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKGiantsFan

TIGHT ENDS

The talent available
Truthfully, there are really only six prospects available who have the look of future starters and two of those guys are coming off some form of surgery! That said, each of them offers a skill-set that could be considered attractive. I have one player ranked in my top 10, two in my top 40, another in my top 64 and one in my top 100.

What do I think the Giants should do?
As we don

MightyGiants

Great stuff Ceri!  well done =D>   Like you, after being high on Eabron I am starting to have my doubts.  I have a real aversion to receivers that drop too many balls.   In my mind a dropped easy catch is nearly as bad as a turn over.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

The 2014 draft season has officially begun!!!!!    :ok:

DesG89

Ahh the signs that spring has finally come. Warmth, blossoming trees an flowers and of course Ceri's positional previews to wet our appetites for the draft. Good read as always. Looking forward to future reviews.

I'm obviously in the minority but I'm hoping Ebron is not our 1st rounder. I've never thought much of these new breed TEs that are basically blown up WRs that can't block. If he is the pick of course I'll cheer for him to succeed but personally I'd go in another direction at 12

ctgiant

Good article on NJ/NY Ledger about the 2014 group of TE's from both current and former NFC GM's, and
how they rate this years group. Ebron is not rated as high as you might think, and the giants have always
asked there TE's to block, these guys don't think Ebron will ever block well, but offers more WR type play with good hands.
Personally, I like the kid at ND he has the kind of stuff the giants like, and the guy who they rate the "best WR" is Sammy Watkins.
Check the article out.
CT GIANT

http://www.nj.com/times-sports/index.ssf/2014/03/eckel_three_men_love_nfl_draft.html
Born here in Hartford, Connecticut, and grew up a New York Giant fan, and back then, most here were as well.
Then the New England Patriots moved in, and now since beating up on them Twice, ha, not so much.
Went to Yale Bowl back in the day, saw Joe Willie; LT and met Jim Kanicki & Roger Staubach at a dinner. I lived through the "Stupid Years" as Wellington would admit to later on. Semiretired

GiantJohnny

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 30, 2014, 08:58:08 AM
Great stuff Ceri!  well done =D>   Like you, after being high on Eabron I am starting to have my doubts.  I have a real aversion to receivers that drop too many balls.   In my mind a dropped easy catch is nearly as bad as a turn over.

Me too.

todge

Great job Ceri.

I firmly believe the Giants will come out of this Draft with two TEs.  One a catch first/block second type and in the middle to late Rounds, a block first/catch second type.  I still think the Giants will take Ebron at #12 simply because there are no real other options.  Then perhaps an Arthur Lynch in the 5th would round out a position that is totally devoid of talent at this point.

king of the bronx

Quote from: DesG89 on March 30, 2014, 01:45:46 PM
Ahh the signs that spring has finally come. Warmth, blossoming trees an flowers and of course Ceri's positional previews to wet our appetites for the draft. Good read as always. Looking forward to future reviews.

I'm obviously in the minority but I'm hoping Ebron is not our 1st rounder. I've never thought much of these new breed TEs that are basically blown up WRs that can't block. If he is the pick of course I'll cheer for him to succeed but personally I'd go in another direction at 12
Exactly how I feel. :-?? :-?? :-??
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

UKGiantsFan

GUARDS

The talent available
It

MightyGiants

Good stuff Ceri.   Did you happen to check out the guard from East Carolina that Flaherty watched?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

Sorry Rich, no video's of him in game long action over at draft breakdown. Can't say I've seen any part of an East Carolina game for a few years so I can't comment

jimmyz

Looks like we could have many options in rds 2-4. 
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

DesG89

Great write up as usual Ceri. Sua Filo is my favorite OG in this draft but there's no way he drops to 43. Would have no problem with Jackson in the 2nd or 3rd for that matter. What's your opinion of unheralded Bama RG Anthony Steen?

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: DesG89 on April 03, 2014, 10:18:25 PM
Great write up as usual Ceri. Sua Filo is my favorite OG in this draft but there's no way he drops to 43. Would have no problem with Jackson in the 2nd or 3rd for that matter. What's your opinion of unheralded Bama RG Anthony Steen?

I actually kinda like Steen as a third day option but worry that if we were to draft him and play him at RG next to Pugh we'd have trouble in noisy environments with false starts on the right side. It's not that Steen has any trouble hearing (that I know of) just that between he and Pugh their arms are so short they couldn't hold hands pre-snap unless we tightened the splits  =))

Seriously though, he's probably maxed out in terms of his size, isn't particularly athletic but he's played well at the highest level of competition. The torn labrum that ended his season before his Bowl game has prevented him from working out at either the Combine or Crimson Tide Pro Day but they have another one coming up in April that he is expected to be ready for. Do well in that i can see him being drafted in the 5th round.

MightyGiants

Ceri,

Did you hear TC's comment about the size of the guards the Giants signed and going back to playing Giants football?  Seems like with the departure of Gilbride nimble and athletic may not be in the Giants guard's job description.   I think what that will translate into is better short yardage and red zone production.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE