News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Preview 2014 - Defense (COMBINED)

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 14, 2014, 03:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKGiantsFan

DE/OLB (EDGE RUSHERS)

The Talent Available
There is some marquee talent at this position with one player ranking in my top 5 overall, another in my top 15, one in my top 40, two in my top 50, one in my top 75 and two in my top 100. That said, few fit the profile of the type of player I believe the Giants will be searching for so don't get too excited!

What do I think the Giants should do?
The Giants invented the NASCAR package to get more speed up front on passing downs without giving away in terms of size. It worked then and with the right athletes it would do again but right now we

MightyGiants

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Giants pick up Demarcus Lawrence in the second round.  They have interviewed him and he seems to be an ideal fit for the Giants Joker position.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 26, 2014, 07:34:25 AM
It would surprise me to see the Giants pick up Demarcus Lawrence in the second round.  They have interviewed him and he seems to be an ideal fit for the Giants Joker position.

More often than not the Giants bring in guys they have questions about more so than those they like. Lawrence's three suspensions and John Mara's statement about not taking chances high in the draft seem like a clash to me. Obviously they will have done some digging and know exactly what those suspensions are for but he doesn't sound like a TC guy to me. Attacochu not only appears to be a TC guy but also very much the type of prospect that Reese and Ross like

MightyGiants

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on April 26, 2014, 07:42:02 AM
It would surprise me to see the Giants pick up Demarcus Lawrence in the second round.  They have interviewed him and he seems to be an ideal fit for the Giants Joker position.

More often than not the Giants bring in guys they have questions about more so than those they like. Lawrence's three suspensions and John Mara's statement about not taking chances high in the draft seem like a clash to me. Obviously they will have done some digging and know exactly what those suspensions are for but he doesn't sound like a TC guy to me. Attacochu not only appears to be a TC guy but also very much the type of prospect that Reese and Ross like

Ceri,

Seems to me there are two things that make a player a gamble, character and injury.   Attacochu seems to be the latter.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 26, 2014, 07:47:23 AM
Quote from: UKGiantsFan on April 26, 2014, 07:42:02 AM

Ceri,

Seems to me there are two things that make a player a gamble, character and injury.   Attacochu seems to be the latter.

I agree with the premise but Attaochu had a relatively minor injury and is healthy now. Ford is the one with the injury history.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

President Rick

Ceri:  I don't read any of these players except Mack as a three down player or maybe even a starter for the Giants.  That would push them clearly to second round or after status IMO.  Even Barr as I read it.  Care to comment or clarify.  I could be reading it wrong.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

bamagiantfan

I cannot separate my thoughts about Dee Ford from this play. THe highlights for the Auburn-Georgia game focused on the miracle catch to "win" the game, but Aaron Murray decided he wasn't done. With little time left he drove Georgia down to the 20 and scrambling out of the pocket it looked like he had a WR crossing at the goal line for the winning score. Then Dee Ford peeled off the double team and planted Murray in the Auburn turf. Without this sack the College season could have been quite different.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqIPX7WBTnVoA4C37w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjBzZmhtBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDNg--?p=Dee+Ford+sacks+Aaron+murray&vid=82718a88aaaaf3da479c753931a509cf&l=1%3A20&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DVN.608054536157596876%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dw7n9D1lUilI&tit=Auburn+vs.+Georgia+football+-+last+play+fan+reactions+at+Jordan-Hare+Stadium+football+2013+%5BHD%5D&c=5&sigr=11a1f7sl5&sigt=12vddh2i8&age=0&fr=yfp-t-901&tt=b
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

UKGiantsFan

CORNERBACKS

Overview:
No

UKGiantsFan

SAFETIES

Overview
A pretty decent year for Safeties with some top end talent and decent depth though there is a big drop-off after the top four players. Until Will Hill once again endangered his employment with an OTF indiscretion the Giants had no needs whatsoever at the position with big-play FS Stevie Brown returning alongside Pro Bowler Antrel Rolle and veteran Quintin Demps added as a UFA. That said, with the team always thinking one year ahead and Rolle still not offered a new contract there is a small possibility that they may be in the market for a future starter at SS. The Giants have a height/size/speed requirement for this position preferring to draft those between 6

MightyGiants

If the Giants go safety I want one of the guys over 6 foot.   Under 6 foot would seem like a match up problem with TEs and the tall WRs
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

Overview
With the college offenses becoming more read-option based the defenses have tended to put their best athletes at DE rather than OLB hence many of the better ones being covered in the  OLB/DE (Edge Rushers) preview. There are three top

DesG89

Good read as always Ceri. I was patiently awaiting this review because I was curious what you thought of Mosely. With just about everyone touting either Lewan, Martin, Donald, Evans or Ebron, I think I'm the only one that wants Mosely with our 1st rounder. I'm a little surprised you think Shazier is possible at 12 but not Mosely. I guess because of the injuries

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: DesG89 on May 06, 2014, 06:34:37 PM
Good read as always Ceri. I was patiently awaiting this review because I was curious what you thought of Mosely. With just about everyone touting either Lewan, Martin, Donald, Evans or Ebron, I think I'm the only one that wants Mosely with our 1st rounder. I'm a little surprised you think Shazier is possible at 12 but not Mosely. I guess because of the injuries

Actually it's mostly because he fits best at MLB and we have Beason. I don't believe in drafting a guy to play a position other than his best one just because he can...