News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Preview 2014- Offense (COMBINED)

Started by UKGiantsFan, March 30, 2014, 07:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MP21WAYS2PAY

Jaime

Ceri, I was not a member of the choir that was singing praises for Wilson as a first round selection. As a rule, I'm never in favor of drafting of RB in the first round. I don't care if he's touted to be the next Jim Brown. RB's suffer a high incidence of injury. Data will back me up on this, OL have the best longevity record. If you want to get that minimum five years (or more?) out of your first-round pick go OL, the odds r in your favor.

I concur with your fears of injury regarding Williams from BC. RB's drop like flies in the NFL. Got to be healthy going in to have any shot @ sticking around.
I'm gonna stick with my guy Sims. He should be able to contribute early on ST's. Figure as a fourth round pick, he'll fit in the RB rotation later in the season (providing Blitz pickup & ball security don't hold him back?).

Webster29

Ceri:   do you have any opinion on Branden Oliver out of Buffalo??   12th Man and I have been touting him as a possible late round or undrafted fa prospect the Giants may want to consider.   They did have a scout at the UB Pro Day perhaps to take a closer look at Mack just in case he drops that far but I wonder if he may have had some interest in checking Oliver out.   12th Man has favorably compared Oliver to Joe Morris.  Any thoughts on him??

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2014/3/3/5464780/buffalo-bulls-pro-day-branden-oliver

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: Webster29 on April 29, 2014, 12:23:15 AM
Ceri:   do you have any opinion on Branden Oliver out of Buffalo??   12th Man and I have been touting him as a possible late round or undrafted fa prospect the Giants may want to consider.   They did have a scout at the UB Pro Day perhaps to take a closer look at Mack just in case he drops that far but I wonder if he may have had some interest in checking Oliver out.   12th Man has favorably compared Oliver to Joe Morris.  Any thoughts on him??

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2014/3/3/5464780/buffalo-bulls-pro-day-branden-oliver

Compared favouraby to Joe Morris?  =)) Oh man my sides are hurting with that one. In games against teams with good athletes he averaged under 4 yards per carry in all of them over the course of his career. Has some nice cutting ability and he actually is pretty decent as a pass blocker but he can't break any tackles, lacks power and doesn't really have any special traits. He's a UDFA.

UKGiantsFan

Apparently this preview is long. I tried to go back in and amend the original version so it was all on one page but it exceeded the 20k character limit so wouldn't save!

Anyways, where was I?

Quality prospects limited to the slot (so I have NO in interest in any of them)
Brandin Cooks, Oregon State (5

UKGiantsFan

QUARTERBACKS

Overview:
Average year. There isn

nb587

I know a little bit of Tom Savage and disagree with some of the analysis including a key fact.  Savage left Rutgers on his own; he was not  booted off the team by any means.  They tried very hard to keep including firing the offensive coordinator who utiliized a spread offense and bought in a coordinator who ran a pro style offense which would have helped Savage had he stayed.  Schiano screwed up big time by hiring the spread coordinator in my opinion and fired him quickly but not quick enough.  My sons went  to Rutgers at that time and I know people who know the family.  It was Savage's father who convinced him to leave in the same way that Savage's older brother, also a QB, also transferred colleges. 

In terms of his performance, the OL at Rutgers during the time peripd you mentioned ws much like the Giants OL this year and it's hard to make a meaningfull conclusions about the QB performance.  He has a big time arm and is a vey tough kid.  He is also very coachable.  I've read this and agree that if he had stayed in 1 place for 4 years, he would have been a 1st round pick.  As it is, I think he'll go in the 2nd round or early 3rd.  His arm is that good.

bamagiantfan

Norwood was a superb blocker at Alabama. As you said, he's nothing special but somehow makes the 8 yard catch on 3rd and 7 whenever the Tide needed it.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

MightyGiants

This is one of the shortest QB draft classes I can remember. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bamagiantfan

Great write up. I feel differently about Murray but time will tell. It seemed to me he brought his team back from the dead and "won" games often, only to see his Defense give the game back in the next minute, and then was asked to work miracles in the closing minutes (Vandy scores 17 in the 4th quarter to win, although Murray was admittedly horrible inthat game; Auburn's "miracle" finish). Even the coaches voted him the preseason 1st team SEC QB over McCarron, Manziel, and Mettenburger. I also think the injuries at WR to Marshall and Scott-Wesley hurt him last season, as well as the three games Todd Gurley missed, of which they lost two. Gurley isn't just their best rusher. He is a big part of their passing game too.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

bamagiantfan

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 01, 2014, 08:09:18 AM
"Shortest" in height or depth at the position?

MightyGiants

Quote from: bamagiantfan on May 01, 2014, 09:27:14 AM
Quote from: MightyGiants on May 01, 2014, 08:09:18 AM
"Shortest" in height or depth at the position?

I meant height but both work

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE