News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Football terms defined

Started by MightyGiants, January 05, 2008, 10:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

It's always helpful to understand and be able to use the proper terms.  Here are some websites that define most of the terms used.

http://insidethepylon.com/football-term-glossary/

http://www.4malamute.com/definitions101.html

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

nygiants1086

Anyone know why the MLB SLB and WLB are called Mike Sam and Will?
WORLD CHAMPION ROAD WARRIORS

akrdjr3340

believe it or not....I think they were just names given to the part of the field in which they played...

Sam - Strong side.
Mike - Middle
Will - Weak Side

Now if there is a certain reason why it was those names, that I am not too sure about.

MightyGiants

I believe the names were given to make it easier to call plays.  They are most likely derived from the name alphabet with Mike substituting for Mary.   Because it's not official, there are sometimes variations such as the Mac being substituted for Mac.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

vette5573

Mike - The 'M' represents the 'M' in middle linebacker. In a 4-3 formation, the Mike (sometimes referred to as the 'Inside' or 'Mack' linebacker) is the middle linebacker. In a 3-4 formation, the Mike is weak side middle linebacker, since there are two middle linebackers. (Weak refers to the non-tight end side, strong refers to the tight end side.)

Will - The 'W' represents the 'W' in weak side inside linebacker. In a 4-3 as well as 3-4 defense, this is the inside linebacker on the weak side.

Sam - The 'S' represents strong side linebacker. In a 4-4 defense the strong safety plays just like a linebacker, but also has the option of dropping back into the safety position if the offense lines up with a one, or no back set. In a 4-3 scheme, the Sam linebacker plays the strong side. In the 3-4, the Sam is the outside linebacker on the strong side.

Ted - The 'T' represents the 'T' in tight end. In a 4-3, the Ted is not used. In a 3-4 and 4-4 scheme, the Ted is the middle linebacker on the strong side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linebacker

LennG

If the TE switches sides on every other play, do the LBers also switch sides. So does the SAM become the WILL depending on where the TE lines up, or do they just stay where they are the entire game??
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

vette5573

The Linebacker will usually line up on the side of the TE. The Sam's responsibility is to cover the TE, unless he goes in after the QB. Then another linebacker or Safety will pick up the TE.

Many times the TE will stay in to block and that would be the Sam.

Then there are zone responsibilities in certain defenses.

In Spags system Torbor or Kiwi, line up with the TE in a base formation. That changes in the nickle and dime, based on the coverage called.

dasher

I remember number 70 calling the LB's Meg, Wanda, and Sarah.
How the terminology has changed - Mike, Will, and Sam.

chiller99

Also with the Sam and his duty on the field at times a call will come in from coach about open or closed to the t/e side of formation.When the opponent uses 2 t/e formation which t/e being "closed" also has to be decided. In a 4-3 the call  4-3 under closed left aligns Sam to the strong side,1 dt to the zero shade gap between center and guard and other d/t 3 technique to open weak side between guard and tackle.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

tmanic21

Quote from: LennG on January 05, 2008, 08:09:00 PM
If the TE switches sides on every other play, do the LBers also switch sides. So does the SAM become the WILL depending on where the TE lines up, or do they just stay where they are the entire game??

depends on the system, coach and scenario. The biggest determining factor would be coverage (man, you will them follow the shift, but not always). Nowadays in a lot of 4-3 overs you will see less reactionary shifting. Against a lot of 4-3 unders I would say the tendency is for more shifting, but its interesting for a team like the Chargers playing Gus Bradley's 4-3 under... their defensive ends to NOT shift based upon strong side and weakside, whereas the old school SEA D's would.
Football Analyst
@tmanic21 (twitter)
NY Giants Writer
www.cover1.net